“Excellent all the way around. Quite, comfortable, inviting.”

Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I've had two trips to RiverPlace in the last month, and I'll be there again soon. I work in Portland but live elsewhere, so I'll be coming back regularly. My last stay was for five nights, and I have nothing but great things to say. The entire staff is supremely friendly, and greeted me warmly every time I walked in the doors. They were profession and very quick to respond to any needs.

The rooms have been very quiet, and very comfortable. They are nicely appointed, but not outlandish/modern like other Kimptons. This is a good thing, in my opinion. The rooms have a very soft, cozy feeling that helped me feel at 'home' during my stay. The beds are incredibly comfortable!

The restaurant and lounge both offer excellent, reasonably priced meals. The lounge is more affordable than the regular dining room, but neither is inappropriately priced. The food was excellent. The beer selections were limited but excellent, and they had a nice assortment of whiskeys.

The location is unbeatable. Right next to downtown, but on the river. To me, that means it's an easy walk to work, but at night I felt like I was on vacation. There's lots of things within walking distance, or borrow a bike for free and cruise around.

The best part? Walking in the door a little after 5pm after a stressful day of work to be greeted by a smiling wine steward holding a glass of complimentary wine in my direction!

Well done, RiverPlace. I can't wait to be back in a few weeks!

Room Tip: If you can get an upgrade to a suite, it's worth it. The standard rooms are a little smallish. T...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

I love the fact that you are becoming such a regular and that we can accommodate both a business and leisure experience for you when you stay at the RiverPlace. We can’t wait to see you again and greet you with a great local glass of wine.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had a great weekend getaway at RiverPlace Hotel. It was our anniversary so along with a nice complimentary bottle of wine, was a hand drawn, hand written card wishing us a happy anniversary! The service was outstanding. The room was modern and very clean. The bedding was very comfortable (a little too warm but that's just me). We had a nice view of the river. All of this and in a great location, right next to a 1.5 mile park along the river. Right outside the hotel is a little beach area that is perfect for dog swimming. There are restaurants and cafes all within walking distance. If I had to say one negative thing, is you can hear the trains across the river blowing their horns throughout the night. It's not enough to keep us away though. We will be back for sure!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I am so glad your dog was able to enjoy the little beach that was made along the riverbank. We were big supporters of the beach cleanup and it’s great to hear that our guest are taking advantage of this nice little spot recently created. Thanks for the review!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We’ve stayed in some nice hotels in Portland Oregon but we keep coming back to the Riverplace Hotel. The reason: if we are visiting a city built on a river, we want to stay at a hotel overlooking the river and, amazingly, this is the only one we know of.

Riverplace is a first class luxury hotel overlooking the Willamette River and immediately next to a large park for morning or evening walks, yet it is only two short blocks from the middle of downtown Portland.

The rooms are contemporary and confortable. “Riverfront” rooms have a river view and are sold at a premium rate, as they should be. The modern bathrooms have combination tub/showers. There is a safe in the room as well as a refrigerator with an honor bar.

There is a good restaurant where you can enjoy breakfast overlooking the river. The breakfasts are unusually good with large portions nicely plated. The wait staff is friendly and helpful. Portland is a n amazing restaurant city and so we have not dined at the hotel personally but my son reported the evening food is very, very good and he should know.

There is a warm and inviting bar with a fireplace and a large selection of local craft beers and wines (Oregon is known for its Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays although I also enjoy Pinot Gris.) The Portland is well known for its craft-brewing scene and there are a fair number of local beers both bottled and on tap. There is excellent food service from the restaurant in the bar so you can sit at the bar and nibble.

The hotel has an arrangement where guests can use with a health club a block away at no extra cost although we did not use this amenity. There is an early evening wine tasting in the lobby with fair wines, however the lobby is not the kind of place in which one would wish to linger.

The staff is very friendly and helpful with the valet parking attendant displaying a wonderful memory of past visitors. All in all the Riverplace Hotel is a little island of hospitality and friendliness with a water view conveniently located.

Room Tip: We prefer a river view room at a slightly higher cost
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank voxpopla
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

From the sound of things the RiverPlace helped you to live like a local. From the Pinot Gris and craft beers, to the wonderful views of the Willamette, to the friendly Pacific Northwest hospitality we are always thrilled to bring the Portland experience to our guest. Thanks for your feedback and thanks for your loyalty.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I had a one night stay at the RiverPlace Hotel that I honestly wish was a longer stay. I arrived at the hotel in mid-afternoon tired and cranky, due to flight delays, re-routing and lost baggage. When I asked the front desk if they had some basic toiletries due to my lost bag, Jamie immediately asked me what I needed and she was able to supply me with everything except a contact lens case. I was then upgraded to a suite and told to join the Kimpton rewards program for free internet. My bag eventually arrived in the middle of the night and I pre-arranged with the front desk for the bell staff to quietly just leave it in the front entranceway of my suite while I slept.

All of the staff that I encountered at the hotel were friendly, helpful and naturally so. This hotel is one of the few places that you feel that staff are well trained and hired because of their outlook and commitment to doing their jobs well.

With other pertinent details for travelers, the hotel will not disappoint. The bed was incredibly comfortable. I fell asleep easily and soundly in high quality bedding. There was a newer alarm clock with ipod dock. The flat screen TVs had clear television reception and a respectable assortment of channels. The suite I had was not exceptionally large but well laid out so that there was a slight separation between the living and bedroom areas.

The washroom was well stocked with Kimpton's excellent house brand toiletries. The washroom was also well-lit and spacious. Bathtub provided a comfortable soak and the shower pressure in the morning was excellent.

I spend up to 90 days a year in hotels and consider myself to have realistic standards on hotel service, amenities and customer service. Without question, this hotel will meet all of your needs and the staff will shine.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

We realize how difficult it is to be a road warrior. Dealing with planes, security lines, delays, and lost bags can drive one crazy. I love hearing that the staff made you feel at ease and all of the amenities we offered made you forget about that day of travel. Thanks so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to give us your feedback.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

There's nothing I can say that has not already been covered by previous reviews. The service was top-notch, as was the food at Three Degrees. I only wish our room had looked out towards the water instead of another building. We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank e_utz
Tessa K, Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Thank you so much for your great review! We are so happy you enjoyed your time with us and the yummy food at Three Degrees.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Warm Regards,

Tessa Keleher
Director of Rooms
RiverPlace, A Kimpton Hotel

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Stayed 1 night for business. Very nice hotel off the beaten path, along a nice riding/walking by the river. Room was large and clean, room service was pretty good. The employees were very helpful and friendly, and one guy even made me a cup of coffee at 5am. I wish I had more time in Portland, seems like a cool place. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Tessa K, Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are so thrilled that you enjoyed your visit! We hope that you find a reason to come back to Portland and visit us. It is such a great place to explore any time of year.

Warmest Regards,

Tessa Keleher
Director of Rooms
RiverPlace, A Kimpton Hotel

Reviewed January 30, 2013

From the warm welcome at the front desk to the complimentary goodies for me and my daughter's visiting puppy this was the best visit ever at the RiverPlace. I have stayed here many times since 2005 and the Kimpton staff are now in the groove after a rocky few missteps my last visit which occurred during the management transition from Larkspur to Kimpton. The RiverPlace is back as my #1 - no small feat as I have just returned from a visit to NYC, arguably the most sophisticated city in the world. RiverPlace has retained all the charm of its setting, the friendliness of Portland and increased its attention to detail and personalized service. They got me a rent a car within 15 minutes of my request. And sitting by the fire, watching the river traffic, the city lights and sipping a glass of wine in my one bedroom suite is a memory I will cherish and hope to repeat! Hot coffee or cocoa in the lobby in the morning if you want, wine tasting and appetizers at night - just perfect whether you are traveling for business or pleasure. Thank you RiverPlace for a wonderful visit!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

We are absolutely honored to be back on your #1 list. Thanks for returning and allowing us the opportunity.