“OK but a little tired” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #75 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Durango Colorado
“OK but a little tired”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2009

A tired hotel trying hard to be good. The room was small but clean and the bed was very comfortable. A coffee stain on the wall was behind the door and so probably overlooked by housekeeping. As a solo woman traveler I was a little concerned that the breezeways between buildings were accessible without any security, but it wasn't a high crime area so I was able to live with that. Good airport shuttle service, which also facilitates access to downtown via the light rail station at the airport. The hotel is probably rated a half star too high, but all in all ok.

• Liked — Shuttle Service to Airport and Light Rail
  • Disliked — Small room, iffy security.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Chilkoot_Hiker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
The Villages, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2009

We needed an inexpensive hotel to hang our hats during a trip to Oregon. Found a great rate on Orbitz and booked the Red Lion. It's very close to the airport and all the rooms have been totally renovated. Very comfortable beds and pillows. Above average toiletries ( bath & body works)... rooms were tidy and clean... Hallway does have a strong perfume smell but the rooms are fine. more than we expected with microwave, fridge and cofee maker and Tazo tea. nice touches.
The Cafe is a hoot. Fabulous, basic food with a wonderful wait staff who go way beyond the norm. We returned each day for breakfast and just left there tonight having a light dinner... Robin, Kristi and Erin (from the lounge) are young ladies who work very hard to insure all needs are met with a smile and laughter.
Delightful experience.. I've read some of the other reviews and I would add that you usually get what you pay for. If you wanted a 5 star experience, then pay for it... but for a budget trip, they have what it takes to please us.
Well done, staff....

• Liked — Comfortable beds and great staff
  • Disliked — the perfume smell in the hallways...
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Medina, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2008

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel on a night before an early flight out of PDX. The hotel is difficult to access, as it is located on a service road that is only easily accessible if you are headed southbound. Further, the hotel is broken up into smaller buildings. However, it appeared clean and well kept.

The lobby was clean and sharp, and check in was smooth. We were located in a room close to the front. The room appeared new; however, there was a rather large coffee stain on the wall near the front door. The rest of the room was very clean and comfortable. Further, the bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever used, with many, many pillows of varying firmness.

In the morning, the shuttle was great, as it dropped us right at the airport.

I would love to use this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2008
North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2008

Used Hotwire.com for a total of $69 per night. I would say okay for that price. Room was very clean, but I think had previously been a Smoking room, as my husband and I both agreed upon.

Room very small, but excellent mattress. Bathroom had been newly renovated and the toiletries were Bath & Body Works! The only drawback in the bath was the shower head! I am 5'6" and I was taller than the shower head! Also, there was no 'ledge' on the shower wall to place the soap, so you had to either hold it the entire time or risk falling as you bent to pick it up from the tub ledge.....there was no bath mat or "rough surface" in the tub.....very slippery!

As is the trend now, our king bed had six pillows at an angle across it. All 6 pillow cases seemed to be dingy and wrinkled and I picked one up and there was make-up foundation on it. On another pillow there was smeared mascara! I called for 6 CLEAN pillow cases and a grumpy lady brought them and said, "These are NEW."

There was also a parking issue the staff didn't seem to care about. Apparently the hotel's parking space lines were being repainted and half of the parking spaces were blocked off!!!!!! Not to mention they use some of their parking for long term parking for the airport!!! We were so frustrated that we turned in our car that night and took the shuttle back to the hotel. When an employee says, "Just find a parking place anywhere you can.....if you can", that is not professional or helpful!

There are two eating establishments adjoining this hotel, but we elected to drive to a Shari's on Airport Way. Much cheaper!

It was just okay. I don't know if I would ever stay there again if I had the choice, which you don't with Hotwire. This is NOT a 3 star hotel, in my opinion. Maybe a 2 1/2 or 2.

Also, not the easiest hotel to gain access to. It seems NE 82nd Av. "splits" and be wary!

• Liked — Closeness to PDX
  • Disliked — Dirty pillowcases and shower
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luvsf

Travelers are raving about these Portland hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2008

This was a great find--we needed a hotel for only one night, since we had a very early flight from PDX the next day. We got an excellent rate from Priceline (under $50), and the Red Lion was clean, quiet, and about two minutes from our rental car return at the airport.

Check in was quick and pleasant, and there was plenty of parking even though we arrived later in the day. We got a room with two queen beds, non-smoking. (I think the whole place is smoke-free, but there was a strong perfume-y smell in the hallways--but fortunately not in our room).

Space was a little cramped--the closet is quite small, and there wasn't a lot of extra floor space, so if you're traveling with kids or lots of stuff, it may be a little crowded.

Our room was on the second floor in a part of the hotel closest to the actual airport. We could hear muffled airplane noise occasionally, but certainly nothing that interrupted our sleep. (We kept the fan on low, and that provided "white noise.")

Given the price we paid and the utilitarian look of the buildings, I expected lower quality furnishings, linens, and toiletries, but we were pleasantly surprised.

The armoire contained both a microwave and a small fridge, which could be good for a longer stay. There was also a coffee maker in the room, with a couple Tazo tea bags as well.

The one odd thing I did notice is this: the showerhead was unusually low. I'm not tall, but I had to crouch a little to wash my hair.

Overall, we found it was a great bargain, and I'd stay there again.

• Liked — Very convenient for early flight from PDX
  • Disliked — Showerhead was "vertically challenged"
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Arlington, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2008

Don't be afraid of this older hotel. Rooms are remodeled, and Beds very comfortable with triple sheets, thank you, thank you!! Good pillows and Mattress makes for a good 1 night stay coming to or from PDX.

Free airport shuttle. Restaurant is under-staffed, over-priced. Not much security for any buildings, so I made sure to double lock the doors.

Overall good stay.

Stayed July 2008
Death Valley National Park, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2008

We stayed here one night in three different rooms.

Front desk did not read our reservation correctly, since we requested an upper floor. When we reminded her, she put us in the infamous room #208, right next to housekeeping and the ice machine. We went inside the room and found broken furniture, so we asked for another room. Second room, grease and food and a missing smoke detector. Third room, hair and something I still am trying to decipher on the tile in the shower/tub. We found the later so late in the evening, that I ended up cleaning out the tub myself so I could take a bath.

Front desk was rude throughout all our discussions with them. How dare we ask for a nice room????? Or a clean room???? At one point the clerk insisted that I was a liar and started marching up the stairs to prove me wrong. Fortunately, her supervisor reigned her in. But no apology, and we still had a room that was substandard.

Poor sanitation, poor customer service, poor maintenance. This property is struggling and it shows.

We tried the restaurant and lounge. Dirty and disappointing. No other foodie options close by. The waitress spilled drinks on us. I left here wondering who did I P*** off in the universe to be treated so badly? But it's just the place. They don't care.

• Liked — nothing really
  • Disliked — maintenance, housekeeping, front desk, dining options
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business