“just right”

Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 25, 2012

great location as far as easy to walk to anything but no right in the middle of the downtown area. great situation right on the river. staff overly helpful in every way. nice access to good gym and relax outside overlooking river in the late afternoons. couldn't really say anything that needs to improve

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed here on a mini-honeymoon type vacation. I have to say that there were more pros than cons with this hotel. I had a wonderful stay and can't complain too much. So I'll list it out:
Cons- Over priced for what you get. The room was minimal and the bathroom average, no over the top amenities. We requested a city view and our room faced the courtyard and other people's room (no view!). We had to pay for parking and this was ridiculous ($30/day).
Pros- The hotel's stance on being Eco-friendly and the involvement in many important and large scale charity organizations, is honorable and I was happy to support their efforts. Excellent location right on the water and in downtown Portland. It was a hop, skip and a jump to see most downtown sites (and there are a lot of them!). Also, near many restaurants, bars and some cute shops. The bed was soft and comfortable. I loved that I could request a yoga mat and DVD and do some yoga in the mornings before our daily adventures. I, also, appreciated the wine hour (a little too much, wink wink). The staff was just awesome, all around! Very accommodating and friendly and helpful. Most are locals and can advise you where to eat and what to do in this fun city.
Overall, the stay was great. There was a wedding on Saturday night and it sounded like it was a good time, but they didn't make noise too late (maybe 10p). I think you could get a similar room stay out of a Holiday Inn or such, at a lower price, but the overall stay was superb!

Room Tip: Make sure to reiterate that you would like a River view or City view room
1  Thank asugargreen
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thanks for the list of pros and cons! We are all over those cons you listed. We have a gorgeous remodel planned soon to put a little Kimpton touch to our guestroom design. Truthfully our parking rates are very competitive with all other downtown hotels. Glad you enjoyed the yoga, wine hour, and staff. Hope you had a chance to do yoga out in our beautiful courtyard.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Anytime I need to travel to downtown Portland I try to stay at the Riverplace. Right on the river, there are lots of shops and restaurants in a friendly neighborhood. The service is great, everyone is very friendly and helpful. I've had several free upgrades which is always a welcome surprise but all of the rooms are nice and comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

We thank you for your loyalty! Your comments are very much appreciated

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Excellent service, very comfortable beds and lots of personal attention! You can't go wrong staying here! I would recommend it to everyone! The location is very convenient for any business you need to take care of in downtown Portland, and a very nice location for evening walks. Rooms are updated, spacious and very clean.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Kimpton hotels are my new favorite places to stay! We started with the Vintage Plaza in Portland and was so wowed by the whole experience we stayed an additional night on that trip. A dog-friendly hotel that treated our pup like the God he thinks he is!

This time we stayed at the RiverPlace. And really, wow! They are always extremely friendly (as that is the PacificNorthwest way!), but it's the little things that has made me into a Kimpton follower. I own my own business and travel a lot. But it is about service -- good, old-fashioned quality service that makes these properties shine!

You can tell this is an older property, but it is really well maintained. First, we missed their nightly evening wine hour and they were so kind to offer us vouchers for a glass of wine in the bar (they offered that. We did not point it out at all!). Felt great right off the bat!~ Then they informed us that we were upgraded to a lovely mini-suite. Score twice in mere moments! And can't forget the fact that we drove to the hotel with our daughter's car but did not want to take it out to dinner. They held the car no charge until she left us that evening. Did I mention that was at no charge?! And, of course, we are In Touch members, so we got our $10 Raid the Minibar coupon. And their minibar is no slouch. They have everything from razors to cashews to choose from, not to forget some pretty decent splits of wine. Oh, and fabulous fuzzy socks you can buy.

Our room was really lovely. Nicely decorated, awesome beds. Paper in the morning. Coolest bath robes to use (zebra???)! And the location of this property is AMAZING! Right on the water. Great walking paths along the river, near the Saturday market and right in downtown.

Still need to check out the Monaco and I am sure it is fabulous, too, but man, the RiverPlace is tops on my list when I come to Portland!

So look no more when you are searching for a place to lay your head in Portland -- and Kimpton hotel will serve you well!

Reviewed September 22, 2012

A very nice hotel in almost every way. A very convenient location at the edge of downtown, but next to the river and a park so it's reasonably quiet. Some rooms have a fine view of the river. They gave us a complimentary upgrade to a river-view suite, which was quite spacious, comfortable, well-appointed and perfectly maintained. My only minor quibble is that the towels were about average hotel quality, not the extra-fluffy towels that most high-end hotels use. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and our one special request was fulfilled promptly. The food in the restaurant was somewhat disappointing; not bad, just not as nearly good as I would have expected given the atmosphere they were trying to project; however, there are many restaurants in reasonable walking distance.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Glad that you enjoyed our location and the upgrade to the river view! I would like to apologize that you didn’t find the towels to be top quality. I just address this issue last week with my Executive Housekeeper and we placed a very large order for brand new towels on Friday. We have a brand new General Manager at our restaurant starting today and I will be sure to share your feedback and your experience with her. I am sure she has big plans for our restaurant. Thanks for the review.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

RiverPlace is an attractive hotel on the river front. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room overlooking the river was large, clean, comfortable and quiet except for the night they decided to do some work on the roof about 2:00am. The 5:00pm wine tasting and cookies is a nice touch (take the cookies, skip the wine). I would have liked to have coffee with the cookies. In fact, it is almost impossible to get coffee anywhere in the hotel after breakfast...and one more thing - the toilet paper is awful.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks so much for your feedback. I am so sorry to hear you experienced some noise on the roof at such an early hour. We did not schedule roof work to be done at this time so unless it was Santa getting an early start we need to find out what was causing this noise. I will reach out to my Chief Engineer today. As far as coffee goes we have a coffee reception every morning from 6AM to 9AM, our restaurant can always get you a hot cup of coffee, and we can send up a coffeemaker to your guestroom upon request. I also just ordered brand new coffeemakers to go into each guestroom and they will be here soon. If you are anything like me you have to get caffeinated frequently. Hope to see you again soon.