Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel
Reviewed July 31, 2010

I loved that this hostel was in an old victorian home. I was there one night on a Tuesday so I got to attend a "Concerts in the Secret Garden" night. The garden was very nicely decorated with a little wooden stage for the performers and the hosts had available local bratwurst served on local bread and local beers (for a small cost). It's located right next to the historical downtown Portland so the location was great. The decor in the rooms was nil but each area of the rooms had a desk and chair and window. My room had 4 bunks that were very comfortable. Everything was clean and the only thing I can complain about was the poopy smell coming from the bathroom we shared, I mean it wasn't gut wrenching but any poopy smell is a bad smell. Maybe there wasn't enough ventilation? I don't know. The service was great and the common rooms were really cute and the kitchens were huge. Also, all the girls were in bed and lights out by like 10:30 so that was good.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed July 7, 2010

Thank you so much to the guy who stayed a bit late for us when our flight was very delayed. The cab was much pricier than our planned MAX train from the airport but got us there very quickly. Private room was surprisingly spacious and fairly comfortable, close to the bathroom. We could hear our neighbours during the day, but it was quiet at night. There were at least three toddlers in the building at the time but we only really noticed them in the breakfast room. Fridge was pretty full but we found room for our haul from Trader Joes which is a short walk up the road. Pretty walkable to most of downtown. Room was pretty spartan, but the bed was comfortable. We didn't spend much time in the room. Bathrooms got pretty steamy if people didn't prop the door open after a shower. Tub floor + slippery soap made for a dicey combination - a mat or some kind of textured floor would be safer.

Great four night stay, only complaint was that it was a bit warm when first going to bed during a rare very warm June weekend. Would stay again. Might bring a fan if I were planning a long stay in warm weather. Free Wi-Fi.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2010

I stayed in the hostel in Dec 2009 with my wife. The service was good, they were polite and gave us maps and explained us how to get to different places. My wife and I wanted privacy so we stayed in a private room. The room was ok, with no TV, no closets. It was clearly what we were expecting. But what we did not expect is to have the bathroom outside the room and shared with other rooms. We thought that because of the fact that it was a "private" room we will have all incorporated in the room. The bathroom was very clean, though. This is hotel is more for backpackers than people looking for a nice and warm stay with your couple. I would recommend it only for people with low budgets and that are willing to share bathrooms and the facilities with other people staying at the hostel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2010

This place was a godsend after a previous nights nightmare experience! Great clean hostel with kitchen and lounging facilities on a few levels. Fellow guests were quite friendly, as were the staff. You could have (paid) use of the internet here, as well as buy your Portland postcards! On arrival, the girl at the desk supplied us with tourist maps and marked additional places to eat, shop, sightsee, etc on it. It was really useful.
The room we stayed in was a mixed four bed dorm which was perfect for our little party of four. It had plenty of room for us and the added bonus of privacy from other guests.
The kitchen here supplied free bread for the guests, which of course became a staple part of the diet while we stayed!
Nice place overall!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 21, 2010

I briefly stayed here after changing my traveling plans at the last minute. I traveled with another 2 people and stayed in a 6 bed dorm. The rooms were of a good standard and were spotless and the staff were extremely helpful and friendly, giving us directions to the local bars and pubs when we needed a drink or 3! The drinks and snacks were also reasonably priced and if your up for the challenge of a short walk, you can get free pizza on selected nights in a local take away place! Overall a good hostel I would recommend this to any travelers on a budget (although you may be able to find cheaper!)

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 4, 2010

Excellent hostel, very clean. Adam on the front desk was very helpful with the introductory tour and pointing out places to go around town. Bathrooms were very clean, and water was always hot, unlike certain other HI places I've stayed in (Vancouver, cough).

It's a cool place to stay, and about a 5-10 minute walk to a couple of good pubs and Powell's bookstore.

Honestly, I've been in worse hotels and paid three times as much. Fully recommended.

Reviewed November 19, 2009

I had 6 night at this hostel during conference at Oregon.
I enjoyed myself very much. The stuff were grate, the atmosphere was very friendly & the location was excellent (downtown but quiet!).
I have some pics i might add later.
Cheers