“OK, Nothing Special”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland
Ranked #36 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Came to Portland for a conference at the Oregon Convention Center – the conference organizers selected the DoubleTree as the conference hotel. Not sure why, there are closer hotels of comparable quality. The DoubleTree is a rather awkward distance from the OCC, too far away to easily go back and forth but still close enough to command a premium price. It is right on the Max line and the time is too bad, just too far to be really convenient. Overall the hotel was OK, but nothing special. A generic, expensive hotel for business travelers – tries to be nice and fancy, but doesn't feel warm or welcoming.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
TerryGoldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Douglas U,

Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to let others know about your experience on TripAdvisor. I appreciate the feedback and will be sure to share it with our team. We always strive to provide each of our guests a warm and welcoming stay and I apologize we did not create that type of experience for you.

Thanks for staying with us. I do hope you will give us another try sometime., I invite you to contact me personally to make your arrangements.

tgoldman@portlanddoubletree.com

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland

Reviewed May 24, 2013

The Doubletree was the main hotel for a DrupalCon I recently attended...I booked it because of the convention rate and proximity to the convention center. I also wanted to be in a hotel with my fellow con attendees. My preferred brands, Kimpton and Marriott Courtyard, were calling my name, but convenience and price trumped habit.

I arrived very early on check-in day, having just come from and airbnb stay in a nearby neighborhood, and was kindly given an early check-in. My room was very clean, nicely designed, and comfortable for my entire stay. A creaky closet door was annoying the first day, but I really found myself not caring about it after that. I asked for, and received a dorm fridge in my room at no charge.

I was able to control room temp and fan noise, and barely touched it during my stay once I got the mix right. As hotel heating and cooling systems go, this was a good experience.

Had great experiences with the staff at all levels. I'll review food separately, but suffice it to say here that while my expectations were middling, my actual experience was excellent.

Portland is a foodie town, and I'd hoped to get out and try the food trucks, the pubs, and the donuts. :) The weather, however, favored snuggling in at the hotel lounge. I enjoyed great food, and beer, wine and a cocktail. Never felt that I compromised on quality or flavor by staying in. The breakfast buffet was a great choice in the a.m. We ate there two mornings out of the four days that I was there.

You can't beat Portland's public transit system, and I made the most of it during my 4-night stay. The light rail is just steps from the Doubletree's front door. One night I walked a few steps further, and hopped a bus to the Whole Foods in Sabin for dinner and room supplies. An easy trip through a beautiful neighborhood.

Took the light rail to the airport too...absolutely no snags, even given a driving rain storm.

The Doubletree is a reasonably priced hotel, convenient to transit, the convention center, and local shopping. Definitely worth a good look.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
TerryGoldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

allgimbel,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Portland for your convention. I am so glad you selected us and even more delighted to read about your wonderful experience. I appreciate the specific details about your visit, especially the great comments about our food and beverage options here in the hotel.

Thank you for your business and I do hope to have you stay with us in Portland again soon.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Great Hotel. The Staff was friendly and helpful when we asked about touring. They gave us a map and pointed out places and directions. We had a great big room with a balcony and a beautiful view! The beds were very comfortable. And the cookies were to die for! Would stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Melanie R.,
Thank you for your recent stay and great review here on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read the staff was so helpful. Thank you for your business and on behalf of our entire team, we look forward to welcoming back, "Warm Chocolate Chip Cookie" and all again soon.

Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Checking in was smooth, did not wait long at all before I was helped.. Staff was friendly!!
I booked a king balcony, the room was big, too big for two peaple, i think. I would have settled for a queen but king was the only room that offered a balcony. As far as the balcony, it was small and the view was ok, I don't think it was worth the extra $10.. Knowing it did not have a microwave or a fridge, I went ahead and booked a night because of the location, we were celebrating our 9th year Anniversary and the restaurant and shops were close by. Things you take for granted, not having a microwave or fridge really sucked because we had a lot of food left over from dinner and we had to throw it away. As far as the room goes, I thought it was a bit dated, from the wall paper, doors, carpet, old painting on one wall and modern on the other. Except for the granite countertops and furnitures I thought it was mixed match. Oh and one of the light switch on the bathroom was falling apart. I just expected better I guess, with the name Hilton attached to it. In my opinion the hotel needs revamping!

• Stayed: May 2013
TerryGoldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Thanks for your recent stay and taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I am glad you liked the location, but do apoloogize we did not meet your expectations in all areas. Should you choose to give us another try and I hope you do, please ask about having a small fridge and microwave delivered to the room. We have dozens on hand and we gladly place them in guest rooms upon request for no additional charge. Also thanks for the pictures. I am sorry we missed the light switch. Please email me at tgoldman@portlanddoubletree.com if you have a moment to let me know what room you were staying in and I will verify we have fixed it. Again I apologize and do sincerely thank you for your business. Happy Belated Anniversary!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

It was a very nice place. Everyone I dealt with, front desk, wait staff, concierge and convention service staff were all cordial and helpful at all times. The entire public space was clean and in good shape, no worn carpet or walls needing paint. Great location for peace and quiet yet close to the Lloyd Center mall, across the street as well as a nice park and a Metro stop on the corner, very convenient.

JimmyP,

Thank you for your recent stay and positve review on TripAdvisor about the DoubleTree by Hilton Portland. I am glad you had a quiet and peaceful stay. Thanks for sharing some details about our location and for your great comments about the service you received from our staff. I am glad they served you well.

On behalf of our entire team, thank you for your business and we look forward to your next stay.

DoubleTree by Hilton Portland

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I love staying at the Double Tree because you can ask the front desk for cookies any time. The staff cheerfully will them to you. The Hotel is right off the red MAX line, adjacent to Lloyd Center Mall/Ice Skating and was awesome for getting around downtown.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thanks for your recent stay and great review. I am so glad you had a positive experiance with us. I often walk by the desk and ask for a cookie myself, they are delicious. Thanks for sharing some details about our location as well. On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for your business and we hope to have you stay with us again soon. We will keep the cookies warm for you.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

The hotel was first-rate, easy at both check in and departure, and had a very good coffee bar and restaurant. The MAX rail, only a few steps away, made getting from the airport and to the downtown area very easy -- and pleasant.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
TerryGoldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you so much for your recent stay and taking the time to let us know about it on TripAdvisor. I am grateful you had such a nice visit. The MAX light rail is super convenient to get to and from the airport and downtown. I am so glad you took advantage of it. On behalf of our entire team, thank you for your business and we hope to have you stay with us again soon.

Kind Regards-