“Awesome front desk staff!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and save 20%!
Ranked #46 of 135 Hotels in Portland
Buffalo, New York
“Awesome front desk staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This hotel was a bit pricey given the quality of the room. Twice we had to go to front desk and let them know our room had not been cleaned during the day while we were out. The front desk staff was exceptional, going above and beyond to help, answer questions and make our stay enjoyable! The location is excellent and within walking distance to most downtown venues. Would definitely stay here again based on the fantastic treatment we received from the front desk staff!!

Green Features: Very environmentally friendly, consistent with Portland's green policies.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
      Location

Victoria, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This is definitively your typical Marriott Hotel. Good service, nice and clean rooms and public areas, etc. The location is specially good because it is not right in the middle of the downtown area but close enough that you can walk around and "be there". The hotel does not get 5 starts because of two small details: 1- The isolation to the street is not great and if you are in a lower floor (as I was) you will hear more than you expect. And that's even true (like in my case) when the room does not face the street. 2- My room had a HUGE A/C unit (like really big) taking space. It is also noisy and when it starts, it really rattles the floor and wall. Fortunately, it does not happen very often. Final comment: my usual rant... Why is that something you get for free today in most roadside motels in America (namely Internet service) is still being charged in these hotel chain locations? Fortunately your friendly cafe in the next corner provides you with free wi-fi while having a coffee...

Room Tip: Higher floor, not facing the street (it is my guess)
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This is a nice hotel - but it is not a Category 7 as Marriott touts it to be. I am a Platinum Marriott member, and was disappointed at the quality for price. The best thing about the hotel is the view of the water and mountain - be warned that because of the geography, it's also a view of the hiway and traffic.

Everything about this hotel is nice, and only nice. For Category 7 I expect to see excellent and a bit over the top.

The breakfast at Truss was disappointing. The food was again, nice. But the omelette station was staffed by an older gentlemen who was partially deaf - I and the 3 people in line near me had to shout. He had no customer service and let us wait for at least 5 minutes while he refilled some items and never acknowledged us. My server for Sunday was scarce and never returned with the butter I asked for. I finally went to the buffet (I had order off the menu that day, so it's wasn't strictly allowed).

Breakfast is nice, but the dinner food selection was uninspired and did not reflect any local cuisine. The guacamole has sugar and the salsa is bland. Their cesar salad was fine, but the salmon was dry - overcooked.

Be warned that this location is near the water way, train rails and main car hiway. So you will get the train whistle until 12midnight, load boat nice throughout the evening and car noise the whole time. The windows do a good job at blocking the noise and I live in the city back home, so it didn't bother me.

Room Tip: A room on a high floor will yield a better view and probably less noise
Green Features: This is not how I rate a hotel. I don't care how they handle this
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
      Location
    • 3 of 5 stars
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations. We pride ourselves on excellent service and it sounds like we missed some opportunities during your stay. Please contact me at your convenience as I would like to get some more detail from your stay and make sure you have been taken care of as well.

William S/Senior Rooms Operations Manager
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

The location and price are the main things that make this hotel potentially worth staying in. Pretty clean and comfortable, and walking distance to nice areas along the waterfront. The hotel and rooms are nothing special, basic and no frills. No fridge or extra room amenities, and bathroom is cramped. Give the restaurant a pass -- not even worth stopping by for breakfast, as the quality and service were poor and food was pricey. There are so many great places to eat in Portland, don't waste your time at Truss.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 stars
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear WesternTravelGal, Thank you for staying with us and taking time to review our hotel. I apologize that our service was not up to your or our expectations. I have reviewed your comments with the team to make sure they understand taht service is what drives our business. You may be interested to know that our guest rooms will be renovated at the end of the year with a modern look and feel and will also have refrigerators. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

on july 21, 2014. i arrived at the marriott portland downtown waterfront hotel. being my first ever visit to portland. i was treated to superb , top notch customer service. dana and her staff went above and beyond the call of duty to make me feel welcome. thank you for allowing me to be part of this marriott family.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank William C
coquitlam, bc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Loved this hotel! Check in was easy, staff were friendly and it's right across the street from the water and an amazing views. Lots of restaurants along the water and the area definitely felt safe. Valet was $32 a day but isn't that the norm for downtown hotels across North America? Room was spacious, and had a great view of the river. Room was clean and elevators were quick. This hotel is at the edge of downtown so a lot quieter than pioneer square, but only a 15 min or so walk . Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If offered a balcony room, don't expect a large balcony, it's really just a stepout for 1 pe...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank hotelguest1982
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed here last year and gave a favorable review. Good review again but would again mention that the valet charge is $32.00 per night, no where else to park and wireless chage is $9.99' come on Marriott, there really shouldn't be a chage for wireless when the rooms are already over $300.00. That's a bad mark from me.

Otherwise....good stay,good sleep, good location.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple