“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #102 of 139 Hotels in Portland
West Hartford, CT
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2007

This was our first stay with La Quinta which was booked through the hotel website using AARP to get a great rate! The six night stay was the perfect choice for us while visiting attractions in Portland and the surrounding areas. Our accommodations were very clean and roomy and the no charge for covered parking was a plus. Its convenient location, a block from public transportation, made it ideal for visiting downtown. The helpful, friendly staff made our visit most enjoyable, and the free continental breakfast provided numerous healthy choices at the start of each day.

• Liked — Price, location, staff
  • Disliked — Exterior staircases
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank emag06117

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2007

Was surprised to pull into this hotel and see its very dated exterior, unlike any other La Quinta I've stayed at, but then more surprised at the super friendly staff. The location is great and the price is low for the area. The room was also dated, but clean and fairly quiet. I'm big on quiet, so that boosts the rating for me. If you're tall, you won't like the shower head placement as it is about 5'8" high. Had a little problem getting some of the fitness machines to work right. Had to unplug and plug them in again to reboot.

All in all, I rated this hotel fairly well because it was clean, quiet, inexpensive, in a good location with friendly staff. But if appearances are important to you, you may be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2007
Midwest-USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2007

This place is convenient if you want an inexpensive room and don't have your own transportation. It's much cheaper than downtown hotels and is a block or two from the MAX and busline. Plus, there are several restaurants and coffee shops within walking distance. This place also has a 24/7 indoor pool and laundry room - Very convenient!

The service was impeccable! Someone even checked in on me after I checked in to make sure I was getting settled in and offered me a variety of amentities.

However, the staff and service can not make-up for the paper-thin walls in the building. True story: I could hear someone barfing in the room above mine!

Quick tip #1: If you have your own transportation (like I did), I recommend heading east of Portland. I did and found a room at an "Express" hotel for the same cost, but with better facilities and amentities.

Quick tip #2: If you do stay here, request a 2nd floor room and bring your ear plugs!

• Liked — The value, location, and service
  • Disliked — paper-thin walls
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank TravelWisely79
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2007

This hotel has a great location. It's very close to MAX light rail and has a bus that goes directly to Union Station. Several restaurants are just across the street. And we really enjoy the friendly service! Although the hotel apperance is old, the rooms are very clean. Our group all agree to stay in this hotel again if we visit Portland in the future.

• Liked — Great location!
  • Stayed April 2007
1 Thank purpleseattle
Port Ludlow, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2007

Heading to Portland for a wedding, we were looking for a motel with a central location and good reviews, within our price range. LaQuinta, Convention Center was one of few that met the criteria according to reviews I read on this site. The office personnel were friendly, professional and helpful. The room was very clean and comfortable. We asked to be assigned to the quieter side of the building. There was a refrigerator, microwave, hair dryer, etc., in the room. There were even decent light bulbs, a pet peeve of mine in most motels.

In the evening they bake cookies and serve them warm in the lobby, along with a colorful assortment of fruits, not just your generic apple & orange. They also serve a good breakfast, including hard boiled eggs, along with waffles and the common carbs like bagels, sweet rolls, toast, cereal, etc.

We noticed several children were enjoying the indoor pool in the late afternoon and evening.

LaQuinta is located close to several places to eat, both at Lloyd Center 3 blocks away, as well as Red Robin right across the street. There are several others within walking distance for any price range.

We used a 20% off coupon we had received when we stayed at LaQuinta in southern Oregon several years ago. They also gave us another coupon when we presented ours, to use in the future. They do have to be used at a different LaQuinta in the network.

1 Thank Warrenwanderings
Bend, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2007

Convenient location. Good access to mass transit. Staff was nice. No, it is not very new but the price made it a decent value. We would stay here again.
Having Denny's, Starbucks, and Red Robin so close is a plus or, its easy to get out and about. Portland has good mass transit. We used our car once in 3 days.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank gonepackin
Tacoma, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2006

We stayed at the La Quinta near the Lloyd Center Mall and Rose Quarter Convention Center for two nights on a Weekend Impulse rate of $59/night. The reservation was easy and the check-in was very pleasant. There was only one person at the front desk, but she was very efficient and served three customers ahead of me in short order, making sure each person felt very welcome. The location is very good, within walking distance of several restaurants, the convention center and coliseum, a large shopping center and the MAX stop that will whisk you into downtown for free. The property is a very old motel that is showing its age and wearing very poorly despite some recent touchups. We have stayed in many La Quintas since we were originally from Texas, and I cannot fathom how LaQuinta thought this would be an appropriate property for them when they purchased it a few years ago. Maybe they have plans to tear down this old building and build something more functional, but the current property is less than an old Motel 6 quality. Staff immediately fixed two problems with my room, a broken lamp and a broken bathroom heater. Maintenance was very pleasant and thanked me for letting them know about the issues. Housekeeping changed my blanket after I noticed several obvious brown crusties on it. The room is an average size for an old motel, but the bathroom is tiny. There is a postage stamp-sized shower, no tub, with the shower nozzle coming to the level of my chin, and I am only about 5'8". I guess that is ok if you do not want to get your head wet, but it makes it awkward in such a small space to have to bend or squat to get your head washed. There is no place in the shower to place toiletries, except the floor of the shower. There is one small holder for bar soap, and I was able to fit a sample sized body wash and my razor, but that is all. (see photo) The toilet is child-sized and an average male would find it very small. Bring your own hangers if you want to hang up your clothes, since none are provided. The walls are paper thin. I took other advisors' recommendations, and I got a room on the inner courtyard. Unfortunately, I was on the first floor with families with children in the room above. A bison herd would have been quieter. One can hear every word in the next room. I was awakened at midnight the first night by the couple in the next room talking at normal conversational levels. I did not care to hear the intimate proceedings, so I used ear plugs that I usually carry. Believe me, every single word is crystal clear, so be careful what you talk about. I was puzzled about the strong, lingering cigarette smoke smell in the corridors and my room, but I figured it out. Groups would congregate outside at the stair wells and smoke, and people would smoke in the underground parking area, right below the rooms. All of this smoke floods into the building when the doors open or when the outside vents are open on the heater/air conditioner. If you don't like the smell of smoke pervading what is touted to be a non-smoking facility, then stay elsewhere. Breakfast was a disaster. One lonely orange was all the fruit that was offered. The waffle irons were broken, they were out of the gravy advertized for the biscuits and gravy, and they were out of orange juice. This was right when they opened at 7 a.m. The front desk said that they had restocked everything by about 9 a.m., but that is much too late for us. Most people were happy with the various cold cereals and packaged sweets. There were large crowds of families with children, so there was no room to sit in the small breakfast area. We got oatmeal packets and yogurt and took them to our room. Even at my cheap rate, I would probably not stay there again. There are much newer budget motels in the area for about the same price. It looks like this place stays open on the basis that other hotels fill up when there are events at the convention center and this is a "last choice" motel that has frequent vacancies.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No Sound Insulation
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay Somewhere Else
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank tuddo

Travelers are raving about these Portland hotels