“Econo price, extraordinary service and value!”

Econo Lodge at Port of Portland
Ranked #102 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Econo price, extraordinary service and value!”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My stay was short but sweet. I came to visit my uncle and stayed two nights in a king suite room. I would recommend this room as it is just the right size and includes a sitting area equipped with a couch and coffee table. The interior of the room was clean and very nice. The front desk staff noted that it was recently renovated. The best thing about the room was the bed! I stay in hotels frequently and the beds are very uncomfortable, either too hard or too soft but the bed here was perfect for me.

The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Cindy helped give me restaurant recommendations and maps. Mike was delightful to talk to and even helped print our boarding passes. The only downside was the weather but Oregonians seem to love it and I enjoyed my stay nonetheless. I will definitely return when in town!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ben U

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed here for a week during the second week of December and we couldn't have picked a better place from which to enjoy Portland. The service was great and the staff was always courteous and friendly. The room size was good and comfortable. The property was clean and the location was excellent; enough for us to be able to access most places that we wanted to via the light rail across the street. For food we walked down the street to Elmers to grab a bite to eat. They have excellent country food. One day we used the indoor spa and sauna in the lobby and just relaxed with the kids - the kids loved it! A few points that do not detract from a positive review - only one option for tea (black tea) for breakfast. Would not hesitate to stay here again!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2012

The staff was really nice and the hotel itself was fine--it's definitely older and no-frills, but everything was clean. There was wifi, but it wasn't very fast. If you just needed a place to sleep for one night before moving on, it would probably be fine. It's also super close to a MAX stop.

The bad: our room's heater smelled like urine when I turned it on, the bed was rock hard, and the walls/doors/floors were so thin that we could hear everything that went on. The main reason for my rating, however, is the clientele. I know the hotel can't really control that, but this place is cheap, so it attracts all sorts of weirdos. One night, there was some kind of a screaming fight (or something--I didn't dare go outside to see) in the parking lot that resulted in police showing up. I tried to avoid the lobby because there were often creepies hanging about, and I didn't feel like getting leered at. I didn't even want to go down for breakfast! If we hadn't booked the room for a full week, we would never have stayed. Honestly, I thought that a place with a 3.5-star Tripadvisor rating would be much better, but no luck. Not recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank 9ek9
EconoLodgePDX, Manager at Econo Lodge at Port of Portland, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear 9ek9,

I am delighted to know that our staff was friendly during your stay. I am sorry that you felt the wifi was slow. Since your review, we have switched to an increased level of internet service through Comcast and have had zero issues with connectivity. We are pleased with the outcome and have received positive feedback from this change.

I apologize that there was noise coming from another room. I must ask if you were able to contact the front desk regarding the noise which the front desk may have been unaware of? Our front desk staff is available 24 hours a day to immediately resolve guest needs. Our primary goal is guest satisfaction therefore notifying the front desk would allow us to contact the appropriate room, if necessary, to resolve the issue as soon as possible. We are glad to help in any way possible and often receive compliments on our excellent service.

I want to sincerely apologize for the behavior of other guests. We enforce a strict no visitor policy after 9pm and require all guests to register at the front desk. For security purposes, we monitor via camera and front desk staff because we take pride in providing guests a quiet, comfortable, & affordable stay. We are an economy hotel with newly renovated rooms and several advantageous amenities such as: an indoor spa and sauna, 100+ channels of cable television including HBO & ESPN, free continental breakfast, & onsite elevator.

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

Cindy
Brookline
Reviewed September 30, 2012

After several disastrous stays via airbnb, we wanted a clean, well-run and inexpensive place to stay near the airport. Bingo! This place served all our needs, even providing a hot tub & a pool, the usual breakfast and van service to the airport. The convenience allowed for a pleasant last vacation night and we were able to duck into town for a yummy meal at Higgins. Oh, and they under-price airbnb by a wide margin and you know exactly what you're getting upfront. Good lesson for us.

Room Tip: There are no "views" but the desk clerk can let you know the quieter rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JCBrookline
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed August 26, 2012

There are fancier and more costly places. For the price, this was great. Fast internet. Renovated rooms with brand new furniture. Meek breakfast but that is always true of this brand. Helpful staff when money was lost (we thought) in soda machine. We did not find it noisy or see any ants. Yes, when less costly you have a certain crowd. They were all fine, nothing stressful to us.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
EconoLodgePDX, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge at Port of Portland, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear KiowaVT,

Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. I am very happy that you enjoyed the Econolodge Port of Portland and we look forward to your next visit. Please let me know if I can personally be of service to you during your next stay. -Cindy
portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 8, 2012

The room was nice and clean , I had no problem with that. What I did have a problem with was my friend being charged 112 dollars for a 59 dollar room . The woman said they can charge whatever they want when all the rooms were almost rented. He wanted the room and he needed the room as he needed a shower to clean up. . She also made him leave his I.D at the front desk and when he checked out she made someone go up to the room and check it out before check out was complete. I have never seen anyone being treated in that manner . We got yelled at when we were going up the stairs . For that kind of money one shouldn't be treated like that. There isn't a swimming pool either.

I would never stay there again

Room Tip: Choose the hotel across the street , it's cheaper and has a pool.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear raccoonie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I do appreciate you recognizing our clean rooms, as we do take pride in comfort & customer service.

I apologize that your friend had a rate as such, however our room rates do vary based on season, occupancy, room type, & rate code and this is standard for most hotels. We do, however, strive to offer competitive rates via travel guide coupons, advanced stay purchases, & senior/AAA/military/corporate rates.

My sincere apologies if you were not informed of our debit card and/or cash paying customer policy. The policy is stated right on our choicehotels.com website on the front page in bold red for your review, however when a guest pays with a debit card or cash, there is a cash deposit required. The only reason we would ask for ID is to verify that we are returning the deposit to the registered, paying guest.

You mention loud voices in your review and I would like more details on who was involved in this whether it was a guest or a staff member, so I have sent you a private message and hope to hear back from you soon.

Unfortunately, our hotel property does not accommodate a swimming pool, however we do have an over sized 5000 gallon indoor heated spa and sauna for use 365 days a year.

Thank you again for your comments and have a wonderful day!
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Stayed here with my 3 small children in August 2012...woke up to ants EVERYWHERE! In our clothes, toiletries, walls, bathroom, counters! Took all day for them to get someone out there so I had to stay in my car with my kids all day!! Even after they sprayed I was told the ants would take days to die off. I was there on a voucher due to domestic abuse and I believe I was treated differently because of it. I was not given another room and they would not compensate me for the fact that I couldn't use my room! Was told to take it up with my case worker! REALLY??? If you truly don't have any other rooms, then I should be given compensation to stay somewhere else! Thanks for making an extremely difficult time unbearable!

Room Tip: I don't know...check for ants???
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Elisha C
Dear Elisha C,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Your comments are very surprising considering the precautionary measures we have in place to prevent such situations from ever occurring in the first place. Terminix has been our trusted pest control company for years and their sole objective is to treat the property monthly as a maintenance precaution.

I'd like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so I have sent you a private message.

I see that your room charges were covered by the Oregon Department of Human Services as a courtesy, therefore I have also contacted them as well.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.