“Disappointing”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Southern Cal
“Disappointing”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Perhaps it was just the overall visit to Portland but was disappointing. Hotel a little hard to get to but right on the river. Nice park adjacent to the hotel. Room had a partial view of the river. Room was kinda small as well as the bathroom. Also, pets allowed so be wary of smells and dog barking late at night. Good service and restaurant downstairs was good.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Pinoy123
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
I am so sorry you felt disappointed. Please feel to contact me directly the next time you plan a visit to Portland, we will be sure to upgrade you to a nice spacious suite and give you some great local tips to help you better experience our wonderful city.

Hope to see you again so we can make up for this!

Ryan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed May 13, 2014

In March, my husband and I stayed two nights at the RiverPlace for our anniversary. WOW! It was a priceless experience! From the moment we pulled up to valet to check-in to the time the valet helped load our luggage on departure, it was truly a memorable two days! The wine, chocolate and note wishing us a Happy Anniversary, was a nice touch. The conceriege helped us with dinner reservations at Veritable Quandry (which we would not have found on our own), and it was another fantastic experience. Actually, he told us of 3 places, all of which we ate and were total foodie spots. Literally every staff member was welcoming, friendly and most helpful. This hotel is in a perfect location and our suite was right on the corner facing the river with beautiful expansile windows and a cool vibe. We will definitely be back when our travels bring us back to Portland.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HavinFun08
I am so glad to hear the staff showed you a great time. Come back and visit we have even more suggestions. This town is chock-full of foodie restaurants that you need to experience.

Mexico City
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Super nice hotel, very well located, spacious bathroom, excellent bed. The hotel is impeccable, they offer all kinds of details through your stay. Portland is amazing and we didn´t want to leave our room! Faultless stay, great if you want to run in the morning or walk at night. They also provide access to a very exclusive sport club around the corner. We got a suite with a separate bedroom, it was very private and had an amazing terrace.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Valentumina
Wow we are blushing over here. That is one amazing review. We wish you could have stayed longer too. Till next time!

Santa Monica, California, United States
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, and there are some really great things about it that are common to Kimpton hotels, but there were some annoying things too. First of all, our room had no closet space, and in fact nowhere to hang anything at all (no hangers). So although we were only there for a couple of days, we ended up with jackets and things hanging all over the towel hooks and the backs of chairs. This would have been a huge problem if travelling for business. And the toilet paper was in a super weird place, so you had to sort of swivel around on the toilet to reach it. A little thing, I know, but this is supposed to be the best hotel in Portland! As for location, it's in a nice spot by the water which was very pleasant. Downtown Portland is pretty walkable, so it doesn't really matter where you stay (we walked all the way to Powell's with no problems). There's a free happy hour from 5-6 pm where guests can get free wine or a cocktail and some little snacks. I'm pregnant and the bar was nice about providing free soft drinks for me while my husband had some wine. I had booked this hotel because I thought there was a pool, but you have to walk to the public fitness center next door to use a pool, which I didn't end up doing. Also, parking is a little pricey at about $30 a night, but the valet is pretty quick about getting your car for you when you need it. And as with all Kimpton hotels, it's super dog friendly. I love seeing puppies everywhere and don't even mind the occasional pee puddles and indoor woofing, but if this is something that will bother you you should stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: I guess try to ask for one with a closet if you have things you need to hang up!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Julie S
I am sorry we didn't knock it out of the park for you. I am a little confused about the no closet comment. Every guestroom we have has a closet with hangers. You may have thought it was a connecting door perhaps? We would love to have you back the next time you visit Portland. I promise we will use your feedback to improve.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I recently stayed at the RiverPlace hotel (Kimpton property) during a business conference in Portland. It was a great experience in the truest sense of the word. An "experience" is more than a bed to sleep in. It is about the creating an environment through people, sights, sounds, smells, and the touch of the place. It is about participation as much as destination. I enjoyed my stay at RiverPlace because it was a whole experience.

The staff were very friendly and proactive in finding my needs and preferences. They anticipated wanting a towel and water after a possible morning jog. They rewarded me with some “InstaLove” after posting to Instagram during my stay. They provided a happy hour with wine and morning coffee as well. The free access to bikes for a ride around the river is a really nice touch.

The room was very comfortable and stylish with amazing pillows, contemporary furnishings, and a great view of the river. I appreciated the multiple access areas to USB charge my phone, plug in the laptop, and the dock the iPod for my own personal tunes in the room.

If possible, I will definitly be staying there the next time I am in Portlandia.

Room Tip: Take advantge of the happy hour and complimentary services. Use the partnership with the RiverPlace...
Green Features: Promoting use of towels vs. washing them if not needed.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Marcus D
From your review it sounds like we nailed it! Creating an experience is exactly what we strive to do. If it’s taking advantage of our free bikes, hitting up our staff for their live like a local tips and exploring Portland , or simply coming down to join us for a glass of wine during our wine hour we got you covered. Thanks for your amazing remarks!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 12, 2014

RiverPlace is a 5 star hotel in a 4 star sheep's clothing. What sets this place apart is their exceptional service. Starting from the friendly valets, to the welcoming check-in with Ellie, to the personalized day plan from Chris, this hotel is all about a smile and service to their patrons. It's also in a great location right next to the riverfront, which was easily walkable to downtown Portland and the amazing food trucks (which Ellie had recommended to us her favorite spot). Bonus amenities include complimentary bikes to use, coffee and tea in the morning, fruit infused water during the daytime, and wine at night. And don't forget to register as a Kimpton InTouch member as there are benefits that come along with it too like free wifi. Another tip is to book through a yelp deal which saved us some money too. This hotel was very competitively priced with the other 4-star hotels from Hotwire and Priceline. Overall, if I come back to Portland, this is the only place I'm going to stay at.

Room Tip: Get a suite, it's nice to have the extra space.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Now those are some fantastic tips. Thanks for sharing and thanks for your kind words about Ellie. I am sure she will be excited to read your review and to know she had such an impact on your visit to Portland.

Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I stayed at RiverPlace for a night and loved it! The staff were friendly and accommodating, everything was clean, and the location and views couldn't be beat. Check-in was quick and accurate (and even came with a glass of wine). Right on the water and the park, everything was easily accessible. It's definitely a great location from which to explore the city center. The room itself was spotless, the bed was super comfy(!), and you couldn't hear the neighbors. I wish I could have stayed longer - i was certainly made to feel very welcome!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business