Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed for just one night in a private room. It was clean and quiet, though spartan. Bathrooms - same thing. I found it a convenient place to stay, safe neighborhood, parking available, a decent price. Nothing fancy but a very solid place to stay.

Staff was not unfriendly but weren't very outgoing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed March 3, 2013

The location was good and the staff were really friendly but that's about where it's good points end. I was given a room in basement which I found to be cold and when I put my boots on the morning they felt like they were damp. No one spoke to anyone else so it was hard as a solo traveller to meet other people. I found a lot of older men and woman to be staying there which appeared to be on a longer term basis. On the plus side, due to this factor the hostel is extremely quiet at night. They were in the process of renovating the bathroom closest to my room so I had to walk through a room full of these older men to shower. This made me feel somewhat uncomfortable. The bathroom was of a good standard however. If you stay here you really need to visit the coffee shop across the street. The staff are exceptionally friendly. If you are staying in Portland for just a couple of nights then I would stay here but if you're going to be in the city for any great length of time, I would look elsewhere.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 11, 2013

It's an oversized hostel where nobody really chats with anyone. The front desk morning crew is friendly, however 50% of the afternoon team leaves a lot to be desired. No smile, no friendliness, and an absolute lack of interest in the fact that the dorm room is cold and has no heat. (According to her, the heat comes through the wall or some non-existant place.) Gotta wonder what the manager was thinking when they hired this woman. In addition, the "in the morning we have pastries" part is bogus. Both mornings I was there, there was nothing except a cut loaf of bread w/knife on the board. And it wasn't because I'd gotten there at the end of breakfast time. Only when I commented for a 3rd time and to a different receptionist about the lack of heat in the dorm room was something done. But just barely; she had found the radiators turned off, but then opened them only a miniscule amount (which I discovered the following morning). If you're in the attached building, you'll constantly hear the downstairs door slamming shut, even during sleep hours. Also beware that you don't get sheets - you get a potato sack to sleep in.

The 2 kitchens are impressive with their cleanliness and size, but that just doesn't cut it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
NWPortlandOR, Owner at Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write about your stay with us. It's disappointing to hear that your experience was unpleasant. I've put most of my life into creating a hostel that is a "home on the road" for travelers. Our ratings and comments are mostly high, but I do listen to those with criticism. We take pride in hiring staff who have traveled themselves and understand how to make travelers feel welcome and comfortable. I would really appreciate it if you had a moment to message me personally about your stay, so we can improve where needed. Thank you, Jim

Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is one of the best hostels in the US! The staff is so helpful and informative. The location is nice, quiet, safe and just a jaunt to some great places. Its a short ways over the bridge from Amtrak. I loved the area and people so much I wanted to move there!

Room Tip: It was a wee bit cold, you might want to bring an extra blankie!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Even though the location is not super central there's lots of restaurants and bars rather close by. Aside from the location this hostel is how a hostel should be like: very clean, friendly and helpful staff, a simple breakfast in the morning and a place where you can meet other travellers.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The accommodation was very comfortable with a nice room. comfy beds, clean and warm. The bathrooms were clean, the common places were homey and I would happily stay here again. The price was reasonable and the location, although not central, was only a short walk to great shops, cafe, restaurants and bars. And the city centre was only a 15-20 minute walk away. The only issue I had was with the central heating being noisy when it turned on and this kept me awake during the night. But temperature was good!

Room Tip: Guest house rooms were very comfortable for a couple or two friends travelling together.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bethyboo81
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Location is disastrous, basically in the middle of nowhere - in no way convienient. Breakfast is a slice of bread!! Rooms were incredibly cold in November and the radiators were never heated. Just one blanket supplied for bedding. We stayed in the second and hence had to go out into the rain for reception and breakfast etc. Wouldnt recommend particularly due to location.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank tbyrne87
NWPortlandOR, Owner at Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Sorry to hear your stay with us was not the best. Most of our guests rate us quite high and especially our central location in Portland's active historic district. We are in a quiet part of the neighborhood, which is why we give each guest a free map and map tour directing them to the arts Pearl district (just 3 blocks away) and NW 21st and 23rd, full of nightlife, cafes and shops, a few minutes walk. Downtown and the MAX train to the airport are a short walk as well. With the numerous cafes surrounding us, we have opted to keep our rates low and provide a light breakfast. We also believe in providing only healthy options. Our breakfast breads and pastries are baked up the street at a local artisan bakery. We provide natural peanut butter and Oregon organic jam. The coffee is roasted right across the street at World Cup Coffee. Lastly, in our shared dorms we keep the heat at a temperature that is comfortable to most and provide extra blankets for those who prefer it warmer. We hope your future hostel stays are good ones.