Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hostel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014

This hostel is in a beautiful old house....that has been divided into dorm rooms.

From the outside the hostel in stunning and when you walk through the kitchen, dorms, bathrooms....it has real homely feel to it and has kept its originality and style....which is different from most hostels I have stayed at.

The place is clean, plenty of space to relax and its in a great neighbourhood - close to public transport, shops and ideal for exploring.

The beds are a little uneasy.....I found even the littlest movement made so much noise and they didn't seem to sturdy....but hey I got some sleep so I cant complain.

One thing I did get from this hostel is that the people staying and some of the staff are not the friendliest.....it seemed like no-one wanted to mix and communicate and just kept themselves to themselves, which is fine but isn't what hosteling is about. Some of the staff I didn't even see crack a smile...but hey each to their own

All in all a good hostel, clean and perfect location

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

For the solo female traveller looking for a private room I absolutely recommend this hostel. I stayed 6 nights (an extra one because I didn't want to leave it or Portland). I stayed in three different private rooms (I didn't know how long I'd be staying). Each was spacious, large double bed, high ceilings with a view of the street trees. The rooms, kitchen and bathrooms were kept to a high standard of cleanliness. There was a good atmosphere in the hostel - ie. mixture of ages with staff and travelers being respectful of each other. I found the staff very helpful. The hostel is located in the trendy alphabet district. It is only a 7 mins walk the the Pearl district and a bit longer to get to downtown. While staying in a private room is not cheap. It was worth it for me. No hesitation recommending these rooms.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank thosedancingdays
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

I guess for the price you can't expect much. Paid about $60 for a private room but it didn't really do much good. The walls are paper thin and there are unsealed door connections between rooms so I could hear every snore, sneeze, and sound from all the rooms around me.

The staff were nice and the breakfast was ok, but I wouldn't spend any money on the private rooms.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank J T
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stayed for two nights with my wife in a private room. The room we got was great, very large and had a couch and table. Pretty good at $80 given the location. We were on the second floor and there were two full bathrooms and a separate toilet, plenty available and we never had to wait for a shower or to use the toilet.
Staff were friendly and helpful with suggestions for dinner. They actually seemed like they were interested and happy to be there unlike other hostels we have been at.
Location is excellent quiet area in the NW district of Portland. Close to some good pubs, Fred Meyer supermarket (the best I've ever been to) and MAX station near Jeld-Wen field.
We were very happy here and would definitely stay again if ever back in Portland.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Graeme_Mitch
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

This place had all the basics covered - it was clean, had a nice kitchen, free wifi, good location etc. The staff were friendly. I wouldn't say this hostel was amazing but I had no issues with it and it was a safe place to sleep for one night.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Matt G
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

I stayed in a private room located in a separate house than the hostel. It is literally next door, you just go to the backyard and there is the entrance to the house. The house was beautiful, I liked that I was in a house and not a hotel building.

The room was tiny but it was fine. Couldn't open the windows, though, and I was hot. I ended up buying a clip-on fan to be comfortable. A day or two later I returned to Portland and got yet another private room in this place and it was giant. It could have roomed 3 or 4 people comfortably, and I believe it may have had a ceiling fan but my memory on this is hazy. Same price. I wish they charged different prices between these two very different rooms. I just recall being so much more happy with this room and not having temperature issues. This is the only problem I had with this place.

The kitchen areas in both buildings were large, quite adequate. They had a laundry that I used but they only had one machine. Otherwise this hostel was clean and cheap, I would return here again if I visited the area. It was close enough to be walking distance to the city if you didn't mind walking 15-20 minutes. The staff was very helpful, as I recall.

Nice neighborhood, places to eat nearby a few blocks in any direction. It was basically like a residential neighborhood but imagine you are only a few blocks into it before you see the city with its amenities. Only a few blocks from a rental car place too, that was extremely helpful.

For the price it can't be beat.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ibadger
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

This hostel is really easy to find & the location is great.

You are able to walk around the city from the hostel to explore Portland & the staff are more than willing to help you find areas/stores that you want to find.

As a solo female traveller I am always conscious of the hostels & areas I stay, but found no problems here!

The locals were friendly & there are a lot of bars & good restraunts nearby.

Would highly recommend!