“I loved the old location, still good but not the same”
Review of Jimmy Mak's - CLOSED

Jimmy Mak's
Cuisines: Armenian, Greek
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Pearl
Reviewed August 25, 2012

The old location was amazing! gold walls and paper on the tables that you could draw on and take home, very romantic! The new location is larger but just not the same romantic feel. The music is always great! Food is great, I suggest the gyro...yummm! But the new space is just not as cozy as the old one. The old place used to have a bar downstairs where you could play pool and a great jukebox. I think they should class up the new place and go retro like they used to be...just my opinion.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I must admit, nothing particularly magnificent about this place except for the quality of the girls. Always a great selection of beauties.......

Reviewed July 21, 2012

We are winding up a week in Portland, and wanted to hear some live music. The Portland Oregonian Newspaper's Friday A&E section had a great listing of events, including one right up our musical alley - live jazz!

A young local performer (Saxophonist Hailey Niswanger) was having a CD release party at Jimmy Mak's (221 NW 10th Ave. (between Davis and Everett) Friday July 20, just a few hours after I read the paper. I called the restaurant/jazz club at 4:30pm left a message, and received a call back 30 minutes later. We snagged the last dinner table! Cover charge $10 for this entertainer, may vary depending on the artist.

We had the classic grilled burger $12 and Blackened Salmon Caesar Salad - $16, plus a basket of fries. We each had a beer on tap - BridgePort Hop Czar Imperial IPA, and a Stella Artois, both $5

A little later we had a Talisker single malt -- for a reasonable $12

The venue was completely packed, all the dinner tables filled and people in all the various seats in the back of the room. We stayed for one long set - over an hour, and there were two more sets after we left.

If you are looking for live Jazz in Portland, check out this great venue!
Calendar of events and menus on their website http://www.jimmymaks.com/index.html

(I do wish people listerning to live music would listen to the music and not talk super loud within eyesight of the musician, and earshot of people there to listen to music. I gave the stink eye to one very loud party, and they toned it down a bit.)

Reviewed June 9, 2012

Although I "don't get around much anymore" this is still the best place to go for Jazz in Portland.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Decent food with a terrific music venue...that's hard to beat. Portland is very lucky to have Jimmy Mak's.