“Handy and efficient”

Red Lion Hotel Portland Airport
Ranked #77 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed October 13, 2011

This hotel was assigned to me when I "named a price". It was listed as a three-star and I would agree. Staff were friendly, professional, and helpful. Airport limo was ready when we were. Overall very satisfied.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed September 25, 2011

Room was prepaid with a very good rate Check In clerk insisted on Putting a $15 hold on my credit card for incidentals. Told me it would be released if unused when I checked out. Still there against my card a week after checkout. Now I've got to make a call about it. Not convenient.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I stayed for just one night for business. The hotel is close to the airport and offers a shuttle. That's about all the good things to say about the hotel. This is surely better than sleeping in the back of the cab of your truck, but given the cost and other options available, you can do much better.

During check in the staff repeated more than once that all belongs should be remove from your car, that can't be a good sign about the neighborhood. The hotel looks like a low rent apartment complex (maybe it once was?). The facilities and appintments of the room are old and need of updating. Wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: No elevators, so ask for a lower level room if you have much luggage.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
jatpat, Public Relations Manager at Red Lion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post a review to provide us with your feed back. Our hotel is an older property built in 1970 as one of the original hotels that accommodated airport travelers. Over the years the hotel has gone many renovations with the last one being in 2008 when we went through a 2.5 million renovation and replaced almost everything. Despite being an older hotel our customers choose us because of our overall value. Our hotel is clean, well maintained, very close to the airport with 24 shuttle service and have a restaurant and lounge on the property; all of this for about 50% less then what you would pay down the street at the new high rise hotels.

Reviewed September 18, 2011

I stayed here the night before departing on a business drip. I had an early flight and we got a good rate on Priceline.com ($58 w/ taxes). It looks kind of sketchy from the outside and I was worried about staying by myself. The person working the front desk when I checked in (8pm) was nice, but the woman who called me in the morning to remind me of the airport shuttle was very short and rude. Not sure I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2011

The red lion airport inn appears to be in the final stages of an overall renovation. The exterior is being painted. However this has no affect on the guests.

The hotel has a check in time of 3pm but we were allowed to check in at 2pm. However, as it is an airport hotel, I would of expected no check in time. This hotel obviously caters to locals more than transient or stop over travelers.

Our room was clean and was well prepared for us. Being a hot day when we checked in, the air conditioning was already on when we entered the room. A nice touch.

The bathroom is very small. It is just the length on a bath tub. A desk is available and while the tv wasn't LCD, it was sufficient. The mini-fridge wasn't very cold and made noise at night. If you are a light sleepy and if you are not using the fridge, I would suggest that you unplug it somehow.

The hotel must have many patrons flying out of portland airport as the parking lot is pretty full. The street that you enter front is just one-way. So you exit at the back onto a different street. Until you get oriented, it is difficult coming and going from the hotel.

Breakfast is available at the restaurant next door. Coffee and tea is available in the lobby in the morning. A pub is next to the restaurant. In addition there is a mall nearby with a Best Buy and an Ikea.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank valueseeker604
Reviewed August 27, 2011

We booked this room for a family vacation through Priceline. Though we got a great rate ($46), I felt it was barely worth it. We arrived at 2:48 pm and check in was at 3. We were told that there was no elevator, so I told the clerk we would need the bottom floor as my son is in a wheelchair. She said in a scolding tone, "Well then why didn't you request HC?" I assume she meant handicapped room. I said that I had booked the room on Priceline and didn't see that option.

She seemed quite irritated with us and told us to come back at 3. By now it was 2:50, so we left and drove around the parking lot. When we came back 10 minutes later, she was slinging her handbag over her shoulder and leaving and a different clerk was there. When we explained the situation to the second clerk she didn't seem to see what the problem had been. She was very nice but the first clerk had put a bad taste in our mouth.

The room was fine, but the beds were very uncomfortable. We all had back aches each morning. The second day the power was out for a couple of hours, not the hotel's fault, but it was a preplanned maintenance with the power company and the only notice we had was a sign on the lobby door. No one verbally warned us.

During the time the power was out, housekeeping abandoned their carts in the hallways and there were piles of dirty sheets wadded up all over the floors, in the halls and the entry ways. I noticed the next day dirty sheets lying all over as well. The second day they did not replace our shampoo even though it was empty.

The outdoor pool was very nice, perfect temperature and seemed clean.

The restaurant and bar were great, food was good and drink prices were reasonable.

Even at the rate of $46, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank cherimmhmm
Reviewed August 27, 2011

The good: The staff was really nice and really helpful. And, I got this room at a great price using "name your own price" on priceline. The location is really really convenient if you are arriving late at the airport and/or leaving early. There is a fitness center---small but functional.

The not-so-good: The room is a bit old-fashioned and didn't feel super clean. The TV remote didn't work. The neighborhood feels a bit dark and isolated---there's not much near by I'd walk to. There's a lively outdoor mall about a mile away if you have a car.

As a priceline bid, it wasn't bad, but I wouldn't pay full price to go back to this place.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business