“Fantastic Location (especially if traveling with pooch)”

Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 141 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle
“Fantastic Location (especially if traveling with pooch)”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had a great weekend getaway at RiverPlace Hotel. It was our anniversary so along with a nice complimentary bottle of wine, was a hand drawn, hand written card wishing us a happy anniversary! The service was outstanding. The room was modern and very clean. The bedding was very comfortable (a little too warm but that's just me). We had a nice view of the river. All of this and in a great location, right next to a 1.5 mile park along the river. Right outside the hotel is a little beach area that is perfect for dog swimming. There are restaurants and cafes all within walking distance. If I had to say one negative thing, is you can hear the trains across the river blowing their horns throughout the night. It's not enough to keep us away though. We will be back for sure!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
I am so glad your dog was able to enjoy the little beach that was made along the riverbank. We were big supporters of the beach cleanup and it’s great to hear that our guest are taking advantage of this nice little spot recently created. Thanks for the review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
los angeles
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We’ve stayed in some nice hotels in Portland Oregon but we keep coming back to the Riverplace Hotel. The reason: if we are visiting a city built on a river, we want to stay at a hotel overlooking the river and, amazingly, this is the only one we know of.

Riverplace is a first class luxury hotel overlooking the Willamette River and immediately next to a large park for morning or evening walks, yet it is only two short blocks from the middle of downtown Portland.

The rooms are contemporary and confortable. “Riverfront” rooms have a river view and are sold at a premium rate, as they should be. The modern bathrooms have combination tub/showers. There is a safe in the room as well as a refrigerator with an honor bar.

There is a good restaurant where you can enjoy breakfast overlooking the river. The breakfasts are unusually good with large portions nicely plated. The wait staff is friendly and helpful. Portland is a n amazing restaurant city and so we have not dined at the hotel personally but my son reported the evening food is very, very good and he should know.

There is a warm and inviting bar with a fireplace and a large selection of local craft beers and wines (Oregon is known for its Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays although I also enjoy Pinot Gris.) The Portland is well known for its craft-brewing scene and there are a fair number of local beers both bottled and on tap. There is excellent food service from the restaurant in the bar so you can sit at the bar and nibble.

The hotel has an arrangement where guests can use with a health club a block away at no extra cost although we did not use this amenity. There is an early evening wine tasting in the lobby with fair wines, however the lobby is not the kind of place in which one would wish to linger.

The staff is very friendly and helpful with the valet parking attendant displaying a wonderful memory of past visitors. All in all the Riverplace Hotel is a little island of hospitality and friendliness with a water view conveniently located.

Room Tip: We prefer a river view room at a slightly higher cost
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank voxpopla
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
From the sound of things the RiverPlace helped you to live like a local. From the Pinot Gris and craft beers, to the wonderful views of the Willamette, to the friendly Pacific Northwest hospitality we are always thrilled to bring the Portland experience to our guest. Thanks for your feedback and thanks for your loyalty.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I had a one night stay at the RiverPlace Hotel that I honestly wish was a longer stay. I arrived at the hotel in mid-afternoon tired and cranky, due to flight delays, re-routing and lost baggage. When I asked the front desk if they had some basic toiletries due to my lost bag, Jamie immediately asked me what I needed and she was able to supply me with everything except a contact lens case. I was then upgraded to a suite and told to join the Kimpton rewards program for free internet. My bag eventually arrived in the middle of the night and I pre-arranged with the front desk for the bell staff to quietly just leave it in the front entranceway of my suite while I slept.

All of the staff that I encountered at the hotel were friendly, helpful and naturally so. This hotel is one of the few places that you feel that staff are well trained and hired because of their outlook and commitment to doing their jobs well.

With other pertinent details for travelers, the hotel will not disappoint. The bed was incredibly comfortable. I fell asleep easily and soundly in high quality bedding. There was a newer alarm clock with ipod dock. The flat screen TVs had clear television reception and a respectable assortment of channels. The suite I had was not exceptionally large but well laid out so that there was a slight separation between the living and bedroom areas.

The washroom was well stocked with Kimpton's excellent house brand toiletries. The washroom was also well-lit and spacious. Bathtub provided a comfortable soak and the shower pressure in the morning was excellent.

I spend up to 90 days a year in hotels and consider myself to have realistic standards on hotel service, amenities and customer service. Without question, this hotel will meet all of your needs and the staff will shine.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
We realize how difficult it is to be a road warrior. Dealing with planes, security lines, delays, and lost bags can drive one crazy. I love hearing that the staff made you feel at ease and all of the amenities we offered made you forget about that day of travel. Thanks so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to give us your feedback.
Marysville, Washington
Reviewed February 4, 2013

There's nothing I can say that has not already been covered by previous reviews. The service was top-notch, as was the food at Three Degrees. I only wish our room had looked out towards the water instead of another building. We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank e_utz
Tessa K, Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review! We are so happy you enjoyed your time with us and the yummy food at Three Degrees.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Warm Regards,

Tessa Keleher
Director of Rooms
RiverPlace, A Kimpton Hotel
Red Bank, New Jersey
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Stayed 1 night for business. Very nice hotel off the beaten path, along a nice riding/walking by the river. Room was large and clean, room service was pretty good. The employees were very helpful and friendly, and one guy even made me a cup of coffee at 5am. I wish I had more time in Portland, seems like a cool place. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Tessa K, Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are so thrilled that you enjoyed your visit! We hope that you find a reason to come back to Portland and visit us. It is such a great place to explore any time of year.

Warmest Regards,

Tessa Keleher
Director of Rooms
RiverPlace, A Kimpton Hotel
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 30, 2013

From the warm welcome at the front desk to the complimentary goodies for me and my daughter's visiting puppy this was the best visit ever at the RiverPlace. I have stayed here many times since 2005 and the Kimpton staff are now in the groove after a rocky few missteps my last visit which occurred during the management transition from Larkspur to Kimpton. The RiverPlace is back as my #1 - no small feat as I have just returned from a visit to NYC, arguably the most sophisticated city in the world. RiverPlace has retained all the charm of its setting, the friendliness of Portland and increased its attention to detail and personalized service. They got me a rent a car within 15 minutes of my request. And sitting by the fire, watching the river traffic, the city lights and sipping a glass of wine in my one bedroom suite is a memory I will cherish and hope to repeat! Hot coffee or cocoa in the lobby in the morning if you want, wine tasting and appetizers at night - just perfect whether you are traveling for business or pleasure. Thank you RiverPlace for a wonderful visit!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
We are absolutely honored to be back on your #1 list. Thanks for returning and allowing us the opportunity.
seattle
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I came to the RIverPlace Hotel with my close friends for a book club overnight. We have been choosing nice hotels in Portland or Seattle for many years for our annual overnight together. Staying at the RiverPlace was the best experience we have had at any of the nice boutique or luxery hotels we have chosen over the last ten years.

Each staff person from the hotel we came across (valet, front desk, housekeeping, concierge) was extremely thoughtful and gracious, and they made every effort to make our time together special. Extra touches included a handwritten note in our room, complimentary wine for all guests, thoughtful dinner recommendations, not to mention a great health club and bikes for borrowing for a ride along the river. The lovely rooms had beautiful views, excellent beds and very quiet. We had one of the suites, and it had everything in it to make our weekend away relaxing and special. The in and out valet, made our side trips to different part of the town easy and quick there were nice restaurants within walking distance as well. Watching the river from our room made it real vacation and we left feeling truly pampered. We have decided we will be back here next year.

Room Tip: The water view is extra special.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Andrea E
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Sounds like it was a team effort by all departments to make your visit with us so enjoyable. We love that you will be back next year. But why wait so long?