This review should be qualified by saying that Portland is truly a walking / transit / taxi city and so there really is no "bad" hotel in SW Portland. Having said this, staying waterfront should not discourage anyone who is interested in visiting attractions such as the food pods, Pioneer Square, or even the Rose Gardens.
Portland is divided into four primary areas, SW, NW, SE, and NE. The Riverplace is in the SW corner of the city, offering views of downtown, the docks, and the waterfront. Having just visited (March 2014), I hope the following review gives you a good idea and "lay of the land".
Location: very good - walking around the city, we saw other hotels, including "The Nines", and "The Monaco", the latter also being a Kimpton property. Both are closer to center city, so it really depends on what you are looking for and looking to see. The reason that the location is not a big deal, is that it is only about 10 minutes to the Max / Trimet (Public Transit) system. Cross the street, walk two blocks to 2nd street, hang a right and go down to Yamhill, pay your $5 and you're set. We took the transit to visit the Rose Garden / Japanese Garden. If you are visiting Powell's Books or catching a Timber's Game, the route is also the same. We were fortunate enough to catch a Blazer's game as well and so you take the tram in the opposite direction "across the river." (Willamette).
Service: very good. Courteous staff, bartender, front desk etc. The only complaint was that the doormen on staff upon our arrival, were busy chatting and did not greet or offer luggage assistance. This being said, the others who we saw the remainder of the stay were fine. I happen to be of the opinion that newly arriving guests are most likely tired from a flight and would like attention. Housekeeping is good, but just so you know, there is no turn down service.
Food and beverages: very good - excellent staff, who are attentive and make good conversation. Definitely have a meal at Three Degrees - as with most of the food scene in Portland, the cuisine is creative and fusion based.
Amenities and cleanliness: no complaints - hotel is clean, as are the rooms. The rooms are basic and the bathroom is on the small side, but fine. Water pressure a little weak, but the hot water is hot. Portland has softer water, so just a heads up.
Other useful info:
- As a photo hobbyist, having the location provided by the Riverfront, gave me ample opportunities to shoot the city / waterscapes over a 4 day and rainy stay. The shots I posted are about 2 minutes from the hotel.
- 5 minutes from the closest Starbucks (located in a business center)
- Our room had windows that fully opened (great for photogs)
- About 5 minutes from Waterfront restaurants i.e McCormick and Schmidts
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay Tranquil. A landmark presence on the riverfront, Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel captures the innovative essence and intimate hospitality of the Pacific Northwest. A haven of warmth and tranquility, RiverPlace is a charming refuge located at the base of Portland's city center. Stay closely connected or blissfully removed - RiverPlace is an immersion in care, comfort and quality. The hotel offers personalized experiences tailored to guest's individual needs and interests, from complimentary wireless high speed Internet, DVD players and complimentary access to the Oregon Athletic Club at RiverPlace. Guests also enjoy our Three Degrees Waterfront Bar & Grill, one of the city's most popular spots. Everything about this restaurant feels welcoming and comfortable - including our guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Larkspur Collection Portland
- Riverplace Hotel Larkspur Collection