“Exceeded Expectations”

Ranked #74 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Michigan
“Exceeded Expectations”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Didn't really have a great impression of Red Lion before, but got the hotel through Priceline and just needed a clean and safe place to stay after a late night arrival. Was pleasantly surprised. Check in was friendly and fast. The room was completely adequate and with recent upgrades to the bathroom and furniture. Quiet, clean and safe. A sport bar next door was open until midnight which was great so no need to find a place, and you simply couldn't be more convenient to the airport. Hotel is completely non smoking, and does not have elevators fyi (only two story though).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank travlinfamilyof6

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Salem
Reviewed April 12, 2013

After reading all the reviews, I was afraid to stay here. But, with a deal of $139 for a night and 30 days of free parking, it was a steal. I was greeted by a lovely young woman working the evening shift and she had me checked in in nothing flat. Knowing I couldn't get my huge bag up to the second floor, she put me in a downstairs room where they only have double queen bed rooms. That was fine with me! The room was very clean and had a microwave, frig, and a coffee maker. The wakeup call and shuttle were right on time. I will happily stay here again

2 Thank JoaniH_13
Curlew, WA
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Supportive of weary travelers - a great bargain. Will stay here again when we news a pdx hotel - half the price of the embassy suites and totally clean and pleasant, and the rooms were nicely sized with wonderful showers to wake you up for early morning flights.

1 Thank Christycanhelp
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have stayed in many Red Lions and this one is by far in the worst condition. The exteriors should have tipped us off. While the shuttle service to and from the airport was fine, the hotel itself reserved the wrong type of room, saying they had not king rooms with sleeper sofas. When I questioned further, yes, they did have that type of room but Expedia had entered a wrong code. I took an inferior type room and climbed up a flight of stairs with worn out carpet. A musty smell pervaded the hotel and room especially. All in all, a disappointing experience. I learned later this location was owned by corporate and was surprised since I love the Seattle Red Lion on Fifth Avenue which is also corporately owned.

Room Tip: There were several hotels with shuttle service. Try one of those instead.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to comment about your stay with us as your feedback is important when providing our guests excellent service. I apologize that the hotel was less than you expected ,we value you as a guest and we are always looking for ways to enhance our guest experience. We will be speaking with our front desk staff about your experience and do hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you better during your next visit.
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for the first time and would definitely stay here again. Once again we wanted to spend most of our money on shopping, dinning and attractions and a decent amount on a clean well kept hotel.

The Red Lion was a Priceline name your own price win. A steal at $43/night. It had everything we needed to be comfortable while we slept. Nice kings size raised bed, flat screen tv. Clean washroom and really wide hallways. This hotel is built campus style, meaning you got to go outside to the next building to get to the lobby. If you check out my other reviews I was not fond of thisin Bellingham. But this location did it right and I didn’t mind the campus style at all. The location was next to the airport. You could hear the planes flying by but you get used to it real quick. We actually enjoyed seeing the planes land and take off.

A five min drive towards the airport/hwy and they have a strip mall they are working on. Ihop, IKEA, Target, winners and best buy just to name a few. About 10mins the other way and your practically downtown. 10mins from downtown and your at the zoo, 25mins from downtown and your at the Woodburn outlets. We loved where we stayed. Didn’t have a single problem with the room. I forgot my bottle opener and the front stay was able to help with that, they also pointed out a few good places to eat which was help full. Fast free wifi connection.

Parking is free but breakfast isn’t. But we weren’t huge on breakfast anyways. One day the 3 of us ate at ihop for about $25 bucks and the next day about $6 covers your breakfast at IKEA.

Great location, great hotel, would stay here again.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Why does this hotel always has something not working?

We reserved five nights in Red Lion Hotel Portland Airport from Oct.19-24, 2012.

We found two problems in the first room Rm 160 we stayed for first night. First problem, the shower handle did not work, only cold water come out, so we did not take shower, and I could not even turn it off...think about it when you get naked and ready for shower, but it turned out only cold water come out.

Second, the outside window was broke somewhere, because it made big noise whenever somebody drove by or a plane took off.

As for customer service issue, this is the story. I went to the front desk to report the problems in the morning of Oct.20th. The front desk girl did not apologize at all, and she was reluctant to switch a room for us. So my wife went to the front desk with me, and we asked to talk with the manager on duty. The front desk girl said there was no manager on duty during weekends. I don't know if she was lying, you know it.

The front desk girl made me upset. She felt my mood and agreed to switch a room for us. However, she asked me show ID, and looked at my passport ridiculously, checked it by seeing it from different light angles...Am I an illegal immigrant? Is she a immigration police??? It is humiliating experience. Please contact me for further discussion for this thing.

We were moved to the second room. Soon we find three problems. First, the fridge does not work. Second, there is a big hole on the base of table lamp, where supposed to be a power socket. Third, the window cannot be positioned, always fall down.

I called the front desk, no one picked up the phone.

Room Tip: the only tip is not to choose it
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay with us. We do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We strive to provide all our guests with the high quality of service that we maintain throughout all of our hotels and do apologize for any unprofessionalism that may have been shown to you as well.
Please be assured that these issues will be addressed accordingly with our staff. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to better serve you on your next visit.
Kind Regards
Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Yes, it's close to PDX. Yes, it's a Red Lion, which usually aren't all that bad. And yes, it's affordable (beats nearby competitors by at least $20/night).

But don't do it!!!

This airport Red Lion is a dump. Layout is WEIRD -- sort of like one of those super-cheap exterior-entry type motels (e.g. Red Roof Inn), but somehow they've enclosed everything for an added layer of security. Yet, the place is so sketch that the keycard-entry required to access the hallways still doesn't make you feel comfortable... not that I felt unsafe here... it's just such a grimy little hotel.

Furniture is nice, but carpets are soiled, doorways are dinged/dirty, and the ceiling above shower has mold and mildew festering on it. Parking lot is not well maintained -- fallen tree leaves/branches are not cleaned up, asphalt is cracked in many spots. Lots of parties going on at this hotel -- smells of weed on a weeknight!

Definitely NOT family-friendly. It'll get the job done if you just need a place to crash near the airport for a night... but anything more than that, and I'd recommend steering clear of this place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stargirlssc
Please accept my sincerest apologies on behalf of our hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your experiences at our property. We take your concerns seriously and the fact that you did not feel that our hotel was family friendly, is disappointing.
Your feedback is appreciated and we will make note of this situation to discuss with our team. Thank you for being a valued guest and we look forward to serving you in the future.