“Not worth the money”

Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #103 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed February 17, 2008

This hotel was not worth over $100/night. I was visiting Portland to interview at OHSU and had called ahead to see how far this hotel was from OHSU - I was told "a few blocks" but that turned out to be a 15 minute drive. The staff tries to be friendly but they are not helpful - one lady told me to catch the city bus on the wrong side of the street, nearly sending me on a wild goose chased and making me miss my interview. Although it's convenient that the hotel is located just a block from a light rail stop, the whole room shakes mildly whenever a train goes by. Fortunately, this did not disturb my sleep but I would caution light sleepers. Also, the heated pool and breakfast room are not accessible from the hotel rooms so you'd have to walk outside to get to them. The shower is a stand-up shower only without a bath tub. There are lots of convenience stores/fast food places nearby. Overall, this hotel is sufficient for a one night stay but definitely not worth over $100/night. You definitely need a car unless you're sure your destination is close by.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank HollySTL

Reviewed December 15, 2007

I had booked a 5-night stay to attend a conference at the nearby Convention Center. The best thing about this hotel is the location, close to MAX trains, buses, etc. However, the facility is outdated, looking like it had not been updated since the 50s. When I checked in, the closet had a strange smell. They should have checked for these kinds of things before the guests arrive. The carpet may need to be shampooed. I walked around in white socks, and the soles turned grey.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank mathilda888
Reviewed December 2, 2007

We drove from out of state to attend a rock concert at the Portland Rose Quarter Arena Dec 1st, so we reserved a room at La Quinta. To be fair, let me first say that some of the problems we had are not really the fault of La Quinta.
THE GOOD:
convenient,3 blocks from Rose Quarter Arena,Convention Center, and Lloyd Center(a 2 story shopping mall)
Has Red Robin,Denny's,Burgerville & Subway restaurants across the street.Property is older, but maintained well.Rooms are very clean and appear to have been recently updated.Rooms have mini fridge,microwave,tv with cable channels,iron.The motel has an indoor pool.
THE NOT SO GOOD:
They gave us a room at the end of the building,by the street and next to a exterior stairs/entrance.The walls are paper thin-you could hear the conversation of the people in the room next door as if they were in your room.The windows appeared to be older single pane, so the traffic noise from the street was very loud.The entrance next to the room was a problem-the drunks across the hall from us decided to use the stairs as thier smoking area (and they apparently had to smoke often) so everytime they went in and out the door,the door banged so hard it shook our bed. This continued until past 3am -even had 2 times where they couldnt get the electronic key to open the exterior door to get back into the building, so they banged on the door to get attention of someone inside to open it for them.
The bathroom is very small. If you are taller than 5', you will need to bend down to get your head under the shower.
We returned from the concert at midnight,and only planned on staying one night, so we never bothered to ask to change rooms.
If you already have a room booked there, it should be ok- just make sure to ask for a room in the middle of the building.
I dont htink we would ever stay there again. There is a Marriott right down the street.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dacarr
Reviewed October 19, 2007

This was our first stay with La Quinta which was booked through the hotel website using AARP to get a great rate! The six night stay was the perfect choice for us while visiting attractions in Portland and the surrounding areas. Our accommodations were very clean and roomy and the no charge for covered parking was a plus. Its convenient location, a block from public transportation, made it ideal for visiting downtown. The helpful, friendly staff made our visit most enjoyable, and the free continental breakfast provided numerous healthy choices at the start of each day.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emag06117
Reviewed October 3, 2007

Was surprised to pull into this hotel and see its very dated exterior, unlike any other La Quinta I've stayed at, but then more surprised at the super friendly staff. The location is great and the price is low for the area. The room was also dated, but clean and fairly quiet. I'm big on quiet, so that boosts the rating for me. If you're tall, you won't like the shower head placement as it is about 5'8" high. Had a little problem getting some of the fitness machines to work right. Had to unplug and plug them in again to reboot.

All in all, I rated this hotel fairly well because it was clean, quiet, inexpensive, in a good location with friendly staff. But if appearances are important to you, you may be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed July 18, 2007

This place is convenient if you want an inexpensive room and don't have your own transportation. It's much cheaper than downtown hotels and is a block or two from the MAX and busline. Plus, there are several restaurants and coffee shops within walking distance. This place also has a 24/7 indoor pool and laundry room - Very convenient!

The service was impeccable! Someone even checked in on me after I checked in to make sure I was getting settled in and offered me a variety of amentities.

However, the staff and service can not make-up for the paper-thin walls in the building. True story: I could hear someone barfing in the room above mine!

Quick tip #1: If you have your own transportation (like I did), I recommend heading east of Portland. I did and found a room at an "Express" hotel for the same cost, but with better facilities and amentities.

Quick tip #2: If you do stay here, request a 2nd floor room and bring your ear plugs!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank TravelWisely79
Reviewed April 30, 2007

This hotel has a great location. It's very close to MAX light rail and has a bus that goes directly to Union Station. Several restaurants are just across the street. And we really enjoy the friendly service! Although the hotel apperance is old, the rooms are very clean. Our group all agree to stay in this hotel again if we visit Portland in the future.

• Stayed: April 2007