“Loved every moment!”

Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 8, 2008

I loved, loved, loved this hotel. I arrived late at night and was so frazzled from the traveling. I got to my room and it was so welcoming and relaxing! Luckily the bar was still open and they were kind enough to fix me something to eat which I took to my room. The bed was unreal! I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud! Everything was fantastic from the dining room to the excellent room service. I can not wait to go back again!

Plus.. I got a great rate through "Travel Portland". This site has a number of discounted hotel and they all include continental breakfast and parking.. a real savings!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank CindyHawaii
There are newer reviews for Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel

Reviewed May 5, 2008

Won this hotel on priceline for $120/night for May 2-5. All weekend, I experienced a love/hate relationship with this property. First, I was concerned about the location...it is a good 10-20 minute walk to the downtown areas, which isn't a big deal in comfortable shoes, but one night after dinner we couldn't get a cab, and the mile-long walk in high heels was killer. Note that cabs are not easily available in Portland and you generally must call for one.

The decor of this hotel is not exactly 4-star traditional or 4-star boutique--I'm not sure what it is; the headboards are painted blue, as is the armoire, and the desk is a wooden mission-style. There is a black-painted mini bar with a dark wood top, and the walls are very beige, as are the curtains and bedding. The bathroom, which is huge, by the way, is yellow and white. I can't pinpoint the style of this place. We have a deluxe room known as "city view", which is actually a view of the freeway. Also, the hallway of our floor (3rd) has patches of construction/paint every few feet.

The room is relatively small, as there are 2 beds crammed into it. My partner found his bed firm and comfortable; I found mine lumpy and uncomfortable. The down pillows are packed too loosely, and deflate to nothing when you lie on them. For a side-sleeper like myself, I had to request several extras to keep my head up.

Really, the only reason I can figure the hotel earned it's 4th star is through the amenities it offers: free wi-fi, down comforters, plush robes, 24 hour room service, onsite restaurant and bar, all of which we enjoyed. The toiletries are generously sized, though I'm unfamiliar with the brand and the scents were too medicinal for my taste.

Riverplace is currently renovating the rooms to include more modern marble baths, and there is a sign in the lobby that says due to bathroom renovation, you may experience some water-pressure problems, M-F. Well, we had those problems on Sat and Sun, as well. The tub and sink did not drain easily, and the toilet handle had to be held down during the entire flush. Minor inconveniences, but on Monday (as I write this), there is heavy construction going on in the room next door and the noise is deafening...my partner and I can't even hold a conversation! The jackhammers started at around 8am, and so much for our plans for a leisurely Monday morning with room service and a chance to read the paper before our train leaves this afternoon. Our floors and windows are literally vibrating at this moment.

So--if you bid on a 4-star on priceline, be aware you may get this hotel during its renovation. While it is clean and the staff is reasonably friendly, though far from attentive, I really wish we had gotten another hotel. I definitely wouldn't stay here again while the hotel is under construction.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Velvalee
Reviewed March 23, 2008

Haven't stayed at the RiverPlace in 5 or 6 years and wasn't sure what to expect. Things have actually improved. New owners have installed great new beds and bedding, redone the bar area and hired some of the nicest employees anywhere. The rooms are very comfortable - albeit the inside rooms don't have any view at all but are still really nice. The location is great if you want to be blocks from anywhere downtown but still on the river with parks and shopping at your fingertips. A perfect spot for enjoying all that Portland has to offer.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed February 19, 2008

This is a really nice hotel and we'll definitely consider it the next time we're in Portland. The employees couldn't have been nicer or more helpful (despite being crazy busy, the valet actually went to my parked car and fetched my hat for me). Our room was nice and big and the bed was super-comfortable. We were a little worried about the location and if we could walk downtown, but we had no problem getting into the heart of downtown within a few minutes. If you are a big walker, you can get pretty much anywhere downtown on foot, no problem. The bar and restaurant were nice and had a nice view of the river. We got this hotel through Priceline so it was a great deal too.

Only complaint was the lack of parking options, which resulted in a lot of money for valet parking (26 bucks a night, which is pretty steep for Portland). The valet himself gave us other options but none of them worked well for us so we just sucked it up and paid.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue N
Reviewed January 22, 2008

We have just returned from a wonderful weekend in Portland and a very comfortable stay at the RiverPlace Hotel. It has a neat, clean and luxurious feel, though the decor is what I might call modern rustic. (lots of wood, but clean lines.) The staff seems very well trained and is always friendly and willing to go an extra little bit.

The room was average size with a nice writing desk and comfy chair. Bathroom was small for a luxury hotel, but well appointed and with a great showerhead. All of the rooms seemed to have large windows which actually open. (even in the winter, i like a spot of fresh air.)

The beds were wonderful. Firm and feathery (I think it was a pillowtop) with very soft and satiny cotton sheets. We both slept great. Turndown service. Just a luxury feel about this place.

I rated this hotel as Excellent, but will say that my judgment is slightly colored by the very low price we paid through priceline. If i had paid the going online price, I may have found more things to pick at like a rather small lobby... but it would be difficult to find fault. We will absolutely stay here next time we go to Portland.

One more note- while it is a downtown hotel, it is slightly out of the downtown spirit of things. That is, it's more a part of the whole new riverwalk area and doesn't feel like the city center. For some, that's good, for others, it's not. You have to walk about 3 blocks to be amongst the concrete and high rises. Also, the hotel allows dogs, so you can walk right out with your pooch and stroll along the river for hours.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kawh
Reviewed December 28, 2007

The hotel is in a great location, but they have different standards for what they call a junior suite and what I would call a junior suite, or just about everything else.
First the good stuff: great location, right on the river. We travel with our dog, and this is a dog friendly hotel.
Rooms are well kept, modern, and the staff was very acomodating.
But their junior suite was a small room, that is it-- one room, with a queen size bed. If you want a suite, start at the parlor level.
Bringing the dog to Portland - a great place to stay because of the river walk. But, probably for a suite I would recommend The Heathman, The Vintage Plaza, or The Benson.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2007

Wife and I were in town for one evening, to see a show...The bottom line is that they made a small-timer (me) feel like their most valued guest! Inexpensive? Not particularly, but top-of-the-line rarely is. Of course, there's always Shilo Inn's for much less money, but if you prefer clean, odor free, comfortable rooms and incredible service then you needn't look further than Riverplace.

Furthermore, my wife became ill in the wee hours of the morning, I had everything we needed within only a few moments of asking. The interactions I had with various employees was superb; a testament to the fact that they are doing things right from the top down.

We travel a great deal and never write these types of reviews, but this time it was different. Even only a one-night stay left us with the impression that not only will we return, but that there really no longer exists a comparable alternative.

A+, good job everyone.