Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
$343
$327
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Inn at Northrup Station(Portland)
$184
$178
Travelocity
1,629 results
All reviewsm clubthe concierge loungeview of the rivermount hoodvalet parkinglobby barfitness centernice propertysaturday marketper nightfront desk staffvalet servicefew blocksup to datethe pearlpublic transportationlight rail
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Second time stayer and maybe even more impressed!
One of the hallmarks of good management is often employee longevity, This hotel has quite on number of long term employees who love their work (speak to some of the crew at Truss over breakfast).
It shows up at many touch points in this hotel's service plus some clever design. Example - front desk staff great you person to person on the floor and not behind a big barrier. Sure, ...document processing still does happen behind a counter, but to be approached and not have to approach is a friendly experience.
Facilities are good, and yes, if you got real picky you could say the decor is a bit dated, but not unclean.
Value? yes it seems reasonable.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 4, 2014

This is a very clean hotel. It is very easy to walk around downtown. The river is beautiful. Portland is a very fun town. The Saturday market is very entertaining. With very good talented artist. I really enjoyed the Saturday market. This hotel made visiting Portland very easy with a good breakfast to start your day.

Room Tip: Use your Military Id to get a very discount.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. I will be sure to pass along your sentiments. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 3, 2014

As a business traveler, I try to get the most out of my experiences. I enjoy seeking out independent properties with solid reviews, even if they are slightly off the beaten path. But when I am rushed and it's just easier to do the chain thing (did someone say rewards points??), city center Marriott properties regularly disappoint (with the possible exception of the Marriott Marquis NYC). Expensive, tired, dirty, unkempt is about the best I can do for this hotel. The service was depressing, the lobby was packed with huge groups of "conference kids" lounging all over the place with headphones and cellphones. Elevators were overcrowded and painfully slow, just abysmal. The bright spot was the waterfront location. With so many other choices (two nice Kimptons which are a stone's throw) in this area, choose wisely. Choose differently.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank ax1
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay and the condition of our hotel. Please give me a call at your convenience - I would like to get more details about your stay in order to give us the opportunity to correct the issues you have mentioned.

Senior Manager of Rooms Operations
(503) 226-7600

Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is nice enough and the staff is friendly. But don't stay here if you actually want to sleep. The sirens, the constant traffic, blaring music, people yelling and 7am leaf blowers make it impossible. I am deaf in one ear and we stayed on the 11th floor. I have never had this experience in any hotel in any city before.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nikkidrifting

Thank you for the kind words about our staff. I appreciate the benefits of a good night's rest and feel badly that you did not sleep well. I apologize for the noise encountered during your stay. Please contact me at your convenience - I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you to review these issues so that we can learn from your experience.

Senior Manager of Rooms Operations
(503) 226-7600

Reviewed April 28, 2014

I work in the hotel business for four years and this was just SUCH an unacceptable stay from begining to end. If I was not enjoying my time at the WPA Conference being held at the hotel, I would be beyond mad. I had called before flying into Portland from Santa Ana to confirm the reservation and let them know that we were going to be coming in a little bit early; the girl at the desk although laughing and mockingly rude said she would make not of that and everything was fine with the reservation. Upon check in, Nathan helped us out in which we arrived early at 1:00pm. I reserved a room for 2 queen beds because there were going to be 3 adults. Nathan let us know that there were no rooms available, no rooms with two queen beds available, & no roll-away beds. Although he was very nice and honest with us, it was just so disappointing to have to be ready to present in TWO hours and not even have a place to freshen up.

I realize that the Marriott has an older system in which most of the world uses Opera PMS, the looks that I received when requesting different payment methods, questions, or concerns was excruciating. We finally received a room at 5:00pm, not because of the conference but because there were just ZERO rooms. When finally getting a room, we walked in and it was the smallest room I have been in. Once I got into the room, we requested for a fridge and to my surprise (not really) they did NOT have any. Also, I called for a single blanket and two towels. The desk replied that they had NEITHER. Who runs out of blankets or towels?!

Lastly, I am not sure that everyone was newly employed but when I asked about posting payment/getting receipts NO ONE seemed to be able to do that for me- not the front desk, not the Rooms Department Manager, or anyone else at the desk. Who are these people? The last thing is that I trusted these people with my credit card. The hold was fine and I understand that that is something they need to do. Upon check out I wanted to make sure that the only amount on my card that was being charged was a certain amount, I confirmed almost 5 times. EVEN AFTER THE FIVE TIMES, the hotel seemed to charge my card, a different card to one that I even checked in with. The credit card used to hold the room is NOT the credit card used to charge the room/tax in. I never presented this card to the hotel. In fact this card was NEVER available to me during my whole entire stay because it was about 10 hours away in my home.

When I tried to reach accounting to straighten this out, I get voicemail... EACH TIME! I think that the hotel should give me a discount or something because this was possibly the WORST stay I have ever had. As an ex-front desk employee, in which we strive to have complete customer satisfaction... this is so disappointing. Maybe Marriott just does not hold the same standards as other hotel chains.

So in short only stay at this hotel if:
1. You don't care about the size of your room
2. You don't care about being treated respectfully
3. You don't care if the hotel uses credit cards you do not allow for them to use or if you like fraudulent charges on your credit card!
4. You don't care about the hotel not having basic needs- towels, blankets, etc.
5. You enjoy talking to a voicemail
6. You want to overpay and WASTE your money for the above references.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank thegraceann
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear GraceAnn,

We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay and from the sound of it, what could go wrong, did go wrong. I apologize for the poor showing by our hotel and want you to know that we are very concerned about the issues you faced during your stay. We welcome your partnership in letting us know about your stay so that we can learn from your experience. If you have any further concerns, please contact me at your convenience. I will be more than happy to assist you.

Senior Rooms Operations Manager