“We were very Disappointed”

Ramada Portland Airport
Ranked #114 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed February 14, 2010

We had planed on leaving our parked vehicle and shuttling to the airport. Upon arrival the Manager was unfriendly and unaccommodating. She told us that the park and fly service was only for non-mileage award customers. At the last moment we had to make other arrangements to shuttle to the airport and pay a lot for parking. Rooms were very old, the faucet didn’t work well, bed was bad, the shower rod was falling off the wall and they did not send us the wake up call we needed to catch our flight (good thing we set our cell phone just in case).

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,812)

Reviewed January 27, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night off the back of a missed connection at PDX. American Airlines picked up the tab for the stay, so I don't know how much this hotel actually cost them. I'm assuming they have a rate somewhere in the $50-60 dollar range. I would not have picked this hotel myself, had I been given the choice, but it turned out to be adequate for a brief overnight stay.

When I had collected my bags, I called the hotel on the number printed on the AA voucher. A very helpful voice on the other end told me exactly where to go to wait for the shuttle and that I could expect it to arrive within 15 minutes. It did arrive, after less than 10 minutes. I'm glad they have a shuttle, becuase I'd never have found this place on my own.

Upon arrival, I found the lobby to be clean and well maintained, despite its obvious age. The front desk associate (who, it turned out, had been the one to answer my earlier phonecall) was very courteous and welcoming, and promptly gave me a room key, along with a map of how to get there (it's somewhat of a sprawling property). She also asked me if I'd like a wake-up call and what time I'd like to be back at the airport to catch my flight in the morning.

When I got to my room, I found it to be large and very cold. It also had that 'old hotel' smell which is just something that you can't do much about. Turning on the window HVAC unit, it took hours for the room to warm up. The room and bathroom were clean, but again, dated. There was a wet-bar and microwave in the room, neither of which I used. The bed was firm, but comfortable and the pillows were just fine. The TV was old and had your typical selection of hotel/motel channels, including HBO. The alarm clock was as old as the hills, but it functioned well.

My biggest complaint would have to be the bedding. Despite it being a reasonably comfortable bed, there just weren't enough blankets on it for a frigid Oregon winter night. There was a thin blanked and a top sheet, but nothing else. A search of the closet didn't reveal any extra bedding. I slept with my socks on for the first time since I was a child.

THe following morning, my wake-up call arrived as requested. There was no bedside phone in my room, which forced me to get up out of bed to take the call. At 4:30am, that's probably a good thing, as it lessens the chance of going back to sleep!

The shower pressure was fantastic and served to wake me up for a long day ahead. Heading to the lobby, I was offered coffee or juice, along with a USA Today, while I waited for the shuttle. I took advantage of the two PCs in the lobby to check my email, and then it was time to leave. A quick 5 minute ride back to PDX, and I was on my way.

Overall, this hotel was fine for the 6 hours I spent in it. I wouldn't like to stay there for more than 1 night, as your options for dining, etc., are limited, and the dated room might get to you after a while. But for my purposes on this night, it was just fine, and the friendly people that work there made a difference to my opinion of the place.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank fishface74
Reviewed December 29, 2009

We got decent prices on this hotel VERY near the airport. Quick check-in & out. Nice sized room. Nice thick bathtowels. Had microwave and coffeemaker.

No elevator, though... so if you have heavy luggage or hate stairs, ask for a 1st floor room.

PS The room was non-smoking and indeed it was, but the bathtowels reeked of smoke.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2009

We stayed at the Ramada as part of our Park & Fly package, the best value found after a deep search in the Portland area. This hotel is older, but very elegant. The room was clean and the front desk staff were extremely friendly, both at check in and check out. I loved all the beautiful live plants throughout the building inside & out; you could tell this once was a grand hotel, though it has aged. Our room, a king bed, had been remodeled with new bedding with a very comfortable bed. I have back pain and slept like a dream that night. It was somewhat difficult getting warm enough for a while though, as the bed had just a light blanket and here in the NW the dampness leaves you a bit chilly. Overall we were very pleased.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2009

Stayed here to sleep a night at the hotel before flying out of PDX and to get 8 days parking. The room was great for the price, the shuttle was timely, and the car was safe for the duration. That's pretty much what we aimed to get, so no complaints here. The front desk check-in went very smooth, the desk clerk was friendly, and the shuttle drivers insisted on grabbing the luggage for us and dropping us right at the car when we finished our trip.

i guess it would be nice if the Ramada offered a continental breakfast like almost all of the competition, but in truth, it wasn't really missed.

Overall, I'd like to thank Ramada's staff for being an enjoyable part of our trip.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2009

We stayed at the Ramada Inn the night before we went home. With their convenient shuttle service, we turned in our rental car early and saved some $$. I like their idea of being able to park your car here while you go on a trip from Portland, but it does make it hard to find a parking place. The room we stayed in was very nice with a fridge and a large bathroom. The soaps smelled so good...like SweeTarts. We saw a pool, but didn't have time to check it out. The two internet computers were bonus and we were able to print out our boarding passes before we went to the airport.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
ramadapdx, Assistant General Manager at Ramada Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2009

Thank you for your comments!
We are extremely pleased that you found our hotel to be exactly what you were looking for! We are very convenient to local and distant travelers searching for a deal. We appreciate your business and look forward to hosting you again in the future!

Reviewed August 26, 2009

This hotel was nicer than I expected. I simply booked the cheapest park and fly hotel with 17 days of parking ($5/day extra over 14 days) in Portland. My room had a fridge and microwave which was a nice bonus. The sheets were new and clean and very comfortable although the bed was a bit hard. The airport shuttle was on time in the morning, and free coffee is provided both in the lobby and in the room. Incidentally, I was able to pArk my car right in front of my room, although maybe I just got lucky! The long-term parking is everything that is not right against the building, but my spot was closer to the door than many hotels I have stayed at that were not park and fly. I even drove to the store (there is a Plaid Pantry not far away) and my spot was still there when I got back! The lady at the front desk was very nice and helpful as was the shuttle driver. All in all, a better experience than I expected.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo

Thank you for your comments!
It is very important to us, especially in these difficult economic times, that you receive quality, good service, and a great rate! We are greatly encouraged by your helpful review!