“Clean and adequate but nothing fancy”

Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
Ranked #21 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Overall a typical Marriott. Nothing too fancy but everything was adequate and clean.
The staff stood out for their helpful and pleasant attitude.

The room was basic and the bed was comfortable.
No refrigerator in my room.

The river view was nice.

The fitness center had 5 treadmills, 3 ellipticals, and 2 bikes.
There were a few weight machines and exercise mats.
No towels were in the exercise room, it was very warm and there was nothing available to clean the machines before / after use.
Headsets were provided for the TVs built into the cardio machines which was nice.

I ate at the restaurant (Truss) for breakfast and had the buffet.
at $18 it was not too expensive, there was a reasonable selection of cereal (one healthy option) eggs, bacon, etc. as well as custom made eggs. Fruit, meats, bread and some pastries were also available.

The hotel is located across the street from the Portland waterfront park which appeared to offer some nice walking options and a view of the river.

All in all an adequate hotel that is clean and provides a comfortable bed to sleep on.

Room Tip: River view rooms offer a scenic overlook of the river.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed here recently during the 2012 Portland Feast (an epic 3 day food festival,which I also highly recommend). Living in Washington, I have stayed in Portland numerous times, and this was ranks in my top hotel experiences for the city. From the delicious free breakfast (instead of your typical pastry/cereal fare, they offer a full buffet with eggs, sausage, fruit and more) to the excellent service and clean/spacious room, I had a great experience overall. The only downside is the location, as the hotel is away from the downtown area and was somewhat hard to find due to nearby construction.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank martij87
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Most recently, my family stayed here the Saturday night before the Shamrock run. This is a rather large hotel with a busy front desk and valet area. Everything seemed to run smoothly, though and the staff was friendly even under pressure. The rooms have always been clean during our stays and some rooms have great river views. The pool is small, but great for kids. I've stayed twice when the hot tub was closed so I'm not sure if there's a problem with it or that it was a coincidence. A few runners were pretty disappointed.
The restaurant was staffed with super friendly waitresses. Ours was great, helping to make suggestions for the kids and supplying us with delicious juice, the apple is crazy good!
In my opinion, the staff here is better than the norm. We even had a billing issue that we noticed after our departure. We had to deal with the accounting dept. and our problem was resolved quickly and with sincere apologies.
Overall, this is a great place to stay. Nothing super fancy, but clean, convenient and comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank BridgetJ315
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Great place for my business days , crews so patient , polite, efficient
Great services , good meals, ideal position front of lake
Luggage service, car rent service and bar much appreciate , room service accurate

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank BadPisces
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I was here recently for a convention. The room was one of the smallest I have ever seen. I asked for a room near the pool and exercise room I recieved one that was within twenty feet.

The location was good. It is within walking distance to downtown and the river. Parking is expensive, but it is a downtown location.

I expected the typical institutional, convention food but it was surprisingly good. The service was excellent.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back on the lower floors get morning traffic noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The hotel's location is very good. The hotel itself is nice and clean. The rooms are smaller than I'm acustomed to at other Marriott properties. Valet parking is very expensive. I'd recommend the parking garage next door and self park. I gave this hotel a 3 because the spa and pool areas were closed and no advanced warning given to guests on the marriott website. Paid full price...deserved to have full access to all amenities. The first i heard of the closings was in letter form in my room when I arrived. not very classy. The bed was excellent as it usually is with Marriott.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank ExpectingtheBest77
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed here, expecting a luxury spot downtown, but I felt like I was at a chain hotel except for the service. The service was great, but you pay for it, $30 for parking.
the only thing that made this stay worth the extra cost was VIP lounge.

Room Tip: I had a room that was very small and the bathroon was tiny. This explains why there were no picture...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business