“Small rooms”

Ranked #23 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Boise, Idaho
“Small rooms”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I was here recently for a convention. The room was one of the smallest I have ever seen. I asked for a room near the pool and exercise room I recieved one that was within twenty feet.

The location was good. It is within walking distance to downtown and the river. Parking is expensive, but it is a downtown location.

I expected the typical institutional, convention food but it was surprisingly good. The service was excellent.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back on the lower floors get morning traffic noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Korean first
Miami
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The hotel's location is very good. The hotel itself is nice and clean. The rooms are smaller than I'm acustomed to at other Marriott properties. Valet parking is very expensive. I'd recommend the parking garage next door and self park. I gave this hotel a 3 because the spa and pool areas were closed and no advanced warning given to guests on the marriott website. Paid full price...deserved to have full access to all amenities. The first i heard of the closings was in letter form in my room when I arrived. not very classy. The bed was excellent as it usually is with Marriott.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ExpectingtheBest77
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed here, expecting a luxury spot downtown, but I felt like I was at a chain hotel except for the service. The service was great, but you pay for it, $30 for parking.
the only thing that made this stay worth the extra cost was VIP lounge.

Room Tip: I had a room that was very small and the bathroon was tiny. This explains why there were no picture...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank timo s
Walla Walla, Washington
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I’m not really sure why you pay more for less, but sometimes you do. The location of this hotel is terrific. Right downtown with a view of the river (if you want to pay $20 extra bucks) and walking distance to parks, the light rail/streetcar and many restaurants and theaters. So for the location this hotel is great.

But for 2 nights with parking and the view it cost about to $400 w/ tax. No breakfast is included, although you can add one for more money. Wi-Fi is $12.95. Parking is $32 a night for valet. You can stay at other hotels and get breakfast, Wi-Fi and cheaper or free parking for much less.

The service was outstanding though and the rooms are nice enough although not large and we only had 1 chair. We even had a Juliet balcony that we could squeeze onto. We also enjoyed the pool/hot tub both nights. The first night we were the only ones in there. The second night there was some moms and kids, but it wasn't too noisy for us as we sat in the hot tub. There is a large workout room as well.

Plus, we were just blocks away from the Streetcar which is a great way to get around Portland and with that and walking, we never had to drive our car until we were ready to leave.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, pick a river view room. It was fun to see the walkers/joggers in the morning...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank plaidbagel
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I had such a great experience here for a conference recently. The food was great, the rooms were great, and the staff was particularly helpful. My co-worker actually celebrated her birthday during our stay. Not only did they give me tape to assist in decorating her door but one special staff member (Jessie) also surprised her with a tray of goodies. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have been staying at this property 3 to 7 times a year for the last 5 years. It is in a good location for my needs. I walk from the Trimet and can walk to all of my clients offices. I really like Veritable Quandry, a restaurant just down the block. All of the rooms have a good view, are well furnished, and are well-priced for the area.
The star of the property is Terry, one of the bartenders in the lobby bar. Terry is personable, very attentive, and never lets anyone sit too long without a kind word, fresh drink or item off of the menu.
The only complaint [overstatement] I have is: before the remodel there was a casual, meeting place/sports bar. Terry used to work in this space and it was a much better place for the business traveler to go in this world of hostile travel to relax and get away for a short time from the pressures of the day.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor on the river side.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank J I
Grants Pass, Oregon
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

We had tickets for a production at Keller. This hotel is within two blocks of that venue. It is also within six blocks of Higgins where we enjoyed an exceptionally nice dinner. As far as the Marriott is concerned, the hotel is rather old but has been updated and is clean and comfortable. The bathroom is very small but all facilities worked well. The bed was comfortable and we had a good nights sleep.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple