“Clean and comfortable”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Clean and comfortable”
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

The beds are amazing, the room temperature is easy to control and I always sleep well here. Compared to other hotels in downtown Portland, as long you don't need to be in the heart of the city, pay a little less and stay at this excellent hotel with great service and a good bar.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank LivesInHotels365
TGoldmanDoubleTree, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your stay with us last month and taking the time to write about it here on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I am also grateful for your positive comments about the comfort of the bed and the great service you experienced. On behalf of our entire team, we look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Was in Portland to attend concert at the Rose Garden and stayed at the doubletree primarily bevause of its proximity to the Rose Garden. The roons are spacious, very clean, and the beds are extremely comfortable. Another bonus is the public transportation (MAX) has connection terminal one block from the hotel. I highly recommend and will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank sjdif
TerryGoldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thanks so much for your stay with us this Spring and taking the time to write about it here on TripAdvisor. I am delighted you had a nice experience and especially appreciative of your comments as a Top Contributor. I agree with you the DoubleTree by Hilton Sweet Dreams Bed is extremely comfortable. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Thanks again,

Terry Goldman - Hotel Manager
Ellsworth, Maine
Reviewed March 30, 2013

The Doubletree is very convenient to the light rail to/from the city and airport. It's a short walk to the Convention Center. The exercise facilities were small, but I never had to wait for a machine and everything seemed to work fine. I was really glad to have a balcony and a view of Mount Hood. Door to the balcony was tough to close, but I figured it out the second night. Friendly staff. Only complaint was that I found trash from someone else's visit on the floor by the desk, but everything else was clean. Bed was comfortable. The last night of our trip, we left to stay at a cheaper hotel closer to the airport because we had an early flight. In hindsight, we should have just stayed here again. Would have been equally convenient. I didn't feel incredibly safe in the neighborhood, but I walked fast and with purpose at night.

Room Tip: I was on a higher floor with a balcony, and it was nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Awesome location. Mall right next door and so was train to downtown which took 15 min. So much easier than drivng.$5 for adult all day pass.

20 min to Gorge sites, plus close to top restaurants. Clean spacious rooms.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Not sure how satisfied I am with this hotel. I guess I'm used to having a simple breakfast of fruit and coffee provided, but not here. I'll walk down the block for my morning repast. Hot water took a while to reach the faucets which was counter-intuitive in this eco-friendly city. Location is hard to beat if you don't need to be "downtown". I might try an alternative, but this hotel fills a need.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Springdale, Utah, United States
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Very comfortable beds, most important to me! The shower plumbing was literally coming out of the wall and was swiftly attended to when we reported it. The location of this hotel is very easy with the light rail literally near the front entrance. Very easy to get back to the airport! Also took advantage of the bus lines from this location making it a cinch to be carless. Take the no. 8 line for direct access to Broadway and Alberta Streets to the north.The lobby restaurant, Gather, was fine for lunch. The service was excellent. All in all, a very pleasurable experience.

Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Sandy B
WA
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This hotel was good for a conference I attended, but maybe not so much for a family seeking good value. I wish they would upgrade the chairs in the meeting rooms, they were only comfortable for about 15 minutes.
Our double queen balcony room was spacious and very good for sharing. We had a city view, and if the weather is nice, you may want to ask for the mountain view side to see Mt Hood. Good housekeeping, there were some minor maintenance issues like a chipped bathroom door. I believe we had feather pillows, and I had some allergy issues with them. I called and asked for foam pillows, and was told there were 2 in the closet, I asked for more but they were never sent.
In the restauraunt we only had the breakfast buffet, the only choice, for $13. There was no lunch-type food before 11, so we went over to the mall to find some. Lunch at the bar was pretty good, $12-16 sandwiches, but they had happy hour 4-6 pm with half price bar snacks that were tasty. A dinner from room service was ok, delivered quickly by a nice cheery gentleman. Parking in the garage was free for us.

Room Tip: If the weather is clear, you may want to ask for a mountain view. Our balcony room was spacious.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GMSteveF, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear opossums5,

Thank you so much for your business! I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I'm not certain what conference you attended, but our banquet chairs are less than a year old, and are top of the line, flex back chairs....as comfortable as are available for banquet chairs. (which, by the way, even the top of the line banquet chairs aren't great to sit in for very long! That's a hint to ask about our EMC!)

I'm also a bit confused on your breakfast experience, as we offer a full ala carte menu daily in addition to our lavish "Breakfast by Doubletree" buffet. I will circle back with our staff to ensure we are communicating clearly, and I do apologize for the lack of clarity.
We realize the little things mean everything for our travelers, and I'm disappointed to hear we didn't get your extra pillows delivered either. My sincere apologies!

Thank you for sharing, we do hope to have you back at the Doubletree on your next visit to Portland.

Steve Faulstick