“Amazing service in Portland”

Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Not only was this hotel in a great location, it offered the best AUTHENTIC service I have ever had. Not stuffy or pretentious, but genuine friendliness. We actually came back a week later just to catch our plane after a week's touring in Oregon. They welcomed us to stay for the day and even held a package for us. This is the only place I would stay in Portland.

1  Thank Robin S
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

I always wondered why hotel managers would train their employees to be stuffy and pretentious. Who wants that kind of service!? I love staying at smaller hotels where the staff becomes like family and friends. From the sound of things we nailed it. Thanks for the awesome review!

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Let's face it: Kimpton Hotels know how to provide superior customer service and fun and funky amenities. And RiverPlace is one of Kimpton's best hotels. The staff is AMAZING. We arrived a few minutes after the manager's cocktail reception ended and Ellie, at the front desk, went and got us a couple of glass of wine anyway. She also sent a complimentary goldfish to our room so we could have a pet for the night.

We ended up with an awesome room overlooking the courtyard on the second floor and the street. The bed was tastefully put in front of the big windows in the corner, and the mattress and pillows were so very comfortable. The Etro bath amenities were nice, as was the bathroom scale, big windows with shutters, yoga equipment and umbrella in the closet, and the plush robes.

I love seeing the dogs in the hotel with their guests. Everyone from staff to guest seemed so happy. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Isn't Ellie wonderful! Sorry you missed our wine hour but so glad to hear you still got to enjoy some vino before heading up to the room. Also i'm excited that you found our amenities we offer fun and unique it's what we strive to do!

See you soon,

Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

This place has service down as a first language. If you can afford it, upgrade to a King Suite. The beds are glorious and comfy. You won't want to leave. My husband and I have been to Portland several times. This hotel was the best by far and we will definitely be back next time we are in town!

Stayed: July 2014

The Bomb Diggity just maybe the best review title ever! Thanks for bringing that term back to express how much you enjoyed the service. Truly amazing!

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed one night while on house hunting visit to Portland. Nice views and great location for walking around downtown. Check in and valet were smooth and easy. The décor is awesome. I felt like my room was a hipper (if possible?) modern version of Mad Men. I like the little special touches and the spread in the morning to make my own coffee had me giddy with vanilla syrup for my iced cup. Go and enjoy.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a river view, but, it is easy to get outside so not necessary to have a view.
2  Thank TheBelafonte

I can totally see our decor being described as a hipper more modern version of Mad Men. That's a great compliment! I love what our designer, Gino Castano did with our property in my opinion it turned out amazing. Thanks for the review!

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Attentive personable staff. Entire staff seems sincerely interested in making the customer happy from the first encounter with valet and front desk to excellent wait staff and service in rooms. Happy hour nice touch and refreshing to see such enthusiasm in today's world.

Nice location and food very good in hotel. Relaxing walk along water and good restaurants close to hotel. Rooms very comfortable but the employees make the difference at this hotel and I rarely make comments about hotel visits. May be expensive but worth the extra cost.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Ok, I'll admit it, I love this hotel. Period. It's in a beautiful location on the river in Portland. The rooms are very comfy with lots of little details (like lots of outlets for charging devices). The restaurant is great - try the hand-formed cheeseburger. It's delicious. My husband and I stayed here for the annual Portland Blues Festival. The hotel is right next door to the venue. Yes, it's expensive, but it's literally right next to the festival. Love the afternoon wine tasting. So, please think about this hotel when you next visit Portland.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Ok I admit it. I love your review. Period! Thank you. See you next summer at the Blues festival.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

This is a comfy hotel, a step up from corporate hotels but the decor is a bit complicated and not necessarily practical : there is a big mirror in front of which you can stand to check on your outfit because there is a high round table in front of it ! - it feels a bit outdated

Room Tip: view on the marina is fine - thought that 31 dollars for the parking was a bit much
1  Thank roseke
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Thanks for the feedback. Most of our rooms do not have a table in front of the mirror. I will try to research what room you stayed in and see if we can't move that mirror to a better location. Sorry you didn't totally dig our new decor. Next time you come visit the valet parking charges are on me.