“20th wedding anniversary!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Reno, Nevada
“20th wedding anniversary!”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Kimpton RiverPlace hotel in Oregon. We had a really great time and hated to have to leave. I knew I was in a place I would love the minute we walked in. I was greeted by a smiling you woman who said 'Welcome to the RiverPlace Hotel, would you like a glass of wine!' The staff was consistently friendly and welcoming throughout our stay. The hotel is in a great location by the river which makes the surroundings quieter but is close enough to the restaurants and stores downtown to walk to. We will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: We had a city view which was nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Welcoming, smiling staff armed with free wine! Now who wouldn't love that. Thanks for the review!

Ryan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 10, 2014

The hotel is lovely; rooms decorated with Pendleton pillows, comfy beds, well-stocked bathroom. Charging stations cleverly placed in tables. Our sweet springer, Kalli was welcomed throughout... and better behaved than our kids I'd note. Location is great for an active dog, too: right on a wide green park. Portland is small enough that you're in walking distance to most places, but this is not the most central spot. Though what you get in return is a picturesque setting. We'll definitely return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Well we would love to have you, Kalli, and your kids come visit again sometime soon. We are gearing up for the busy family travel season and have some really cool family oriented amenities on the way.

Sydney
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Was here for 5 nights with a friend. It was a great hotel. We stayed in deluxe king rooms facing the river which are worth the little extra. The hotel staff were all friendly and so helpful. Having both travelled a long way the first couple of nights we ended up eating in the bar. On one night the chef cooked us a special meal as there was nothing on the bar menu that grabbed us - it was delicious and made for a special evening! It is located a little way from the downtown shopping area but not too far if you don't mind a bit of a walk - we did not take a cab anywhere and were fine. We joined the Kimpton club which gives you free wifi and a couple of other extras. This hotel was a great choice and I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 5, 2014

This was an overnight stay between planes. I liked the idea of staying on the waterfront, and also wanted to try a Kimpton property after all the typical chain hotels which are much the same everywhere.
I was welcomed with smiles and enthusiasm by the cheerful young clerks at the front desk. This property was renovated within an older building, and many of the unique Northwest style architectural features remain. There is a lot of wood, glass, and somewhat of a mixture of Art Deco, Bungalow, and just plain eclectic style everywhere. The hotel does indeed sit at the edge of a large park and the riverfront, as its name implies. There is a nice network of walkways nearby, and plenty of shops, with the city rising up the hill behind the hotel. had time to briefly explore the river walk and the upscale shops lining it. It's a great place to jog or people-watch.
My room had a very nice view of the river, and windows which actually opened lined one wall. Nice curtains did a good job blocking the light when necessary. The king-size bed looked enormous, and had luxurious linens and pillows. Frette bathrobes in the large closet, which had a safe. There was the usual flat-screen TV. There is a locked small refrigerator, with a good beverage selection available within, for purchase - also other convenience and snack items in an attractive basket in the TV console, also for purchase. There was a large corner table with chairs, and good lighting. The decor once again was an intriguing mix of Art Deco, mirrors, wood, nice fabrics, and perhaps a bit old-fashioned in a very luxurious way. The room itself was large, and the bed had a spectacular headboard behind it and two huge night tables and very unique decorative lamps above them.
The bathroom was medium-large, and had excellent towels and soaps, lotions, etc. There was a decorative shelf with a jar containing cotton balls, Q-tips, and other amenities The sink appeared brand new and quite modern in design. Very nice shower, but in all honesty the water pressure was a bit on the low side and the bathroom sink drained very slowly.
It was silent the entire night - I never heard anything from outside or adjoining rooms. Everything appeared very clean. Outstanding night's sleep in that huge comfortable bed with a pillow-top mattress which was just the proper degree of firmness. I hated to get up in the morning and could have slept all day in that wonderful bed.
The room decor was definitely a bit quirky in a unique and delightful way in keeping with this older renovated property, but it had a great personality and warmth and feeling of luxury not often found in the more sterile and modern hotels.
The front desk staff varied during my stay, but they were always smiling, courteous, helpful, and addressed me by name after the first time they met me. i needed a cab upon checkout, and the staff called a cab for me, which appeared in minutes. The doorman loaded my bags and bid me a pleasant journey, and I felt like royalty.
Other than the minor issues with the shower and sink, I had a wonderful, comfortable stay and will definitely stay at this hotel again next time I visit Portland.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view - it's spectacular.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank NewWorld2C
Thank you for branching out of the norm to check out what Kimpton Hotels have to offer. From the sound of things we made you a fan. Hope to see you the next time you visit Portland.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 1, 2014

And,if we ever go back to Portland we won't go anywhere else. This hotel was a little more than our usual, but totally worth it. Easy walking to everywhere. (For us, some people might disagree, but Portland is a pretty small city.) I loved staying in a place with a beautiful calming view of the river, and then being able to bop downtown within blocks. Everyone was super nice, and not the least bit pretentious. I want to go back just writing this review!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
Green Features: What..no public stairs? We had to tkae an elevator up one flight?!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sblairp
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Haha, I ask that question all time! I never understand why travelers choose those big boring box hotels!? Thanks for the glowing review, its going on our wall of fame.

See you soon,

San Jose, California
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Stayed here for five nights in one of their one-bedroom suites, and we had an amazing time! Service was top-notch, location was convenient but also scenic, and we were able to have a memorable Portland experience. We can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Worth the extra money to get a suite
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Congratulations! Thanks for spending such a memorable time in your life with us. Hope to see you on those anniversaries.

Coronado, California
Reviewed March 31, 2014

A quick trip to Portland for my kid's spring break and what a great choice we made in staying at the River Place Hotel. I cannot recommend high enough - the staff were terrific without being Eddie Haskell phony nice. Our room had amazing views of the river with always something to watch out front. Plus, you spill out the front door and get to pretend that you are like the other super nice, hippie types walking past with their oh so sexy athletic gear - not at all like the Shades of Grey tourism board would have you believe. While lots of restaurants in walking distance, who wants to leave the hotel when they plow you with free wine every night plus cookies for the tweenies'. There was also two farmers markets close by; one with fresh food the other with "Made in Portland" tchotchkes that were classic. My only thing was the TV remote didn't work but not enough to spoil my contact high being around so many nice people. The key to customer service? Sludge happens but then make it up with swag, wine and smiles. Call out props to Sokhun Keo for following up on one of my nits.

Room Tip: River front pricey but probably worth it. They were cleaning the restaurants grease trap which made...
Green Features: I loved their magazine about environmental outreach with conservation groups. Wish I took it but felt guilty so left it.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank KellyandMcKenzy
I am serious when I say Sokhun has not stopped smiling since he read your review!! I think he has told everyone that he got his own personal “call out” on Tripadvisor. Thank you for making his day. Oh and PS those magazines are made for you to take so please take one the next time you come and visit. Well, off I go to put on my sexy athletic gear to go run around the river. See you soon.