“Never Again”

Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Ranked #3 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I'm sorry to report that I won't stay at a Kimpton Hotel again. Every single breath you take costs you. I was told in the restaurant that if I brought food to my room, that I'd have to pay $1 extra. Well, no, they charge the $2.50 standard room delivery rate plus 18% gratuity. I didn't want to wait for my food, but I wasn't told the correct information about the charge. the service was OK though. And beware of bringing your car. On this visit, just like my first visit, my car came out from the Valet service scratched and dented. I won't risk an extra charge on my car rental. Never again!

Room Tip: Go for a water side for the view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Suzan M
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

I would like to apologize about the extra cost to bring up restaurant food to your guestroom. I am confused on why we would be charging you an extra dollar on top of the delivery cost? I will look into this. This is the first I am hearing about a scratch and or dent that occurred in our garage. Was this issue reported to anyone? I would be more than happy to assist.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,765)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at this location for two nights on a trip to California. By all accounts, the staff were always very friendly and accomodating...no matter what type of question, they seemed willing to get what answers they could. The rooms are well appointed although depending on the location of your room you may well simply have a view of another part of the hotel. The wifi service is a charge although you can easily get around that by simply (and painlessly) joining the Kimpton guest program.

The hotel is conveniently located on the riverfront, offering a great walking path and is within about a 15 minute walk to the touristy section of Portland. We did not eat at the hotel, instead taking advantage of the many other opportunities in Portland.

Room Tip: some rooms overlook other parts of the hotel, so you may want to get a better feel as to in what dir...
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My husband and I visited Portland for the first time this trip for his birthday. Ever since I booked the hotel stay back in December I have been so excited to see and experience it for myself after reading all the reviews and seeing the pics. Let me tell you what this place is absotuletly amazing!! From the staff to the rooms; every part has been wonderful. Upon check-in I had asked if there was any way to upgrade our room (we had a river view king and I had really wanted a room with a fireplace) and I was under the impression the only room available with a fireplace was a city view room. Maya (the wonderful lady who checked us in) did a few clicks and informed me that what she had available was even better than I thought, it was one of their condos that was river view with a fire place and a balchony!! I was soo thrilled! We were a little early so she had a very nice gentleman store our luggage while we walked around the river walk until she called us to let us know our room was ready. I have been soo pleased and I am definitely going to recommend this property to every one!

-One Happy Customer :)

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Wow I am so glad that Maya helped you and your husband out and made your stay at the RiverPlace so special. I have shared your comments with Maya and she is thrilled with your feedback, thank you so much.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in February. This hotel really stepped up to help us out. We had made a mistake in our reservation and made it for a couple days later than we meant to. When we realized the mistake the front desk was very accommodating and although they were almost fully booked found us a room with a river view and even gave us an upgrade to the condo-style room. The view of the marina and river is beautiful. The hotel is clean and our condo-style room was awesome - we wish we could have stayed longer. We really appreciate the staff being so helpful with finding us a room at the last minute in a situation that could have been stressful. We missed the wine hour but were given vouchers for two free drinks at the bar. We had a late dinner at the bar and really enjoyed the lively atmosphere. It was jazz week and the hotel bar had a live band playing the night we stayed. Beautiful hotel, highly recommend.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Everything about this hotel was exceptional! Every person we interacted with went above and beyond. I can't wait to stay there again!! Attention was paid to every detail. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in. A wonderful hotel!

• Stayed: February 2013
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

With amazing comments like that we can’t wait to have you back!! Thank you so much.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Our daughter and son-in-law gave us an overnight stay at the RiverPlace Hotel in Portland as an gift. Having read excellent reviews we were looking forward to a great stay. To be very honest it is a wonderful hotel and most likely it deserves an excellent rating but we gave it a very good rating for several reasons. First, all the employees of the hotel were great! All willing to answer any questions quickly and offer any assistance required. The hotel was spotless and almost everything was prefect. However, there were a few factors we had to take into consideration.

First there was a large stain on the sofa that was well hidden but the cushion came down and there it was. Secondly, the local trains did pass by most of the night making more noise than they should. Being on the second floor suit, the lights did shine directly into the room but pulling the curtains did remove the light. Last, we wanted to start a fire in the wood fireplace and only found large logs with one log starter but no kindling which would have made starting the fire more easy. Not a big deal but if the hotel wants to be top rated in Portland it must correct these small items. We did eat an excellent dinner at the Three Degrees and will write that up soon. Overall I would go back there which is while I gave it a very good. Very close to an excellent.

Room Tip: We stayed in 225 which was a 1 bedroom suite. It faced downtown Portland and down river from the be...
2  Thank david w

I’m so sorry we didn’t provide that 5 star experience. When you stay with us again please do not hesitate to ask one of the staff members to get that fire started for you, we are always happy to help. As far as the stain on the sofa I am so sorry that was there and we will be sure to take care of it. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Recently stayed at the River Place in Portland; having stayed in many of the hotels in the area we
were particularly happy to find a place close to town (walking distance and/or the local light rail)
which offered such great accommodation. We loved the extra perks; free bikes; wine hour
and home made cookies; ni

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank artist10160878

Glad to hear you enjoyed our location. I would agree it’s a pretty unique experience to get such a lovely view of the river and a place that feels so relaxed only within a few blocks from the center of downtown. Hope to see you soon.