“Service is a standout - all that was needed.”

Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
Ranked #21 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed 5 nights while attending a Conference. The service from every area of contact was wonderful.
I was new to Portland and needed directions, maps, suggestions, shopping tips - everyone I asked from bell-hop at door to the director working the lobby were extremely friendly and helpful.
Dining - always good with suggested eats and variations. Bar - open, warm, jovial and efficient.
Front desk - smiles and very accommodating with a late checkout request.
The service was a standout!
Location is fine, walking is easy into downtown or very short cab ride.
Everything else was as expected.

Without any other hotel to compare locally, I felt the room / price was a bit higher than reasonable, particularly given the additional taxes.
Would I stay again? Maybe not if it was a holiday. For a conference, yes - all that was needed.

Room Tip: Riverside rooms will have the best views.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Thank you for the great review of our staff. We pride ourselves in Hosting Brilliantly for our guests. Hosting guests is now an art-form in our business and the staff of our hotel wants to make every guest's experience a fond and memorable one. Thank you again and please come to visit with us again soon...

Write a ReviewReviews (1,536)

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Well positioned for anything you may like, we were blessed with perfect October weather during our stay. Waterfront Park is the front yard; museums and other cultural stuff within a mile or so. Food everywhere, much of it excellent. All within easy walking distance. Be aware that bicycles rule in Portland, maybe more so than anywhere else. Pedestrians should stay alert at all times.
Hotel itself is a renovated Marriot w a really nice workout/pool facility. Equipment is mostly brand new, and lightly used.
Not the cleanest room we've ever had. One breakfast at the hotel was just OK. Could be a five-star with a little work. 5th floor room with river view was a bit noisy; traffic heats up early.
Good value, and would stay here again.

Room Tip: As high as you can get; quieter on the city side.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry your room was not perfect for your stay. Please send me a quick note to let me know what we missed - I'd like to follow-up with our housekeeping staff. The staff of the hotel is very proud of their work and if we don't get it right, they want to know and make it right for our future guests. I'm glad you enjoyed the view and got to use our exercise room - did you go for a walk in the waterfront park or get a chance to use the pool and relax in the hot-tub? Both great ways to end a long work day or a day of play...

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I was here for a conference; the facilities were all very nice. what struck me the most was the front desk staff. Whenever I stopped by, or called, they were extremely polite, helpful, knowledgeable, and generally, just very responsive. One mentioned that they all served as Concierge - I think that was really true. I felt that the staff were totally at our disposal - what a pleasure!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Thank you for the great comments about our staff - a great staff does make a great hotel. I will be sure to pass on your comments to everyone. Thank you for staying with us and please visit us again soon!

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Came to this hotel for a work convention in September. No real complaints, room was fine, I had an awesome view of the riverfront from my room. I am a smoker, I know it is frowned upon in Portland, however they also seem to make it even that much harder to find a place to smoke. Out the back door, down the street, not exactly safe for someone who is not familiar with the city. How hard would it be to have someplace in front away from the doors?
The other thing is the only place to get lunch in the hotel was the bar area, food was good, prices not bad but they really need more servers if they know that they are going to be busy with convention goers.
All in all, not a bad experience, but if I visit Portland for fun this wouldn't be my choice hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tinabear
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Thank you for sharing your concerns about our hotel. Smoking outside our front entrance is not allowed not only by the doors but also because of the existing roof and the proximity of vents into the building, makes it prohibitive. We're sorry to hear we would not be your hotel of choice in the future and I will be sure to pass on to the Restaurant Manager about the lack of available servers in our Bistro. The Bistro is a very popular place with our guests and the locals in our area and we need to make sure we're always staffed appropriately.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Very clean very comfortable rooms. The staff was very friendly and helpful. the tv has all the hookups and cables you need to watch your own movies from laptops and games. The bar tender at the lobby bar was very nice and hooked me up with a energy drink when I had a late night drive ahead of me. I really appreciated it! The valet parking wasn't too bad. There is also a few restaurants close by on the water front within short walking distance. I overall enjoyed my stay here and will for sure be booking another stay here in the near future!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Thank you for the wonderful comments about our hotel. We are glad you were able to enjoy your stay and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed at this property while in town for a convention. Of note, the hotel is not close and the provided shuttle was sporadic. Had I known the city better I would have booked something within walking distance.

Overall I was generally unimpressed with the property though the service was good. I checked in around noon and was put in room 630. This is the smallest hotel room I have ever been put in - with a Queen bed and a single chair there wasn't room to iron or spread out at all. It was also dark and overlooked a parking lot. I requested and was moved to a larger room on the 9th floor. When booking, I'd suggest specifically not requesting a single occupancy room.

In my 3 night stay I had to have my room key re-keyed 4-5 times - even when I kept in a completely separate pocket. Each time I went to the front desk I was offered a different tip - none of which worked. These were keys branded for the convention - not sure if that mattered or not.

The only dining area is quite small and is quickly overcrowded with a full hotel. I ended up using room service for my breakfasts - 2 of 3 were quite good. In addition, most of the staff was helpful and quite pleasant. Though housekeeping was marginal - I found a few beads on the floor from a prior guest.

Room Tip: Avoid single occupancy rooms - they are way too small
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank lrf486

Thank you for sharing your experiences at our hotel, I will pass on your concerns. I will also let our event staff know of your concerns about the shuttle service that your company booked for your convention. We're sorry to hear you did not find our Bistro Lounge to be inviting and instead felt crowded - it is an exciting place to be in our hotel and many of our patrons enjoy the atmosphere and camaraderie. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stayed two nights at the Marriot. As others have noted, rooms are smaller but very clean and have everything you need for two people. The staff are friendly and efficient. Our room wasn't ready but he promised us a high floor with water view. I didn't expect to get a waterview when I booked the hotel. Great surprise! The lobby bar is great. It was crowded at happy hour and at lunch. The indoor pool is convenient and the hot tub relaxing. The waterfront is across the street so you can walk to restaurants and small shops for breakfast. Breakfast at the hotel is 15.00 for menu to 18.00 for the buffet. The hotel is at the southwest end of town so it's a walk to most sites but it's fine if you have great shoes and prepared to walk in all types of weather. The street car and Tri met are close by so you don't have to walk if you choose not to. I would stay here again just because it has the amenities and a great, friendly staff that makes your trip comfortable.

Room Tip: We were on the 16th floor with water view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra I

Thank you for the great comments about our hotel and the staff. While the location of our hotel is not in the "center" of downtown, our patrons find the proximity to the Waterfront Park and the short walk to other areas to be very relaxing. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again when visiting Portland!