“RiverPlace is the RightPlace...”

Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 142 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver, Canada
“RiverPlace is the RightPlace...”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I really can't say enough wonderful things about this hotel! I had stumbled across it "by accident" having decided fairly last minute that I wanted to take a trip to Portland. Got the room for a great rate on Priceline, and after staying at this hotel, I can honestly say it was a steal! The hotel is located directly on the Willamette River downtown, not only did this mean that the hotel had great views of the water and the interesting bridges that cross the river, but it was also very quiet. The girl who checked us in was lovely (I can't remember her name for certain which I feel awful about, but I think it was Nadia or something similar). Anyways, she was genuinely friendly when she was checking us in, and offered us an upgrade to an executive suite, as we needed two beds. Our room had a separate bedroom, a pull-out sofa, and a great view of the river! I also got a $10 minibar credit for being an InTouch member. The room was extremely spacious, had a great bathroom, and the bed was amazingly comfortable! The one thing that really stood out about this hotel was the level of service their associates go out of the way to provide! Our housekeeper left me a handwritten note on my bed, along with a chocolate saying to "have a great day!". I've worked (and stayed) in several hotels before, and I have never seen such a personal touch to the service. All the associates were like this too, from the bell staff, to the front desk agents, to the bartenders - everything was lovely! One really cool thing they do in this hotel is a nightly wine reception, which was a great way to wind down the afternoon, and get your evening started! I'm definitely staying at this hotel again - no question about it! Thanks RiverPlace!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank joecdn
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Oh you are so very welcome! I am loving your comments about our staff. I will be sure to share them with everyone at our next all hotel meeting. Hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
new jersey
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed at the River Place for three nights and it was a really great experience.
Location was good and staff was so friendly I had to ask if they were required to attend "nice" school.
When I get back to Portland will definitely stay here again.

Frank B.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Punta Arenas, Chile
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Perfect hotel experience. River Views. Great location to good quality dinning. Free pass' to a top notch athletic club with sauna and steam room (that's hot). Hotel staff is friendly and pro-active about making your stay flawless. It's also a better location than the Merriot which is similarly priced. Eat at Veriable Quandries, walking distance from the River Place. Also eat at Blossoming Lotus (not as close but amazing healthy and tasty food)

Room Tip: Its worth the extra money to have a river view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Nice suggestions on dinner. I love the VQ! I should also mention you have great taste in hotels. Thanks for the review.
Shanghai, China
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Great hotel - the best in Portland. Great location, friendly and very helpful staff. One might expect friendly and helpful service in any hotel, but this goes above and beyond: the valet, the housekeepers, the front desk and the restaurant staff all give great, attentive service. We visit Portland at least once a year and have stayed in this hotel a number of times. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed January 2013
We appreciate the loyalty and the review. Nice to hear the great service you received was a team effort. See you on your next trip to Portland.
SAN FRANCISCO
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We had the king suite with river view. It's very spacious with kitchen and bar. beautiful view of the boats and bridges and OMSI. Note that the suite is not part of the hotel itself but located a few minutes walk away in an apartment complex. a few stairs (no elevators). the suite is circa 1990 and the decoration shows; bathroom is also a bit aged, but still very clean. kitchen is full equipped.

the hotel lobby is trendy and beautiful. service is good but one of the lady was a bit pretentious, others were very nice. one thing to note is that valet parking only at this hotel, $31 per day a bit pricey. and during peak times (morning, dinner) be prepared to wait for your car to get pulled up. not a big deal but noted.

suite was on the pricey side also (~$300/nt), a bit much for portland.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to apologize that you found one of our staff members a bit pretentious. That’s not at all our style of service. I have shared your review with the staff. Thank you for the feedback.
Salem Oregon
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife and I spent two days at the Riverplace for my birthday celebration. What a beautiful hotel. Our room was spacious and had a great view of the river. It is close to downtown, the keller and great restaurants. The staff is very helpful and really go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and welcome.

Room Tip: We asked for a corner riverview room and it was great.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel for the past 3 years on New Years Eve. We discovered it after hosting our annual multi-state corporate meeting. We have always been very happy with the service. This time, although not significant enough to ruin our night, there were minor changes since Kimpton took over. First the price of the room was $500 (with that you expect perfection). The hotel had a bottle of wine for us as a gift, which was a nice gift. The front desk is where work needs to occur. When I responded to a survey by the hotel, the manager responded to my concerns. I may stay there again. Not sure because of price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Slimjas
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
I would like to once again apologize for the disappointment you felt in the value for priced paid over your New Years Eve visit. I have shared your comments with the Front Office Manager about your disappointment in the casual dress of our front desk employees and their too casual approach to service. We will use your feedback to improve. Thank you again for your feedback.