“Fabulous Hotel”

Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The property is gorgeous and the customer service is phenomenal. I travel all the time for business. My experience at this hotel has made me only want to stay at Kimpton properties. The food is really good at the bar and the staff is exceptional. Great job RiverPlace Hotel, because you now have a dedicated customer. Thank you!

Room Tip: I stayed in a suite and it was fabulous
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

I just love it when we win over a road warrior! We hope to see you every time you visit the Portland area. Thanks so much for your kind words about our staff.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel

Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband and I just stayed at this hotel last weekend. We stayed in the one bedroom riverfront fireplace suite. We plan to stay here every time we come to Portland to visit my husband's family. The suite was clean and very comfortable to stay in. The location was very convenient for us as well. From the moment we drove up to the hotel to checking out, the staff gave excellent service. I would like acknowledge, Maya, who was at the front desk. She gave awesome service!!! I told her the secret word that they post on Facebook (it changes every month) and she gave us a free bottle of champagne!! It was an excellent partner to the Papa Haydn's desserts that we bought at Zupans!!! Also, the room service comes to the room very quickly and it is VERY delicious. My husband and I were very hungry after arriving from our flight at 9PM. We ordered the hamburger with sweet potato fries. It was delicious and they gave a lot. It was enough to feed both of us.

I highly recommend staying at this hotel. It does not get any better than this!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for the special mention about Maya! We are so lucky to have her at the front desk. Maya brings such a warm loving personality to her service every single day. I will be sure to share your comments with her.
Thank you!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I've had two trips to RiverPlace in the last month, and I'll be there again soon. I work in Portland but live elsewhere, so I'll be coming back regularly. My last stay was for five nights, and I have nothing but great things to say. The entire staff is supremely friendly, and greeted me warmly every time I walked in the doors. They were profession and very quick to respond to any needs.

The rooms have been very quiet, and very comfortable. They are nicely appointed, but not outlandish/modern like other Kimptons. This is a good thing, in my opinion. The rooms have a very soft, cozy feeling that helped me feel at 'home' during my stay. The beds are incredibly comfortable!

The restaurant and lounge both offer excellent, reasonably priced meals. The lounge is more affordable than the regular dining room, but neither is inappropriately priced. The food was excellent. The beer selections were limited but excellent, and they had a nice assortment of whiskeys.

The location is unbeatable. Right next to downtown, but on the river. To me, that means it's an easy walk to work, but at night I felt like I was on vacation. There's lots of things within walking distance, or borrow a bike for free and cruise around.

The best part? Walking in the door a little after 5pm after a stressful day of work to be greeted by a smiling wine steward holding a glass of complimentary wine in my direction!

Well done, RiverPlace. I can't wait to be back in a few weeks!

Room Tip: If you can get an upgrade to a suite, it's worth it. The standard rooms are a little smallish. T...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

I love the fact that you are becoming such a regular and that we can accommodate both a business and leisure experience for you when you stay at the RiverPlace. We can’t wait to see you again and greet you with a great local glass of wine.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had a great weekend getaway at RiverPlace Hotel. It was our anniversary so along with a nice complimentary bottle of wine, was a hand drawn, hand written card wishing us a happy anniversary! The service was outstanding. The room was modern and very clean. The bedding was very comfortable (a little too warm but that's just me). We had a nice view of the river. All of this and in a great location, right next to a 1.5 mile park along the river. Right outside the hotel is a little beach area that is perfect for dog swimming. There are restaurants and cafes all within walking distance. If I had to say one negative thing, is you can hear the trains across the river blowing their horns throughout the night. It's not enough to keep us away though. We will be back for sure!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I am so glad your dog was able to enjoy the little beach that was made along the riverbank. We were big supporters of the beach cleanup and it’s great to hear that our guest are taking advantage of this nice little spot recently created. Thanks for the review!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We’ve stayed in some nice hotels in Portland Oregon but we keep coming back to the Riverplace Hotel. The reason: if we are visiting a city built on a river, we want to stay at a hotel overlooking the river and, amazingly, this is the only one we know of.

Riverplace is a first class luxury hotel overlooking the Willamette River and immediately next to a large park for morning or evening walks, yet it is only two short blocks from the middle of downtown Portland.

The rooms are contemporary and confortable. “Riverfront” rooms have a river view and are sold at a premium rate, as they should be. The modern bathrooms have combination tub/showers. There is a safe in the room as well as a refrigerator with an honor bar.

There is a good restaurant where you can enjoy breakfast overlooking the river. The breakfasts are unusually good with large portions nicely plated. The wait staff is friendly and helpful. Portland is a n amazing restaurant city and so we have not dined at the hotel personally but my son reported the evening food is very, very good and he should know.

There is a warm and inviting bar with a fireplace and a large selection of local craft beers and wines (Oregon is known for its Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays although I also enjoy Pinot Gris.) The Portland is well known for its craft-brewing scene and there are a fair number of local beers both bottled and on tap. There is excellent food service from the restaurant in the bar so you can sit at the bar and nibble.

The hotel has an arrangement where guests can use with a health club a block away at no extra cost although we did not use this amenity. There is an early evening wine tasting in the lobby with fair wines, however the lobby is not the kind of place in which one would wish to linger.

The staff is very friendly and helpful with the valet parking attendant displaying a wonderful memory of past visitors. All in all the Riverplace Hotel is a little island of hospitality and friendliness with a water view conveniently located.

Room Tip: We prefer a river view room at a slightly higher cost
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank voxpopla
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

From the sound of things the RiverPlace helped you to live like a local. From the Pinot Gris and craft beers, to the wonderful views of the Willamette, to the friendly Pacific Northwest hospitality we are always thrilled to bring the Portland experience to our guest. Thanks for your feedback and thanks for your loyalty.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I had a one night stay at the RiverPlace Hotel that I honestly wish was a longer stay. I arrived at the hotel in mid-afternoon tired and cranky, due to flight delays, re-routing and lost baggage. When I asked the front desk if they had some basic toiletries due to my lost bag, Jamie immediately asked me what I needed and she was able to supply me with everything except a contact lens case. I was then upgraded to a suite and told to join the Kimpton rewards program for free internet. My bag eventually arrived in the middle of the night and I pre-arranged with the front desk for the bell staff to quietly just leave it in the front entranceway of my suite while I slept.

All of the staff that I encountered at the hotel were friendly, helpful and naturally so. This hotel is one of the few places that you feel that staff are well trained and hired because of their outlook and commitment to doing their jobs well.

With other pertinent details for travelers, the hotel will not disappoint. The bed was incredibly comfortable. I fell asleep easily and soundly in high quality bedding. There was a newer alarm clock with ipod dock. The flat screen TVs had clear television reception and a respectable assortment of channels. The suite I had was not exceptionally large but well laid out so that there was a slight separation between the living and bedroom areas.

The washroom was well stocked with Kimpton's excellent house brand toiletries. The washroom was also well-lit and spacious. Bathtub provided a comfortable soak and the shower pressure in the morning was excellent.

I spend up to 90 days a year in hotels and consider myself to have realistic standards on hotel service, amenities and customer service. Without question, this hotel will meet all of your needs and the staff will shine.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

We realize how difficult it is to be a road warrior. Dealing with planes, security lines, delays, and lost bags can drive one crazy. I love hearing that the staff made you feel at ease and all of the amenities we offered made you forget about that day of travel. Thanks so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to give us your feedback.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

There's nothing I can say that has not already been covered by previous reviews. The service was top-notch, as was the food at Three Degrees. I only wish our room had looked out towards the water instead of another building. We will definitely stay there again!

2  Thank e_utz
Tessa K, Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Thank you so much for your great review! We are so happy you enjoyed your time with us and the yummy food at Three Degrees.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Warm Regards,