“Good Location and value”

Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Recently completed two different stays here while travelling through the Northwest. Both times I had private rooms, and they were both nice. The building on the 18th Avenue, with the main building, is the better choice. There are plenty of food and coffee options in the vicinity, and the trains in to downtown are only about a 5 minute walk away. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking to save a few bucks if you only plan to be in your room sparingly.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is one of the cleanest and friendliest Hostels I have stayed in. It was also pretty quiet (Rare for a downtown hostel.) The bathrooms and dorm rooms were very clean. There is a nice kitchen area to make your own food, also very clean. I have been in some NIGHTMARE hostels and this is definitely a shining example of how a hostel should run. Great job ladies! Thank you, I will recommend this place to all who are coming to Portland.

My girlfriend and I stayed in a Co-ed Dorm room. Even though we couldn't sleep in the same bed, it was very inexpensive for both of us to stay. ($52 for 2 people)

Breakfast was sparse, but really good... Coffee and Toast, but both really nice quality. Great bread from a local bakery and beautiful coffe from the shop across the street.

Room Tip: Book early if you want a private room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
NWPortlandOR, Manager at Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Hi David!

Thanks for the kind review! We really appreciate it! Please visit us again next time you're in PDX! THANK YOU!!!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Yes, this was one of the prettiest and cleanest hostels I have been, having had a membership and traveled the world in them. But beware, they rip you off! The hostel guide had them at $30, we were going to stay there before when I checked it out so I had cut and pasted that info. Indeed, some reviews mention $25 rooms.

I was checked in by a young English woman, that turned out to be a manager. She said private rooms were full, so I could use the private apt, at $75 apprrx [with tax and parking I paid well over $82, which is how much the Marriot goes for dtn]. She said I could use half the flat, as long as I didn't touch the kitchen or other bedroom. Fair enough, we are from Port Townsend and I have rented many a honeymoon suite with the same directions not to use certain rooms to get a discount. I also had to wait for them to use my room for a meeting from 4-5, but I was gone and my plans had fallen thru. I came back, had to dump my purse to find all the keys, was talking to my husband, who runs a hotel here in PT, when a worker and a man came waltzing in! It was not explained to me that they bumped me from my room, I could use the bunkbed room, I had NO choice, was livid and demanded refund and they REFUSED. I was told to wait til morning, had no choice but what they did to me! My husband moves people to different rooms all the time for tiny reasons; sharing with this man was a HUGE reason. Again, I was told PRIVATE. My husband told them how to move me to another room, he had to walk then thru it. I was bumped, that room was cheaper [either $30 or $52, depending upon whom you speak to]. Also, FYI the place is LOUD and 'breakfast' is Dickension bread and runny peanut butter, no napkins. I don't know how many hostels I have stayed in, from tiny villages to big cities in Europe, and been lovingly given a hot meal, with a folded napkin and silverware; this was worse that prison service or food!

I waited til I got back, spoke to same manager, and she admitted booking me nad telling me all that, but no refund. They also had said I could have rented the whole flat at $170. same price as Hotel Monaco. This is a HOSTEL not the Hilton, and they are charging way too much of they think they can get it. We are disputing it on our credit card. Cute and clean, but you may as well stay at a hotel for less!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lisa W
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights in a 4 bed male dorm. I had an overall pleasant stay with no major complaints. The dorm was clean, quiet and comfortable. I was assigned a top bunk bed which is smaller than the bottom beds and a little small for my height. There were plenty of showers and restrooms- I never had to wait for one. Everything was kept clean, and the staff were very friendly and full of local information. Free wifi worked great. I enjoyed the fresh bakery breads and jams in the morning. Don't expect a full breakfast. The hostel is in a nice quiet neighborhood, about a 15 minute walk to downtown. Lots of events and activities if you're interested. I paid about $35 a night after tax & the HI membership fee, not exactly cheap for a bunk bed. But it's still the best value when you compare it to hotel prices in the downtown area. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: If you're tall- ask for a bottom bunk bed, they're bigger.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is quieter than the Hawthorne Hostel in Portland, even though it is very close to the freeway and a main road. It's on the corner of 2 one way roads, so that cut the traffic in half compared to the heavy traffic on Hawthorne and the freeway noise is blocked by a couple of blocks of solid buildings. I stayed in a private room right over the front door upstairs and it was much smaller than I expected - 9'X9'. The saving grace was a large window on the outside wall that went almost from floor to ceiling and the ceilings in the entire building were very tall (a nicely preserved old house). I guess really didn't need much more room, but I sure couldn't have made it with much less. There wasn't a dresser or closet. There was a small table, so that's where I put my suitcase, which took up the entire table. There were about 4 or 5 hangers on a hook on the door, so I could hang a couple of things. I paid close to $70 a night (without the Hostelling International discount) for Tues - Fri nites, which I thought that was a bit steep for the size of the room. There was no soap or shampoo in the bathroom. I forgot my soap so it would have been nice if they would have done what Hawthorne Hostel did by keeping soap and shampoo left by previous tenants in a basket that anyone could use. There were 3 bathrooms (2 with showers) to share between 6-8 rooms upstairs and I never had a problem getting one when I needed it. Water was always hot enough and pressure in shower was good. Kitchen was large and easy to use, but did not have much in the way of spices or food left behind by others that was free to use for anyone. It would be nice if Hawthorne could send over half their shampoo, soap and spices and there would be plenty for both locations. They are very environmentally conscious, so recycle bins are in the kitchen and there are no paper towels or paper napkins anywhere. Cloth napkins were available for anyone to use and they laundered them. They provided you with a towel and I also requested an extra blanket because I always need one no matter where I stay. The temperature was perfect for me day and night, which was good because I don't think there was anyway to adjust the temperature myself. The NW section of Portland is largely residential and it's easy to find grocery stores and restaurants within easy walking distance. It's also an easy walk into SW,which is the downtown/business area. It's a quick 4-5 block walk to the Tri Met that goes directly to the airport - very easy. This would still be my favorite place to stay when I go, I would just like to see the price lowered a little.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I only stayed one night here, had I stayed longer I might have met more people and had a more enjoyable time. The staff were very helpful at pointing out the tourist activities and there was a "free" (you just pay for public transport) walk to the park overlooking portland, which was pretty good.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed for just one night in a private room. It was clean and quiet, though spartan. Bathrooms - same thing. I found it a convenient place to stay, safe neighborhood, parking available, a decent price. Nothing fancy but a very solid place to stay.

Staff was not unfriendly but weren't very outgoing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo