“Trip to Portland, OR”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Barbara, California
“Trip to Portland, OR”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This hotel is older, but nice all the same. The location is in the Lloyd Center and very close to everything. The MAX train system is right there and can get you to almost anywhere within Portland downtown and airport. The beds where comfortable, the view from the room was of the park below, the food was delicious, the service from all the staff was friendly, and it is located very conveniently to a picturesque running route along the Willamette River. The only down side was that it was a little older and therefore there was no fan in the bathroom and since we didn't have a balcony, we could not open any windows for fresh air. If you get a room with a balcony that would solve that problem. There is a large population of homeless people in some areas of Portland. In this Lloyd Center, I noticed some but they really seem to be much more prominent in downtown. Quite sad to see these people and their struggles. Parking in Portland is at a premium, including at this hotel ($18 a day for self parking or $22 for valet). However, since I was there for a week they gave me a discount for $9/day! The hotel was also very accommodating, for example since I was staying a week, they gave me a fridge and a microwave for free! You just have to ask. All in all, I would stay at this hotel again. If you go, check out the great areas to the northeast of the hotel (Irvington). It has great restaurants, breweries, and stores within walking distance!! Beautiful quaint area.

Room Tip: Balcony for some fresh area on the park side!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
TerryGoldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear hlsb6,

Thank you for your lovely review of the DoubleTree by Hilton Portland. I appreciate the specific details you shared about your experience with us, including that our staff served you well. In regards to the rooms with balconies, I agree it is nice to have fresh air when traveling. For a few dollars more it is a great upgrade option and in many cases provides a much more spacious room at our facility.

On behalf of our entire team, thank you for your business. We do hope to have you stay with us again soon. Please let me know if I can personally assist with any future reservations.

tgoldman@portlanddoubletree.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Tucson, United States
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This hotel was welcoming but the building shook as the trains go by. I had to change rooms to get a "better" one As I booked on a prepaid site I wasn't exactly a high revenue guest Not much I could do so I used my earplugs

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

TerryGoldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Martha V,

Thank you for your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Portland. I am sorry to read your rest was disturbed by the city's light rail transportation system and glad to see the staff accommodated your request to move rooms. We do hope you will stay with again and I invite you to contact me directly to make any future reservations. I can be reached via email at tgoldman@portlanddoubletree.com or by calling the hotel at 503-281-6111 extension 4993.

NJ
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Close to convention center and light rail, so very convenient, though not much dining in the immediate area. Hotel has a quirky layout and is quite a bit tired - chairs in the conference area were very worn and dirty. Rooms are large, clean, but dated.

Staff is excellent, high service level and attitude. I reported a very minor issue and the staff jumped on it immediately - even provide a nice food treat, plus extra cookies. Worth staying at if you are going to the OCC

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Morog,

Thank you for your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Portland and taking the time to review our property here on TripAdvisor. I am glad to read our location worked well for you and that our staff served you with excellence.

I also appreciate the notes about the condition of the hotel and specifically the furniture in the meeting space. I am sorry it was cleaned in a manner consistent with our hotel brand standards and assure you I have had the housekeeping team remedy your concern.

On behalf of our entire team, thank you for your business. I do hope you will choose to stay with us again sometime soon and invite you to please contact me directly if I can assist with future arrangements.

Memphis, United States
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Exceptional staff and accommodations in a convenient location of Portland, Oregon. The rooms are HUGE for city stay as well. Staff goes over and above to exceed guest expectations and Portland has many great restaurants and sights to see. Even the Coffee bar barista is over the top making one of a kind coffee "specials". I would definitely recommend a stay here. Ps Double Tree cookies, warm welcome too!

Natalie T,

Thank you for your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Portland and fantastic review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read our staff served you with excellence and that you enjoyed our accommodations, location and warm chocolate chip cookies with walnuts.

On behalf of our entire team, thank you for your business. We do look forward to having you stay with us again soon. Please let me know if I can provide any assistance in making future arrangements.

Colorado City, Colorado
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Was a close walk to the convention center and a good way to wind down after a long day at the convention center. Room was clean and was suprised to leave my room one morning and see a lady cleaning the elevator with a Toothbrush!! Room was quite and provided a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Elevators with the glass lookout are quicker than the ones by the Coffee bar.
Cowboy1275,

Thank you for your recent stay and nice review here on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read you had an enjoyable experience with us and appreciate the comments about our close proximity to the Oregon Convention Center. I hope you will choose to stay with us again. Please let me know if I can provide any assistance in making future reservations.

Baltimore, United States
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I'd highly recommend this hotel. The staff were extremely friendly, the room was very comfortable, they had plenty of pillows which were soft. If you have business in the downtown area, it is conveniently located to the mass transit system.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

TerryGoldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Julianne C,

Thank you for your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Portland and recommendation to other travelers to stay with us. On behalf of our entire staff thank you for your business and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Please let me know if I can assist in making any future reservations.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I had very high expectations regarding this hotel as it was part of the Doubletree chain. However, my partner and I were very disappointed with this hotel when we stayed here for 3 nights in July.

This hotel does have some positives which I would like to highlight

-Good location. You can catch the light rail from the airport to very near the hotel for $2.50 which is incredible value.
-Free cookie on check in.
-Modern furnishings.
-Outdoor pool.

However, we were disappointed with this hotel for the following reasons:

-Noisy rooms. The walls appear to be paper thin in this hotel. I was able to hear barking dogs at night (this hotel seems to accept dogs as guests) and the gentleman in the room next door talking on the phone and playing music.
-Tiny rooms. The room and bathroom are super small. You will not want to spend any time in this room.
-Unfriendly staff. I made a few enquiries during my stay and I found that the reception desk and concierge were not very friendly and were almost dismissive of my enquiries. This possibly could be due to me not being presented as a business traveller. As an example, when I asked the concierge to order me a taxi (which he did order), I asked whether I should wait inside or outside for this taxi. He rudely brushed me off by saying in an angry tone, "just suit yourself". I don't think it would have been that hard for him to say that I could wait either inside or outside the hotel depending on what was my preference.
-Poor housekeeping standards. The only way I could tell that housekeeping had been in our room was only because the towels had been changed. The floor was still dirty and there did not seem to have been any cleaning carried out in the room.
-No toilet paper provided. When the toilet paper ran out in our room, this was not replaced by housekeeping. I had to leave notes for the housekeeping staff and approach the concierge for replacement toilet paper. My advice if staying at this hotel would be to go to the grocery store about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and buy your own toilet paper. This would save a lot of stress.
-No replacement soap provided. As highlighted above with the toilet paper, once you use the soap in the room, no replacement soap will be provided. Make sure that you bring your own soap.

Although our stay was not the best at this hotel, we really enjoyed Portland. Portland is a very cool, fun and funky place and I would recommend that you visit Portland.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
TerryGoldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Olivia M,

Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to write about it here on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to read your experience with us was not a pleasant one and that the staff did not respond well when you shared your concerns. It is not at all acceptable. Please email me at tgoldman@portlanddoubletree.com at your convenience and I would like to discuss how I can make this up to you and your partner.

I am so very sorry again and do look forward to connecting with you soon.