“The best stay EVER!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Rosa
“The best stay EVER!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This place rocks. The hotel is in a perfect location. Right downtown and on the water front. extraordinary. From the moment we arrived, we were impressed. The staff is awesome, friendly, efficient, personable, knowledgeable, available and professional. They made the stay the best ever. From the reception, to concierge, to our breakfast server, to the graveyard front desk guy with the baby puppy. Each was a pleasure to meet, greet, ask questions, get assistance and advice. The Valet crew was the best ever also. They were spot on and had their game at its peak. They treated us with kid gloves when we first landed with two dogs and lots of luggage. They are people persons able to interact as hotel ambassadors. They are well selected, highly trained and very efficient. When I informed the Valet I would be leaving within the hour, my car was parked out front and they were super fast on getting me my keys. Aces to them. The hotel is impeccable. Clean, stylish, modern, beautiful, well placed on the waterfront, amazing room, wonderful city view, great amenities, love the bed and its bedding. Room accommodations were A+. We asked for a room with a view and on a higher floor and they delivered, extra plus for hospitality at its FINEST!
Front desk was punctual, efficient and professional. All things I appreciate when I check out.
Huge kudos to the staff and when we return I want to meet your general manager and shake his hand. We are anxious to return to the city and will definelty stay with you when we are there. Thank you for hospitality, service and accommodations. We love ya.
Rick Young

Room Tip: Pet friendly to the max. They made our dogs feel like guests. Loves that. Of course, they made us fe...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Wow sounds like we nailed it!! I would love to meet you and shake your hand the next time you are visiting. Hope to see you sometime this summer!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel for 10 years when we come in two or three times a year to visit family. Our last three trips have been under the Kimpton management. We are glad to see our usual valet staff who have always been warm and welcoming. I have found the front desk staff very helpful and really make an effort to greet everyone with a smile. This visit we were in a renovated room and it was lovely. I especially liked the number of outlets in the bedside tables and in the desk, more than enough to charge all your devices. The beds are great and I love that you can open a window to get fresh air.

The restaurant and bar area are undergoing renovation, so the access was limited. The waitstaff in the restaurant for breakfast, however, was cheerful and efficient. In past visits, it could be a long wait for service, but the new waitstaff is well-trained. The bar waiter, not so much. One evening we ordered dessert and drink and felt we were bothering him. However, that has not been our usual experience and it may have been an off night. I love the porch area. It is a relaxing spot to sip tea or wine and enjoy portland. The location is perfect in that it is in the city but peaceful. I think anyone who comes here will feel at home and welcome. I do think the valet charge is high, however. We always use the workout center and it is large, clean, and enough machines. I noticed two bikes near the entrance to borrow for a ride also.

Room Tip: We have stayed in a variety of accommodations and have never had a bad room. I do not like staying i...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thanks for your loyalty! I love that you enjoyed our newly remodeled guestrooms. So much fun aren’t they! I would like to apologize for the bartender and his service. I will share your comment with the General Manager of 3 Degrees. Thanks for such a detailed review of your experience. See you soon.
Pasadena, California
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Having stayed ay many hotels, and many of them being Kimpton, throughout my young life, this was the best stay I've ever had. My girlfriend, pup and I all really loved visiting Portland a lot, but this stay made it even more home-y for us. We are visiting different cities as possible places to live in the next few years, and this about did it for us. All of the staff was not only nice and friendly, but very helpful and knowledgeable. We were always greeted as we walked by the front desk and it was always with a smile. The rooms we stayed in were all neat and clean, which is how it should be, but often times it doesn't end up that way. I say rooms because we originally planned to stay 4 nights in our King Executive Suite, but decided a day or two before we were to check out that we wanted to extend our stay. Maya helped us and tried to get us to stay in the same room we were currently in, but kindly explained that she would do her best because there were other guests that were gonna occupy the King Exec Suite the day we were supposed to check out. She worked with us on getting a room on the same floor since we all find it a hassle to have to move rooms for one night. Like the King Exec Suite, the King Deluxe room was just as neat and clean. The views on the river side are all very nice. John helped us out a lot the first few nights we were there and he was great as well.

Overall, the stay here is comfortable and very clean. I love the coffee in the morning as well. I'd say the only downside of a hotel in any downtown, in general, is the lack of a self parking garage. Luckily, there was plenty of street parking available and even the Valet attendent, told me that it would be the cheaper route for us since we were staying so long. Thus, we tipped him on our way out. He also gave us great tips for places to go in the city and surrounding neighborhoods. I forget his name, but he had a dark, stubbly beard, young, dark complexion and very knowledgeable of the city. Also, when we got back home, we realized that we left our dog's bath towel in the second room we stayed at, so I called and spoke to Maya. She transferred me to lost and found, but they didn't answer so I left a message. Nick returned my call the next day and told me he was checking on it and that he would let me know if he had found it or out. He called me back and let me know he didn't find it, but would still keep searching. Well, the day after that he found it and he is shipping it out to me. I love that they were able to find it!

If you're looking for a place to stay in Portland, RiverPlace is the place. They can not only give you a nice stay, but great suggestions on where to grab some good eats. I will definitely be back and staying with you all. Thanks again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank haylo365
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed in Portland at the RiverPlace hotel over the Easter weekend for 3 nights. We were weighting up whether to stay in the city center or just outside and the RiverPlace was just about perfect.
Its at the bottom of a park that stretched along the river, so that it was only a 10-15 minute walk along the park to get into the city center, and maybe 20 minutes to walk to the NBA game at the rose center. (there was also a great 5km loop using the bridges from the hotel)
We stayed in a newly refurbed room, and although we had an issue with a late check-in, this was dealt with very well by the staff. We enjoyed the hotel bar and restaurant - the patio for the bar in particular was a great spot getting the sun for a good portion of the day.
As for Portland itself, we caught an NBA game, went over to the Pearl district, which had a lot of character bars, restaurants and shops and made it up to the Japanese gardens overlooking the city. Stop by some of the food trucks as you wander round the city and don't hesitate to ask any of the hotel staff for suggestions - we got some of our best ones from them. Enjoy!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Glad that you enjoyed our location. If you ask me we are in a perfect spot. Quiet area with great views of the river and bridges but yet just a few minute walk from the city center. Also glad you caught a NBA game while you were in town. Go Blazers!
Bend
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Love this Hotel, Love Kimpton.
We stayed here on Valentines Day, but a trip for business meeting next day. We arrived late
and tired. They immediately gave us each a glass of wine. They had desserts and candy on
the welcome table, and they were so kind. I felt like we were in someone's guest house rather
than a hotel. I feel this way most often at Kimpton. Yea.. They so set a standard for Hip, we
can relate to You service. We borrowed their bikes the next day for a ride along the river and
over the bridge and back (they are on the river). They found helmets and bikes to fit us.
Complimentary. . . and Happy TO DO SO. All this before recent remodel. Cannot wait to return to see this. Thank you.

Room Tip: River side, but really street side is pleasant as well. Court yard not my favorite
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We love this review! I also love the fact that we treated you like family rather than a customer. See you next time!
Lakewood, Washington
Reviewed April 27, 2013

The staff was wonderful and we had no problems with them, but certain issues we ran into during our stay were as follows:

- drain in the tub was broken
- upon our arrival, the sheets on our bed were dirty with dark red and brown stains
- there was a musky smell
- the midnight snack we ordered from room service was sub par
- the valet was very distant and aloof
- the hor d'oeuvres that were served during the wine tasting were created by the chef and were amazingly bad tasting (I think it was a smoked salmon won ton type of food, they were stale and possibly undercooked), they even managed to mess up chocolate chip cookies.
- when we went to the bar, the staff were very unpleasant and didn't feel the need to help us, so after 20 minutes, we went back to the room.

amongst some other things that I can't recall at the moment because I can't find my list from when I was there in February. That was our first big trip that we have ever taken since I have been in the military and it was somewhat of a let down, however, we are excited to stay in the hotel again because of it's great location downtown and are giving it another shot. I hope that a lot of these things will be fixed for our stay that is coming up soon.

Room Tip: get a room that shows you downtown so you can see the lights. the mucky river view isn't worth...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I cannot apologize enough that you experienced so many issues throughout your stay. Sounds like we dropped the ball big-time. I will share your feedback with my Executive Team today and we will address each one of these issues. Please call the hotel directly at 503-228-3233 and ask for Ryan the next time you do choose to stay with us and we will make this right. Thanks for your providing your feedback.
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I do not know if this hotel was always a Kimpton, butL it sure very cool now with all the updates. Great service, and I always feel comfy in a Kimpton property. I loved walking the waterfront and watching the rowers! Walking distance to about everything downtown!

Room Tip: I like the water view rooms!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family