“Dis-gust-ing. Worst hotel experience EVER!”

Red Lion Hotel Portland Airport
Ranked #76 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Vancouver, WA
“Dis-gust-ing. Worst hotel experience EVER!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2010

I very regrettably purchased a room for three nights at this hotel through Hotwire. It's categorized on Hotwire as a "Cascade Station Entrance Hotel". This is NOT a Cascade Station hotel. Was very disappointed, to say the least, when I found out my 3 star Cascade Station hotel was the Red Lion. This is also NOT a 3 star hotel as I see it classified on every travel website at which I've looked. It's a 2 star AT BEST. Let's see. Where to start.
I guess I'll first go over the cons:
*Awful location. Difficult to get in and out, not close to anything and no public transit access.
*I had to walk around open trash cans overflowing with trash bags to get to the entrance to my building.
*No locks on doors leading into the buildings! The doors have locks for key card access, but they don't work. The staff person standing outside my building having a smoke break informed me that "you don't need a key. Just open the door". Lovely. My favorite discovery was a door that didn't have a handle, much less a lock! Just a huge, gaping hole where a door handle once lived, once upon a time.
*The carpet in the hallways is filthy and is very obviously never, ever vacuumed.
*The room itself was depressing. Very, very dark. It had an offensive smell, which I can't really describe. I guess you could say it smelled like a lot of nasty chemicals trying to cover up something even nastier. They have recently "remodeled", but everything still feels old and dirty. I brought along some disinfectant wipes to clean the surfaces (I had a feeling I'd need to do a lot of disinfecting at this hotel) and I'm almost sorry that I did. I was appalled at the amount of dirt and gunk that I cleaned from the desk, the nightstand, and bathroom counter.
*The bedding is dreadful and the pillows and mattresses are uncomfortable and unforgiving. Not exactly the "plush, pillowtop 'Stay Comfortable' bed" boldly advertised on the Red Lion website.
*In the light of day of the next morning, I made the mistake of pulling out the nightstand to plug in my laptop. Yikes. I'll do my fellow travelers the courtesy of not going into a description of my findings.
*The very last straw was when I decided to get some fresh air and found a broken lock on my ground floor room window.
Pros:
*It has HBO.
I've stayed at a lot of hotels in and around the Portland area, and this is BY FAR the worst. If you Priceline or Hotwire as often as I do, then you are taking a huge risk when bidding on a "3 star" hotel. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to a friend OR my worst enemy. Stay away.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Hughes15700

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Coral Gables, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2010

The rooms have been recently remodeled and are very nice if on the small side. The bed was incredibly comfortable. Rooms were reasonably clean. Unlike many hotels, more money seems to have been spend on re-decorating the rooms than the lobby, which is relatively humble. That is a good thing. How many times have I been to a hotel that lavished money on creating a magnificent first impression on the guest only to arrive at my room to find it a dump? Too many times. This hotel has it right and has put the money into where its guest spend their time: the guest rooms. Good job, Red Lion. And evidently it is appreciated as the hotel seemed packed when we were there.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2009

Came hungry, direct from the airport after 5.5 hour flight, to discover the restaurant had closed 20 minutes before closing time. Had to buy some overpriced snacks from the freezer off the lobby. Got up an hour early to have breakfast before leaving for the airport only to find the restaurant still closed an hour after opening time because their waitress (singular) hadn't showed up. There are no elevators in this multi-story hotel and a sign posted in the lobby says the hotel is not really a Red Lion Hotel, just operating under a "License" from Red Lion. This is Definitely NOT a 3-Star Hotel!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Portland hotels

portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

this hotel is very affordable and comes with microwave and refrigerator in every room, really close to airport, but can;t hear the aircraft when coming or going. would reconmend this hotel if you need to stay near pdx.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
spokane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

The room was clean and the staff polite. We took the free shuttle to the airport where we caught the train to downtown Portland. We didn't hear the planes, even though we were very close to the airport. This is much cheaper than staying downtown or paying to park downtown.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

This hotel often comes up using Priceline for about $50. I think that is a pretty good deal since it includes a free airport shuttle. The rooms are clean if a little dated. The staff is friendly.

Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2009

The staff was very friendly and helpful, rooms were clean and well furnished. Comfortable beds. The best amenity this hotel offers is the complimentary shuttle. Not only will it pick you up at the airport, but pick you up and drop you off at the rail system 24hrs a day. Portland's public transportation is very safe, cheap and efficient. This saved us a ton of money getting around. The hotel is a bit dated and the restaurant is a bit sketchy, but overall, I am glad I stayed at this hotel.

Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends