“Good location; wonderful staff”

Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
Ranked #20 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed May 8, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed at the Marriott Downtown Waterfront. I was there for five days; four nights during my May 2012 visit. I love the staff at this place. They are a welcoming and pleasant bunch of employees -- from the front desk staff and valet to the cleaning staff and gift shop associates. The downtown location across the street from the river is a good home base for business and touring. The waterfront view is definitely more pleasant than the street/parking lot/downtown views. And if you are there during clear weather, it's spectacular to look out a waterfront window and see Mt. Hood in the horizon. I found the bathrooms, like other reviewers, to be small. I did not like the inches-wide balcony, and note: if you have children there is a sign on the sliding glass balcony door reminding you to not leave children unattended. This would have been nerve wracking for me, to be honest, to have this feature in a room with a young child, so much so that I would have opted out of a balcony room. That said, traveling with no children, I did like the option to open the door to let in the breeze. The room was reasonably clean, and the cleaning staff was notably friendly and polite. That said, there was some very mild wear in the room and some notable dust on things like lamp bases. The linens were soft and my bed was comfortabable. I did not use room service, so I can't comment on that. The hotel bar staff is as friendly as the rest of the staff. Beware though, prices are high - $10 for a margarita. I had a hard time finding solid recommendations from staff on nearby local restaurants. I used the web for the most part to guide me. There is a generous amoung of lobby seating to enjoy an evening drink and conversation with co-workers or friends. There also are two lobby computers with available web access - a bit crowded line at times. I was very frustrated by the lack of an in-room safe. They have a front desk safe that fits lap tops and other electronics, but the daily trek to a central safe is annoying and not typical of most hotels in this price range. In sum: Above average staff and a great central location. Needs a few added ammenity touches, however, to raise it to the next level.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,571)

Reviewed May 8, 2012

would I ever stay at this hotel again. The location is absolutely terrible considering the rate they request for a 1 bedroom king. The rooms are outdated, fixtures are over a decade old. Air conditioner did not work at all. Rooms have virtually no sound barrier, and portions of the carpet and walls we're matted in some unknown substance that resembled dried blood. I ended up paying $300 US for a glorified closet, on a sunday, at the beginning of may. For this rate, you can rent a suite at the Nines, and I strongly recommend you do so.

In our technology driven society, I have serious apprehension when free internet is not offered to clients paying such a high rate for a hotel. Network access cost 12.95 for 24 hours for less than .4mbs on a speed test. It was nearly impossible to do any work during my short stay, and opening e-mail attachements was painful at the very least. To add insult to injury, I discovered after some research that had I stayed at mariott's residence inn across the bridge, it would've been free and my room rate would've been much cheaper. That being said, the problem is more with the chain than the hotel. Perhaps a chain who's advertising caters to traveling executives as it's primary demographic would reconsider this decision.

Front desk was cold, unhelpful and very impolite. When checking in, I was interrupted when I approached front desk so the two muppets behind the desk could finish their conversations about work habits of one of their colleagues. It was sad to see these 2 we're representing the core values of customer service for such a recognized brand in hotel services. The agent that ended up booking my room was very dismissive, which I could only assume was based on my appearance or my age. If this review somehow finds it's way in to his hands, I'm sorry I wore jeans and t-shirt when I decided to drive 9 hours straight to your hotel. I understand now that a suit and tie would've been more appropriate. He also had no guidance on restaurants in the area, and I'm not sure if this was due to lack of knowledge or general apathy to the unfortunate situation of dealing with me.

I don't have time to go on about the valet parking service, or any of the several other issues I had with this hotel.

The only reason I gave this review 2\5 was the bell boy who brought our bags up. He was the only saving grace for this terrible experience, and I regret that I didn't take down his name.

To anyone reading this review, I apologize for sentence structure, spelling errors, etc. I'm typing this as fast as I can so I no longer have to waste my precious time with this. Given the previous reviews of this hotel, my experience may have been a one-off, but it occurred nonetheless. I was so appalled at the way I was treated and my arrangements that if a Mariott hotel is brought up to our executive council as a possibility for our annual convention, I will make sure that it does not happen.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Zer012
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel off & on for years due to it's location and my affinity for Marriott properties. This trip was average in every sense of the word. The check-in experience took 15 - 20 minutes even though I am a gold member. After I got checked in and to my room my key did not work, another 15 minutes wasted. Property is a basic Marriott, nothing special at all, but again the location is pretty good. The truth of the matter is that the Courtyard a couple blocks away is a better property.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Joe B
Reviewed May 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed here recently for the army couples retreat at this hotel. It is a nice hotel, even nicer than I expected, with pretty nice rooms and a friendly staff. Everything you need is in the room, beds are good, it is clean and bathroom is very nice and tidy. It is on a great location, everything is handy, the downtown area and around rest of the city. My husband is actually from Portland so we know our ways around town and we always have a great time when we come visit the family. Anyway, I would definetely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed here for a party being held in Eugene Room of hotel. We had a room with a balcony facing the waterfront. It was a great location close to restaurants and omsi. Beds were very soft with lots of pillows. Staff was wonderful and gave great advise to good restaurants around area. Will definitely stay here next time in Portland

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Good location near the riverfront and within walking distance to downtown. Small bathrooms; some rooms small. In both rooms I stayed in, there was noticeable traffic noise until after 1 am. Also, we should start boycotting hotels that charge fees for internet access; if McDonalds can offer it for free, why not Marriott?

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank newuser89
Reviewed April 16, 2012

The downtown Portland waterfront Marriot is a great choice. I was in town for a girls weekend. I had debated for weeks about what hotel to choose and finally chose this hotel for a few reasons:
1) Location near Keller Auditorium
2) valet included with room cost (downtown parking is spendy!)
3) reviews from other travelers.

I was very pleased the hotel as a whole. The last time I was in Portland I stayed at The Nines and it was hard not to compare it to that hotel.

Here's a summary of my stay
Staff - 5 Stars + They went above and beyond helping my friend when she needed saline solution for her contacts at midnight calling stores for us to make sure they were open. Also, we accidentally left a few items in our room when we departed and the hotel was very nice about shipping them back to us.

Room Size - 3 stars. Small, almost cramped with two full sized beds. Functional, however, and very clean and organized.

Beds - 4 stars. Very comfortable, nice linens. Wish they were queen sized instead of full.

Bathroom - 3 star. Cramped, but well appointed.

Deck - 1 star - I hate it when hotels have decks that are less than 1' in width.

Amenities - 4 stars - Pool, hot tub, gym were all very nice. business center was helpful when we needed to print a couple of items. No free wifi is annoying, but not unexpected

Valet - 5 stars - Fast, friendly and treated my large SUV well.

Nearness to downtown attractions - 3.5 stars. It was a pretty long hike to the Saturday Market, but a beautiful one along the river. It was pretty close to a street car line and we took full advantage of that.

Hotel restaurant and bar - 4 stars. The hotel bar had delicious apps (the Bacon Bacon Bacon app should not be missed!). Had brunch at the hotel restaurant - good quality, friendly staff.

Room Tip: Worth it to get a river view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends