“Very Good!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lexington, Kentucky
“Very Good!”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The room was very very small, but clean and comfortable. The parking rate was high in particular for Sunday night. The location is very good, it is near the tram station which takes you everywhere. We didn't move our car for 3 days.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GMSteveF, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
young friend,

I'm pleased to hear you had a great experience at the Doubletree!

We do have varying types and sizes of guest rooms (read the previous response on how big the room was :-) ), and I encourage any guest to ask for options when booking and checking in. The team will work hard to get you into a room that best suits your needs.

Thanks again.....we hope to see you on your next visit!

Steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My first visit to Portland (about this time last year) was a debacle. I found myself staying on the complete wrong side of town for a single woman unfamiliar with the area. The 12 hours I was there I found the city impossible to navigate and the people completely unhelpful.

This time I was in the Portland area 5 days and had the opportunity to get familiar with the city. Having a nice hotel certainly helped the initial experience. I found the Doubletree to be a lovely hotel for a reasonable price. Since I travel a lot for my job it is vital to me to stay in hotels that are easy in and easy out and very close to the main traffic arteries. The Doubletree is located just across the stree from a nice little park where people would walk their dogs or eat their lunch. Of course since it was Portland, a lot of people seemed to be living in the park as well.

The Doubletree is also steps from the Loyd Center Mall which has a Nordstroms, Macys, H&M, and even an ice skating rink! That was very handy as I had left my phone charger at home and desperately needed to get a new one ASAP.

I am an avid exerciser and found running through Portland to be a nice experience. I did not feel at all unsafe or uneasy while running around the neighborhood and down along the river. It is a very business-y area. So if you wait for the sun to come up and then go for a run you should be fine. Also, the Portland metro has a stop right outside the hotel. Good and bad. Good that you can get public transportation so easily...bad that you hear the bell dinging fairly late into the evening and cannot sleep with your window open.

The rooms at the Doubletree were VERY spacious, clean, and newly updated. It's an older hotel but they have been successful at keeping it updated. The pool area is very nice and clean. However, do not let them tell you it's heated. It isn't. But it's VERY refreshing if you like polar dives.

Parking is excellent. They offer valet or self park. The first night, out of shear exhaustion from traveling all day, I had them valet the car. The other 4 days I self parked. When I got my bill it showed that I had valeted the car all 5 days but the front desk clerk was very quick to fix that and apologized all over herself for the mix-up. I found the staff at the Doubletree to be incredibly helpful and friendly. I got the impression that this was quite a popular place for conferences as there were two happening while I was there.

Room Tip: Try to get on the north side of the hotel as that is farthest from the metro stop.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
TGoldmanDoubleTree, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear True W, Thank you for your review of the DoubleTree by Hilton Portland. I am glad you made the choice to stay with us. I genuinely appreciate your very thorough review. We hope to have you as a guest again soon.

Terry Goldman - Hotel Manager
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Great location, beautiful rooms but pretty noisy. Shame you have to pay for WiFi and parking is expensive. Helpful staff and easy access to I5 and rail service. Would stay here again, brilliant city! If you go to Voodoo Donuts, go to the one nearer to the hotel its much quicker :-D

• Stayed September 2012
Brandon, Florida
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Hotel is right next to the light rail which was great for quickly getting into downtown Portland. It took 10-15 minutes to get to the first stop in downtown. I found this to be the most reasonably priced 3 star hotel close to downtown. Other hotels in the convention area I noticed are much farther away from the light rail and would be a long walk. The room we were given was a little tight but it was advertised as small and priced accordingly. Room was clean and seemed to be recently updated and tastefully decorated. Hotel is older and showing some age in public areas but overall a very nice large convention type hotel. There is a mall next door and there are some food options but not much going on in the area which is mostly office buildings.

Room Tip: We had a 2nd floor room in the lower tower. It is quiet and away from the street and light rail line...
Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Valerie34099, Thank you for the nice review about the property. I appreciate your comments and thoughts. I hope we have the opportunity to have you stay with again sometime soon.

Kind Regards,

Terry Goldman - Hotel Manager
Grand Forks, ND
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I arrived at the hotel on 9/16/12 just before 12:00 PM not expecting to be able to check in, but the front desk staff greeted me warmly and said they had rooms ready. I was swiftly checked in and given a fresh cookie and bottle of water. I stayed 4 nights and was very comfortable at the hotel. I thought the room was clean and the bed and pillows were so comfortable. I loved that the Max was right across the street. It was so easy to get around Portland and get to/from the airport. If you have a chance have some gelato for dessert at Gather. It was superb!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
GMSteveF, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear GS_Gal

Thank you so much for your business!

I appreciate your very kind comments about our staff (and the cookie!). While checkin time is 3PM, it never hurts to ask about checking in early on the day of your reservation, as our team will always do their best to get guests in as soon as rooms come available.

We look forward to serving you on your next visit to Portland, we'll have warm cookies waiting for you!

with THANKS
Surrey
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Don't know if convention food is always bad but my beef was so tough It hurt my hands to cut it so I gave up. Obviously others had the same problem. There was a lot of plates with beef left on them. Second night their pasta was not very good either. The hotel and the rooms were great, we had free parking. Great place to stay, not so great if you are hungry.

Dear Linda H,

I appreciate your comments about your stay. I have discussed your comments with our culinary team and planning manager. We received overall great feedback on this event, and I'm sorry to hear you did not have that same experience.
I believe one of our team has reached out to you about your experience at one of our banquets. If not, please contact me personally to discuss.

Culver City, California
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Pros:
Right on the Max Rail. Got to hotel from Airport in 20 minutes! Nice lobby space and hotel bar. Local beers on tap, and the barkeep made great cocktails as well. The cookie. Comfortable Bed. Granite Counters in room and bathroom. Nice flatscreen w/ HD cable,I like this neighborhood. I like this part of the city in between the river fork. Nice blend of residential and urban and Portland flair. Convenient with the Max Rail if you don't have a car, but even better if you do have one and can explore the surroundings (Check out Good Food Here cart pod and Alberta St shops and restaurants, the Sugar Cube cart. We saw a bunch of hotels downtown that all seemed small, rundown, a touch seedy. Downtown is a place you will surely check out during your stay, but not necessarily the nicest spot to stay. Prices of coffee/yogurt/pastries at the breakfast cart were reasonable.

Cons- The rooms are small. Nicely equipped, but small. At least the one we were in. The bathroom was tight with shower only, no bath tub. Parking is pricey. The place books up for conventions, so less flexibility (we couldn't get two beds). No hot tub in the pool area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank butfoodcomesfirst