“I Love Kimpton Hotels”

Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Together with Hotel Marlowe in Boston, the Kimpton River Place in Portland, Oregon is up there with a big 10 or excellent score. The staff at River Place was relaxed and very welcoming and helpful. They gave us (concierge) the direction to the exercise club and swimming pool and provided us with tons of advice. Every morning before we left to go swimming, we had our coffee in the lobby and enjoyed reading the local paper and the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal. What distinguishes the River place is that the staff have a room where you can see art work (hand bags, etc.) that they produce with their own hands and other artifacts from local artisans in Portland. My wife bought a couple of hand bags as Christmas gifts for our grandchildren. We were welcomed by enthusiastic front desk staff that told us that they had upgraded our room to a suite and we were elated with the view of the river that the suite was located at. It was a very comfortable room and the nights (4) that we spent there were the most restful we had ever had in a long time. The wine hour was always very enjoyable and we simply love it because we can speak to other guests and it is a nice way to relax at the end of the afternoon. The food that we had at the Three Degrees restaurant was excellent and we had breakfast and dinner there. The servers in the restaurant made a whole lot of difference because their service was attentive and we did not have to wait for the quality food (especially the herb crusted halibut) we were served. Upon our departure, the concierge got our car, gave us the exact route to follow to get to the I5 and put a couple of fresh bottled water in our car. It can't get any better than this! By the way the location of this hotel is very close to Portland's fabulous Street Car System of public transportation and the hotel is within an easy walking distance of the downtown area.

Room Tip: Request your choice of floors and location of the room and the view you wish to have when you make t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Thank you for the comparison to the Marlowe Hotel! I too am a big fan of their service. Glad that the staff made the stay a relaxing one. See you soon.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is not my first stay at Riverplace, and not my first review. However, I think it's worth repeating this is a great hotel and worth staying at every time you're in Portland. I travel to Portland from southern Oregon and love staying at this hotel. It's close to everything, just a short cab ride to down town, OHSU, the tram, and a great place to walk from along the waterfront. I love taking my dogs for the walk around the river front, across the bridges for a great loop!

The staff is AWESOME from the moment you pull in the driveway till the time you drive away. Check in is always a breeze. The rooms are so nice with gorgeous city and river views. When you make your reservation be sure to choose the view you want. This property sells out often and moving around is not an option in a full hotel. If you're in town for a couple days or more and want to really pamper yourself get the river front bedroom suite. The river views and fireplace make relaxing after a day of exploring! I upgraded on this trip and am so glad that I did. It's an amazing property with extremely helpful staff!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Wow thanks for taking the time to write a second review about our property and staff. Your comments were a joy to read! Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

The RiverPlace Hotel in Ptld is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at. From the glass of wine that I received upon my arrival to the friendly and helpful staff to the quiet rooms this is a great hotel. I stayed here for a couple of weeks on business and the staff made me feel right at home. Being light sleeper I've never had a problem sleeping at this hotel (have stayed more than 10 nights). The entire staff is great but a special shout-out to Jaime at the front desk, to the two Rich's (bell staff) to Jon in the kitchen. The location is suberb too with access to the great Ptld waterfront and the downtown area to the miles of bicycle trails. I brought my road bike with me and there are miles and miles of trails right from the hotels front door. Rich was great in telling me about all the great bike trails near the hotel. I can't say enough great things about this hotel.

Room Tip: I've stayed on both the river side and the downtown side and there really isn't a discernabl...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Your review made it onto our Facebook page. We took a picture of the staff you commented on so now they are famous! They are thrilled they made such a impact on your visit to the RiverPlace. Thank you.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We're visiting Portland and picked the RiverPlace hotel because my husband misses being close to the water. The room itself is very nice and spacious, the greeting at the hotel was good and the valet staff are nice. Unfortunately, the Three Degrees Restaurant in the hotel isn't great. We ate lunch there our first day and spent the entire meal listening to a very loud group of servers and bartenders talk about some drink they were trying to concoct and personal chitchat. Strike One. Strike Two - it doesn't serve breakfast before 8 on the weekends and even though we let them know politely that we had to get our breakfast and be out in by 8:30 because we needed to be someplace else by 10, the waiters response was that there is no hurry on Saturdays. I got my breakfast at 8:22 and had 8 minutes to wolf it down and turn the check around. So, there is hurrying on Saturdays, just not on the part of the restaurant. We come back to the hotel to rest a bit before dinner, and find out they are having a wedding right outside our room, so of course it's going to be loud for a while. I called downstairs to find out how late the wedding was going, which wasn't that late, but I also asked if the wedding party was on our floor because of all the noise outside our room and found out the brides right next door. Of course I'm not going to ask them to be quiet, it's a wedding for Pete's sake, but all of this means that I have not enjoyed my stay very much. After so many reviews praising how accomodating and nice everyone is, I expected much more than this.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

I am so sorry you felt disappointed in the restaurant service and we did not meet your expectations when you experienced some noise from the wedding party. I have shared your feedback with the restaurant GM and we will certainly address the personal chitchat amongst our staff. Thank you so much for providing your feedback and again I am sorry we had not provided better service throughout your stay.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in August, 2013. Superb location on the waterfront next to a park. Walking distance to restaurants. Really nice rooms, with a flair. Lots of help at the front desk and conceirge. Nice bar with outside seating overlooking the river and park. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights as part of our 5th anniversary celebration. This was our first Kimpton hotel stay and we were very pleasantly surprised. We stayed in a riverfront fireplace suite and it was wonderful. Even in August, the nights were cool enough for us to light a fire. The view of the Willamette River was beautiful and we were close to the bike/walking paths on both sides of the river while also not being too removed from downtown Portland. The service was exceptional with friendly staff in all departments. We also enjoyed breakfast on the terrace and even the room service food! There were nice touches around the hotel to cater to guests including refreshing water coolers in the lobby, happy hour with free wine/beer, and running GPS and bikes to borrow. The staff were also considerate in giving us a complimentary bottle of wine and chocolate for our anniversary. Portland is a delightful city with so much to do both indoors and outdoors, and the RiverPlace Hotel is a wonderful place to stay to enjoy it.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor and enjoyed our view very much but probably the 3rd floor would have been...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This was our first stay at this hotel and now will not stay anywhere else while in Portland. Everything from the location, beautiful room, friendly staff, gym, bikes and we especially loved the happy hour where we were able to sample some lovely local wines. Being a yoga fanatic I especially appreciated the yoga mat in the room along with free access to yoga on demand videos a really nice touch!! We cannot say enough about this hotel and are looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: River view room was fantastic!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

You can’t go wrong with Kimpton Hotels if you are a yoga fan. We take our yoga serious! Each guestroom in every one of our hotels comes equipped with a yoga mat. Heck we will even roll a mat out for you and provide fresh fruit and water upon request. How is that for service!

Thanks for the review,