“Overpriced, unfriendly, a bit worn and tired”

Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
Ranked #23 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Denver, Colorado
“Overpriced, unfriendly, a bit worn and tired”
Reviewed March 18, 2009

We spent a week here in October 2008 and another week in March 2009. Both times I thought the hotel was overpriced and slightly dated. Although the food and room service were quite good...especially if the staff thought a tip might be forthcoming...in general I left both times feeling like I'd been had. There are much better options in Portland.

The room was small and typically appointed but the carpet and furniture was a bit worn. Small dusty bottles of water (25 oz) were on the desk in the room and probably hadn't been moved for months - most likely because they cost $5. The internet connection was $12.95 (and terribly slow). The sink in my room wasn't cleaned for several days in a row. And the room was either piping hot or very cold even though I didn't touch the thermostat. But the biggest disappointment was the front desk service. The personnel were extremely friendly if they saw dollar signs but were dismissive and rude otherwise.

We stayed here because of a discount offered by the vendor whose class we attended. The front desk was downright rude when I asked them to change my rack rate to the vendor's preferred rate. They finally said they would give me the preferred rate (a whopping $20 discount for about half the days we were there) only if I provided a signed statement from the vendor on their letterhead that I was attending their class. This was only after I threatened to pull the additional $10,000 we were going to spend on upcoming stays.

I think there are cheaper, friendlier, and more pleasant options in Portland. The Marriott's location was convenient but there are other hotels in the vicinity so they aren't the only option. I left feeling like they were probably a very good hotel at one time but they've declined in value. And seldom have I ever seen such a blatant attempt to seperate you from as many dollars as possible.

Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Korean first
Spanaway
Reviewed January 14, 2009

I was at this hotel for a business training session this weekend. The food was the best, the customer service was exceptional!
The rooms are small, but have balconies! You can hear the noise outside, even from the 10th floor, but it wasn't bad.
I would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — The great customer service
  • Disliked — You could hear the noise from the garbage truck and sirens outside from the 10th floor
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed December 15, 2008

What a great hotel. From the time we drove up to the time we left (4 days later) the staff were fantastic, the room was perfect and great views. Hotel is within walking distance to shopping and restaurants, we would start our day with a cappuccino made in the lobby (and it was perfect) and walk around downtown. Only negative is paying for wireless and business center. Other than that everything was great!

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Disliked — having to pay for wireless
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Connecticut
Reviewed November 24, 2008

My problems at the Marriott began when I opted to by-pass the valet parking. In general I don't like valet parking, and at nearly $30/day, its simply not worth it. The valet attendant did kindly point me to the nearby parking garage, but when I asked at the front desk if they validated parking, the employees demeanor changed from friendly to condescending, and I was rudely told, "We don't validate, we have valet." Given that their website clearly advertises the availability of self-parking, I was offended by the rude response at check-in.

Also, when paying $10+ for internet, you expect it to work...mine did not. So the hotel sent up a man with a thick Russian accent who seemed to have little experience working with computers. He spent over an hour in my room with tech support (who apparently I could not talk to directly) and going back and forth between my room and the basement for extra parts trying to fix my wired-connection. Anytime I suggested that I could just try the wireless (which wasn't even supposed to be available on my floor) I was told "We like guests to use the cable connection so we can troubleshoot better." Obviously, that option was not working. Ultimately the problem was fixed with a new router, but it was quite a waste of my time.

As for the rest of the experience, I was disappointed. It wasn't necessarily that there was anything wrong with the service or room, it was just there was nothing that went above and beyond the average hotel, something I would expect from a downtown Marriott. The room was clean, but the bathroom was small. The staff was generally helpful with requests. The location is alright, but outside the couple of restaurants in lobby, you are several blocks away from the active section of Portland.

Overall, just an average hotel that will give you a decent room to sleep in, but don't expect the staff to go above and beyond to make this an above average experience. And if you opt out of the valet parking, best to keep that to yourself.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Expensive valet parking
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank mathias1979
Buckeye, Arizona
Reviewed November 18, 2008

Upon check in there was considerable confusion regarding our reservation, and we were not given the type of room we requested, instead of king we got a room with two double beds.

On the second night of our stay I became very ill with vomiting and a severe headache. We had been using the heater and I suddenly noticed a smell of natural gas, this concerned me and I called the front desk. The young man who answered said it was just the heating system and that it "'sometimes gets stinky" I asked that they send some one up to check it out and although he seemed annoyed he said he would. This was between 8 and 8:30 pm we were up till midnight and no one came to check out the problem. Realizing that the heating may be the problem we turned it off it got cold but at least I wasn't throwing up anymore and the headache lessened. At check out the following morning,I Complained to the front desk
who brought out a manager all he did was apologize and said it was the heating system and that he thought it had been fixed which indicates to me that they knew about the problem and I wasn't the first to have a problem. He offered to comp the next night but it wasn't in our plans to stay another night and I wouldn't have anyway. I feel a portion, if not our entire stay should be comped or at least discounted. We have complained directly to Marriott so we will have to see what happens with that.
In addition the staff in the bar area at lunch time were very rude and pretentious. The menu is also way over priced.

Also when trying to store my bags with the bellman, I stood there waiting for over 5 minutes bags in hand while the bellman was talking on his cell phone (clearly a personal call) and never once did I have a bellman offer to open a door for me.
Finally we had booked a 2 week stay but cancelled the second week for obvious reasons, and went over to the Westin.

• Liked — The size of our room and flat screen TV
  • Disliked — The service, and the heating system
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank redheadedangel41
PT, Washington
Reviewed November 3, 2008

I slept like a rock, this bed was heavenly. Staff was friendly and helpful. Location was perfect and priced right. Downfalls: $28 for overnight parking was the highest around, maid did not clean our room the second day (not that it really needed it), next door neighbors were partiers and came home at 2PM but could not find their keys. But I would definately stay there again!

Stayed October 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed October 28, 2008

My husband booked this hotel on a whim as we were staying in Seattle and wanted to check out Portland. From the moment we arrived we received great service! Check in was very efficent and the bellman were talkative and asked us about Canada and our hometown, very nice and made the stay seem very personable. We were in a river view room which was brillant, and offered a great river view as well as a quaint little patio. The room was very clean and spacious (the bathroom is a bit tight though). We ordered room service for breakfast and dinner one evening and weren't too impressed with the food BUT the gentlemen who delivered the food were very nice! The one downside to this hotelwas we found the room a little tired, the walls were paper thin and we could hear our neighbour talking quite clearly, the toliet also had many issues. Not big deals though the staff was great, and the room was very clean that's whats important right?

• Liked — Friendly service, clean room, location
  • Disliked — Thin walls, old plumbing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple