“Perfect for airport overnight stop”

Red Lion Hotel Portland Airport
Ranked #77 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I needed a place to sleep for a long 10hr layover and Red Lion was perfect. It was not fancy, but was a good size clean room with a comfortable bed and the staff was friendly. Was close to airport and frequent shuttles. For the great price I could not have asked for anything more,

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed January 29, 2012

Red Lion now operates hotels under franchise agreements ( similar to best western, I guess), and this is a franchised operation.
It is near the airport and has free airport shuttle, and extended parking. That is why we picked it (off the red lion website).
There is a restaurant next door, free wifi that was very fast, and the people were very nice. But, it was not as nice a facility as the larger Red Lions in Portland, or in other towns we have stayed - - Spokane, Seattle etc.
The value was very good. The bed was comfortable, but the atmosphere was just sort of average. And average ain't bad.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I stayed here for two nights this week while visiting Portland for a job interview. I Priceline bid on it, for $40 a night, and successfully got the bid. While I can't complain about the price I paid, I have to say this hotel was a pretty big disappointing, especially for its three star rating given by Priceline.
First off, they put me in a handicap room - which was fine, except for the fact that the shower was a little unusual. I didn't mind that, until I saw that the shower was actually pretty dirty, with mold growing on the shower curtain and walls, particularly in the grout between the tub/shower wall. Additionally, the showerhead didn't really work. I asked to be switched rooms my second night here, and they put me in another handicap room with a walk in shower (no tub) and similarly broken showerhead. My top comforters were also dirty in both rooms (food on them,) but I just kinda tossed em on the floor and didn't use them since everything else seemed fine.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay here - for what I paid, I got a decent hotel room. They have free wi-fi, which is awesome, and the staff was really friendly and super helpful. There's free (fresh) coffee in the lobby in the morning, and a free shuttle bus that can take you back and forth from the airport. I stayed on the first floor, very close to the lobby, and I barely heard anything.

You'll occasionally hear an airplane coming in or taking off, but its not too loud at all, and I slept like a rock both nights.

Room Tip: Check your room for cleanliness, and you'll have a great stay.
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Before booking the hote,l I had read that the noise from the landing air planes would not let you sleep or would wake you up. But that was not the case, yes you can hear them but its not loud enough to wake you up. Besides that it was a very clean hotel, the shuttle service was great.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2012

The hotel was a very good value for the money. It is a little off the main roads, and at least in the dark, I was wondering if it was a great idea to stay there. It is in an industrial area, and it sits next door to a big Salvation Army center and an off-site parking facility. The outside looked like it was pretty old. Definitely not up to my normal experience with Red Lion hotels. Once I got to my room, however, I was very pleasantly surprised. It had been recently remodeled, and was much nicer than I normally expect at hotels at this price point. It had very nice furnishings, newly remodeled bathroom with above average details, and a nice, big TV.

Reviewed January 21, 2012

How can a 3star hotel have such uncomfortable bed linens? Five years ago I complained twice, in writing, about sheets that come loose. Last year I complained about the poor mattress covers: they aren't anchored at corners and are the cheapest thin pad that proceeds to bunch up at night. When my Priceline bid provided us, again, with this hotel I determined to arrive early and ask for a different mattress pad. The manager kindly listened, got the head maid to help set me up, and she went with me to the room. I pulled back the covers to display the Cheap Mattress Pad but to our surprize found something Even Cheaper--NOTHING! NO mattress pad at all! The head maid promised to fix the bed and we found a cheap pad OVER a blanket on return, which worked well enough.

Room Tip: Look at the mattress pad when you first check in and ask for a blanket to be put under the bottom sh...
Reviewed January 20, 2012

i stayed at the Red Lion because of the low price i got it for and in spite of the so-so reviews it got. The location is quite off the beaten path...in an industrial area close to the airport...so i would recommend having a car when staying here and exploring the city. i didn't notice any public transportation; if there was a bus that came around, i never saw it and i didn't see any bus stops either (but that might be because i wan't looking for one).

the hotel itself was as expected for it's star rating so no surprises there. the lobby and front desk were clean. a business centre with a computer for guest use was right beside the front door which is handy, but it was always being used whenever i stopped by.

to get to my room, i had to drive around towards the back of the property (as there were separate buildings). i had to climb external stairs and then down a long long hallway. i liken it to a motel but the hallway was covered, instead of exposed to the elements. this was the first instance where i was unsure of the place...however, that feeling didn't last long.

the room amenities is what surprised me. it was very well appointed. very clean and almost posh looking...definitely not what i was expecting from the looks of the outside. i was quite happy with the bed and bathroom.

i would definitely stay here again because it was so cheap and the room was really nice.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo