“Worst Hotel Experience In Years”

Ramada Portland Airport
Ranked #111 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Oregon
“Worst Hotel Experience In Years”
Reviewed June 25, 2008

This was the worst hotel experience my wife and I have had in years. We booked a king size delux room with pillow top mattress. The room was not nice at all. The carpet was matted and dirty and the window looked out into a 5-foot wide space between buildings that was being used for equipment storage. The door handle did not work properly and I had to shove my shoulder hard into the door just to get it open. Worst of all, when we pulled back the bed covers, the sheets were wrinkled and had food crumbs in them. It was absolutely disgusting. We requested another room and were downgraded to a room with two double beds. I left a note for the manager regarding these issues and requested compensation, at a minimum the difference between the room I paid for and the room I was downgraded to. It has been over a week and I have not received a call from the manager nor have I been credited any of my hotel expense. My past experiences at Ramada Inn's have been very positive so this was a big disappointment.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank CarolinaCoolPapa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Genesee, CO
Reviewed June 25, 2008

We paid $74 plus tax for a Monday night here. We had a 7:15 AM flight, so this was convenient.

ROOMS
We had a King room, overlooked parking lot. But was spacious and clean. Had a dresser, desk, table with couple chairs, large closet. TV with lots of cable channels. Good lighting in room.

Alarm clock, refrigerator and microwave, coffee maker.
Free wireless.

Bathroom was fair sized, shampoo, conditioner, soap and hair dryer. Sink with large counter area. Bath/shower combo ... bathtub was showing it's age a little bit, but the shower had a good shower head with good shower pressure. Although, in the morning at 5 am, it took a bit for the water to get hot, but it did after a couple minutes of running.

OTHER
There is restaurant/lounge in the hotel. (didn't try)
Outdoor pool looked nice in a little courtyard area, also an excercise area and hottub in an enclosed area off the pool.
Laundry facilities were off our hall.

Only complaint was that after checking in, we went out to dinner and arrived back at 9:30 PM, it was almost impossible to find parking because I guess they offer fly and park in their parking lot and the spots near the entrances that are marked for "hotel guests only" were all filled, so had to search for a parking spot.

• Stayed June 2008
2 Thank izzyblizzy
san francisco, ca
Reviewed June 19, 2008

Based on the reviews, I wasn't expecting much- all I wanted was a clean place near the airport for one night. We landed after midnight and was grateful to meet a friendly face at the desk who checked us in quickly. Our room looked out over the little courtyard, which is a lot better than the parking lot views I'm used to. The bathroom was a little worn out, but the bed was clean and the water hot, so I had everything I needed. The walls are thin, so every slam of every door reverberated through our room, but overall, I was happy with our stay.

• Liked — clean and close to airport
  • Disliked — noisy
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed January 13, 2008

I stayed at the Portland Airport Ramada for a night and left my vehicle for two weeks while I was on vacation. When I returned, theives had stolen the catalytic converter from my vehicle while it was in the hotel parking lot.

Because I had returned at night, all repair businesses were closed. I had to check in and spend another night then have my vehicle towed to a repair facility the next day.

The Ramada staff disavowed all responsibility. The repair and extra night's stay, plus towing was over $400.

I believe there is inadequate security at this hotel and that people who park here are jeopardizing their vehicle and risking significant inconvenience and expense.

• Disliked — Lack of security
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank degrinch
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed December 31, 2007

Based on previous postings, we weren't expecting much. Just a cheap hotel room and that's exactly what we got. We rented two different rooms and were immediately surprised - we stepped into the 70s. Fake teak furniture, old alarm clocks and of all things a long kitchen countertop with an archaic microwave. I thought they were doing renovations so I guess we were stuck in the last phase of the update. My biggest gripe was the old faucets, they pull up and can be a bit difficult to do so.

This hotel should have wireless Internet but on the day we stayed it didn't work. We even had to call their IT support desk to reset the IP address and still nothing. Due to its location, we were 20 minutes away from the Portland city center by car. It's not so bad as there's a major thoroughfare that goes right into the Pearl district (84 Avenue).

I couldn't find an elevator so this may not be handicapped-friendly. There's no continental breakfast it's in an industrial area so you will need to order in or drive to get some food.

Since it's near the airport you can hear the planes - very loudly!

And one final thing that may be taken for granted at other hotels, is the provision of local maps. It's extremely helpful to have before venturing off and we ended up going to a hotel we stayed at previously and got one for free.

• Liked — The cheap rate.
  • Disliked — Decor, location, lack of Internet and local maps
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
GRANTS PASS, Oregon
Reviewed October 17, 2007

This hotel is in the process of remodeling so PLEASE ignore some of the old reviews. The carpets in the rooms and halls have been changed to lovely brand new carpets. We had read some of the old reviews and almost didn't stay here because the reviews were so terrible. We decided to book a room here anyway ONLY because we had enough points for a free night (using their hotels trip rewards card) and it was in a convenient location. We were extremely happy with this hotel and I am so glad that we stayed here. The staff was very nice and helpful. This hotel offers a park and fly service and has a 24 hour shuttle to the airport. My only complaint was that it doesn't have a free continental breakfast because it has an on site restaurant. We would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — location and 24 hour shuttle.
  • Disliked — No free continental breakfast.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sctgrantspass
Ohio
Reviewed August 16, 2007

This is a hotel in bad need of repair. It smelled badly and there was an attempt to cover the smell with heavy perfume. The tub did not drain. Many rooms are on the second floor with no elevator! I could not believe this was a Ramada given the poor quality of the room and facilities. If you have a choice, I would choose another hotel.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends