“Overwhelming Odor. "You'll Need to Wait 2 Days to Speak with a Manager."”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland NW
Ranked #62 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed September 8, 2009

I agree with another poster that commented on the bizarre area this hotel is located in (heavy industrial area and rail yard). My stay started by noticing the cigarette smoke smell when entering the lobby. When entering my room, I was blasted with a combination odor of cigarette smoke / Pine Sol / insect repellent. I tried turning on the TV, but the remote was not working (dead battery). I went to the front desk with my concerns. The battery in the remote was quickly replaced and the front desk guy stared at me. I asked about the room - he said he could put me in another. I decided to check the new room out before moving. It, too, had the same odor. I told him this wasn't acceptable and asked to speak with the manager. He said I would need to deal with it "after the fact". I asked him to explain - he stated that the manager would be available on Monday (this was a Saturday night). I quickly cancelled the reservation I had made for later in the week at this same place. The rest of my stay was spent hearing my neighbors' conversations due to the thin walls and trying to get the heating/cooling unit on the wall to stop making such a racket. The fridge also made a ton of noise, but I could unplug that. Breakfast was ok (cereal, coffee, etc.) but get there first thing, because they do not restock. I would sleep in my car before returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland NW

Reviewed August 28, 2009

Let me start by saying that the staff was very helpful in getting our reservations in Woodburn transfered to their facility without fee/penalty. And that the room is very nice, clearly recently remodeled. The breakfast room was great, food amazing. Laundry facilities onsite were very helpful.

However, there were some major downsides in my opinion:
Close to downtown, by means of being in the train yard.
Hotel staff told us there were no bathtubs available in standard rooms, only in suites. By no bathtub I mean... apparently all of the showers in the facility are handicap accessible. Which is great... except the shower is small and the seat takes up most of it (even when closed).
Room backed up onto the Hertz rental location

I would recommend this location for a quick nights stay for a clean, safe-ish place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Free breakfast. Free parking. Free internet.
What we were looking for.
Its out of town, or the downtown part, but its closer to the restaurant district. We walked around aimlessly downtown looking for a normal place to eat, with no help from the locals, except to ask for change (many times).
Portland is a beautiful city, but the numerous YOUNG street kids are killing the image in my opinion. I would stay again, and I would choose this hotel, but be prepared to be a little off the track.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2009

I still can't figure out why there is a hotel in the middle of a heavy industrial area and rail yard. It is completely surrounded by large industry thus making the area not too nice and not within walking distance of anything... unless you work in a nearby factory!

The bathroom was not clean (tub and walls dirty and stained). The bed only had sheets and the nasty bedcover, no blankets. The hair in the bed was not a good replacement for a blanket.

The "hot" breakfast was sad at best, tasteless cheese omelet-like things, cold biscuits, and an empty OJ dispenser... Yuk.

On the plus side the staff was very friendly!

If you are looking for a hotel close to downtown Portland or in the Pearl District, keep looking past this one. It was disappointing at best.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 2, 2009

A friend and I checked in here to escape a record-breaking heat wave in Portland. We wanted a place that had high-speed internet access, so we could work, and that accepted pets. La Quinta fit the bill perfectly. The room, though a bit small, was quite nicely decorated and comfortable. The air-conditioning worked well. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. There is a good area to walk the dog. The breakfast was decent. At first, I was not keen about staying on the first floor, which is partially underground, but I actually preferred it. Since we live in Portland, we didn't care about the NW Industrial zone location, but it is very close to downtown, the Pearl District and Northwest 23rd Ave. I would recommend this to out-of-town guests.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 31, 2009

We had been to this one two years ago before the remodel. That was fine, then, too. This time the room and building were very well-furnished - it was instantly apparent. So it felt comfortable. We like staying out of downtown and then driving in. The location is out in an industrial area, which is weird for those who first stay there, but for those who don't like congested downtown areas it turns out to be fine.

I have only two complaints with this La Quinta. For as nice as the rooms have been appointed, the are still serving breakfast on flimsy styrofoam "dishes." This seemed super incongruous with the updated place. In fact, it seemed stupid. It really put me off. We had stayed just previously in the La Quinta down in Albany, OR and they have not been updated at all, but they manage to provide real plates for the breakfast. Also, the side security door kept being propped open with the outside trash can by somebody, (kind of makes the security keys worthless) and when my husband told the front desk he got the impression that he was telling them something they didn't think was a big deal.

I would definitely stay here again. I like how La Quinta's not only accept dogs, but don't charge extra. This is really great for us as we don't go anywhere without our pooch.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2009

This hotel was nice. Breakfast was awesome! Pool is relaxing! Staff is friendly! Rooms are not huge but good size. I reccomend this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
mighotels, Regional Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland NW, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2009

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write something about our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the pool and our friendly staff.

Kind Regards,