“Great hotel service, and comfortable rooms!”

Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
Ranked #24 of 143 Hotels in Portland
Concord, California
“Great hotel service, and comfortable rooms!”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Very clean very comfortable rooms. The staff was very friendly and helpful. the tv has all the hookups and cables you need to watch your own movies from laptops and games. The bar tender at the lobby bar was very nice and hooked me up with a energy drink when I had a late night drive ahead of me. I really appreciated it! The valet parking wasn't too bad. There is also a few restaurants close by on the water front within short walking distance. I overall enjoyed my stay here and will for sure be booking another stay here in the near future!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful comments about our hotel. We are glad you were able to enjoy your stay and hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed at this property while in town for a convention. Of note, the hotel is not close and the provided shuttle was sporadic. Had I known the city better I would have booked something within walking distance.

Overall I was generally unimpressed with the property though the service was good. I checked in around noon and was put in room 630. This is the smallest hotel room I have ever been put in - with a Queen bed and a single chair there wasn't room to iron or spread out at all. It was also dark and overlooked a parking lot. I requested and was moved to a larger room on the 9th floor. When booking, I'd suggest specifically not requesting a single occupancy room.

In my 3 night stay I had to have my room key re-keyed 4-5 times - even when I kept in a completely separate pocket. Each time I went to the front desk I was offered a different tip - none of which worked. These were keys branded for the convention - not sure if that mattered or not.

The only dining area is quite small and is quickly overcrowded with a full hotel. I ended up using room service for my breakfasts - 2 of 3 were quite good. In addition, most of the staff was helpful and quite pleasant. Though housekeeping was marginal - I found a few beads on the floor from a prior guest.

Room Tip: Avoid single occupancy rooms - they are way too small
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank lrf486
Thank you for sharing your experiences at our hotel, I will pass on your concerns. I will also let our event staff know of your concerns about the shuttle service that your company booked for your convention. We're sorry to hear you did not find our Bistro Lounge to be inviting and instead felt crowded - it is an exciting place to be in our hotel and many of our patrons enjoy the atmosphere and camaraderie. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stayed two nights at the Marriot. As others have noted, rooms are smaller but very clean and have everything you need for two people. The staff are friendly and efficient. Our room wasn't ready but he promised us a high floor with water view. I didn't expect to get a waterview when I booked the hotel. Great surprise! The lobby bar is great. It was crowded at happy hour and at lunch. The indoor pool is convenient and the hot tub relaxing. The waterfront is across the street so you can walk to restaurants and small shops for breakfast. Breakfast at the hotel is 15.00 for menu to 18.00 for the buffet. The hotel is at the southwest end of town so it's a walk to most sites but it's fine if you have great shoes and prepared to walk in all types of weather. The street car and Tri met are close by so you don't have to walk if you choose not to. I would stay here again just because it has the amenities and a great, friendly staff that makes your trip comfortable.

Room Tip: We were on the 16th floor with water view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sandra I
Thank you for the great comments about our hotel and the staff. While the location of our hotel is not in the "center" of downtown, our patrons find the proximity to the Waterfront Park and the short walk to other areas to be very relaxing. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again when visiting Portland!
Upstate
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Family of three arrived late from the airport and check-in did not require a full minute. Unreal. Four minutes after we arrived we were in our room. Quite small but very clean, bedding was reasonable quality and the bathroom was clean. We appreciated that the pool was open until 11 and the fitness area was open 24 hours. For a downtown hotel, the pool area was spacious and a great treat.

A minor downside was the TV which had terrible reception. WIFI in common areas was good. The hotel was three blocks from the trolley and the doormen were quick and helpful getting cabs and giving directions. We paid $170 a night for a weekend and a late checkout was cheerfully given without charge.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and giving us your feedback. Our staff truely makes this a great hotel and I will be sure to pass on your comments. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the television. Our service provider was contacted so that the issue was resolved quickly. Thank you again for staying with us and please visit again when you come to Portland.
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stay in Marriotts a lot and understand that city rooms are often smaller than "country" rooms but this room was clearly intended for one person. While the bed was king, the room was very small and the bathroom tiny. Also, the housekeeping was not great - a peanut on the floor the first day was still there when we checked out and teabags were not replaced. Small things but for almost $200 a night (senior rate) I expect more. Also, we are Gold members and the concierge lounge is the worst we have seen. No view at all and VERY small. At breakfast we had to wait for a table. The food selections were limited and it just wasn't a great experience.

Room Tip: Definitely get a water view. Only thing that makes this place worthwhile.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ellie B
Thank you for your comments about your stay. I have passed on your concerns about the housekeeping for your room and can assure you that the staff is embarrassed that they "missed the mark". Our chef is in the process of adding some items to our concierge lounge to create more variety - I'll make sure he gets this information. Thank you for staying with us and hope we have the opportunity to serve you in the future.
Irving, Texas
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is a beautiful property convenient located just steps from a riverfront walk with shops and restaurants. You are just minutes away from the Saturday Portland Farmer's market. The hotel is clean, comfortable and has excellent views. Service was first class.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jbltex
Thank you for the rave review of our hotel and staff. Great staff make for a great hotel experience. Come see us again soon!
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Had a nice stay at the Marrott, the beds were very comfy. Did not appreciate having to pay for the internet, but paid it anyway. Location is good, on the waterfront, however we chose to have a city view which was ok too. Morton's Steakhouse down the street was a plus!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family