“Loved this hotel”

Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Ranked #3 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I loved many things about this hotel. The location is very nice, on the river and along the river park. There are a lot of little restaurants, shops, and spas along the Riverfront. The downside was that there are many homeless that hang out along the river, but if you are from an urban area this probably won't be a big deal for you.

The restaurant Three Degrees in the hotel is awesome. The menu is good and all the items that I tried (sandwich, bacon waffles, and chicken and biscuits) were amazing. They have a nice patio area for the restaurant, for the lounge, as well as an area with patio chairs and a fire pit.

The service was great. All staff in the hotel were very friendly. We enjoyed the evening wine hour chatting with them.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,757)

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Arrived on a Saturday afternoon on 28 Oct for a rowing event. The weather was rain, rain and more rain. But the hotel stay was fantastic. The woman at the front desk was over-the-top professional, very pleasant. She noted a few things she'd do for us, and since she started helping the next customer as soon as we were checked in, we jokingly wondered in the elevator what are the odds she'd remember. Sure enough, she remembered.

This part of Portland was pretty dead for a Saturday night. We walked down the stormy riverwalk and found a McCormick and Schmicks a few minutes away and had dinner there. Very handy. Aside from the weather, the location was spectacular.

The room was nice. We had a suite and everything was very comfortable. The beds were great, the TVs were new. The bathroom was functional, but reasonable.

The next day after a few hours out along the edge of the river, we came back and grabbed lunch. I'll say the BLT is the best I've ever had. The toast was crunchy and warm, the bacon was thick and crisp, the lettuce and tomato were fresh. I think we've all had a BLT where the bread was soggy, the bacon was limp...amazing what a difference a bit of attention can make.

The bell staff held our bags after checkout. I've stayed at plenty of hotels where the bags (including computer) stood out in the open as I walked away, always leaving me a bit nervous. In this case, they were quickly zipped off to a locked room. Like the rest of the staff, the bell staff were courteous, polite and professional.

Overall, a fantastic experience and stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Agree 100% the RiverPlace staff is amazing and 3 Degrees does have the very best BLT. Everything is fresh and local which makes the difference. Thanks for the incredibly nice comments.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

From the moment I arrived to the moment I left everything was perfect! The little chats with my room attendent as we passed in the hall way gave me a chace to get a "locals" point of view with my tastes in mind no to mention taking peaceful walks along the river each day was simply amazing!

Room Tip: River Views are amazing at night!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank WeHoChris
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The style of the place is very Seattle/Portland and the decor is perfect. They spent a lot on the place, and it shows. The public areas are beautiful and gracious, you will want to linger. The bar looks great, so does the restaurant.
I had a large room and enjoyed it. Little touches like umbrella in the room, and Starbucks coffee (with a coffee maker in the rooms now - I believe that is new).
The staff are very good and provided great service. Upon check in I felt very well taken care of. When checking out at about 3 AM (to catch early flight), the person vacuuming the lobby immediately left the vacuum and asked if I had a car with them, which I did. He ran to retrieve it. The front desk person at 3 AM said their system was downloading for the night but she took my email to send me the folio. You know, these things never happen. But in less than 30 minutes the folio appeared in my email box!
In all the little ways, I felt like you can get a request served by this staff and have confidence in them.
The location of the hotel is excellent, directly on the river, in midst of a park, and near key businesses. It's also near the Marriott, so your friends can stay there if they don't choose to join you at this super comfortable and warm riverfront retreat!

Room Tip: If you can pay for river view, it's great. Otherwise, ask to avoid the porte cochere area, the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Oh come on now.. friends don’t let friends stay at Marriott’s! LOL thanks so much for this review it's going on our wall of fame!!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Hotel located next to river so it's quite beautiful when the sun sets. Only about 10 minute walk into the downtown area or you can catch the trolley/light rail a few blocks away. Loved the dessert tray in the afternoon.
Great staff and customer service. Always friendly and helpful. They seem to go overboard just to help you. I had something sent back home and they didn't charge me because something went wrong with the postal service. Instead, they shipped it Fed Ex for free. That's customer service!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a fun splurge (for us) on a family vacation with our two little kids. Every member of the staff was very friendly and accomodating, and the hotel is very pretty and clean inside. There are many nice little touches throughout the hotel that made it a treat to stay there. The location is great for walking along the river for dining and shopping, and we also rented a surrey at a nearby park to ride around in which was really fun. Our stay here was great, but I was disappointed in two things. Adjacent to the hotel is a very large grass area that I thought my kids would spend a lot of time playing in. Well, the entire lawn was covered in goose droppings! Before we realized that, we made the mistake of starting off into the lawn with our stroller. The hotel valet staff was kind enough to hose off the wheels of our stroller when we came back. Also, there are a lot of homeless people that hang out in the park and waterfront area around this hotel. Because of that I did not feel comfortable walking around there at night. Also, this hotel does not have a pool, but they do give you a pass to use a nearby athletic club's pool (within walking distance). The athletic club was very nice and our kids had fun in the pool there. Overall, this was a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

From the sound of things you and the family had a great time. I do assure you that our hotel location is in one of the safest areas of downtown and the RiverPlace planned community does a good job of keeping the area clean and safe for our guest. The one thing I wish we could keep cleaner is that grassy area near the hotel you described, love them or hate them I think the Canadian Geese are here to stay.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We spent two nights here. Nothing terribly wrong, but certainly nothing special. We are not sure why this makes the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts list. Our room was okay, but a little dark. The restaurant is not particularly attractive with so-so food and perfunctory, but polite, service. The river views are okay, but not memorable.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CT-and-JJ

I would like to apologize that our property and staff did not provide that wow factor. We appreciative your feedback, I promise you we will use it to improve. Thank you for your comments.