“Clean, new hotel provides high quality stay at bargain prices”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland North
Ranked #88 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed September 22, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Fairfield Inn at Portland North Harbour for 4 nights. We were touring Portland and visiting with our sons who both live in Oregon. While at first we were worried that the Inn might be a bit out of the way, it turned out to be easy to get to Downtown and NW Portland via the Hwy 5 entrance, which was a block away. We also were able to get into inner NE Portland easily via Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, which is even closer than Hwy 5. And, the bonus is that it was close to the airport. Still, it was quiet, clean, and the staff was very helpful. The breakfast was standard Marriott type of arrangement--buffet with cereals, yogurt, toast, muffins, and waffles. If you're looking for an inexpensive alternative to some of the hotels that are closer to downtown, this is one to consider. It's also very close to the Expo center, which I suspect I will be visiting in the future for tradeshows.

Even though there is a fair amount of construction going on around there, it never affected our sleep or quality of our stay. We were very happy with the arrangements and will be back.

Oh, one more thing. The wireless Internet service was free and instant-on. I was not required to go through any portal page to get to the Web.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 21, 2009

We arrived late thinking that I had made reservations at this hotel. The desk manager did everything he could to find the hotel I had reserved including letting us use his internet service and even made calls for us. We couldn't belive the price for a room.It seemed low for the quality of the rooms. I think this is a new facility and it was squeaky clean. I just glanced at the pool and saw that it was nice and we did take advantage of the free breakfast. Most of these continental breakfast are much the same as was this one but I liked that the 'server' kept everything full and all the spills,etc cleaned up. There is a nice walk along the Columbia River.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2009

EXCELLENT value, very clean, fantastic service! Really cool decor, great breakfast. I can only say this place is really great and will stay again when in the Portland area. EXCELLENT VALUE! The "Green Tea" decor is really cool and very modern. This was the BEST lodging we had on our trip via Seattle and Canada. NOTHING compared to this place. I do definitely recommend the Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland North Harbour. You would be crazy to pass it up.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Definitely recommended.
We used it as a stopover hotel on our way to California.
Fabulous stay!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2009

I decided to spend a little more than I usually do ($100 a night as opposed to about $80) and the difference was immediately apparent. Spa, Pool, better breakfast, flatscreen TV, LAN and WiFi Internet. I was also treated to the most helpful front desk staff I have met. Eager to assist above and beyond the usual level you'd expect they were polite, welcoming and knowledgeable. Also, and I understand this is a unique feature to this hotel, in room sound-spa with soothing rainforest / summer night / rain / waterfall sounds to lull you to sleep. A great idea and one instigated by one of the staff.

In short this is a great hotel combining excellent facilities with personal service.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 2, 2009

A great hotel. Good value - definite worth considering next time we are in the Portland area. Only downside is the location. We had a hard time finding the place and once we did, it was another challenge in trying to drive into the driveway as the road meanders and curves throughout the development. Even our GPS was confused. Maybe if we had come in during the day, it would have been easier.

The hotel is located in a new development that is still being built. So maybe once it's finished, access will be easier. A fellow traveller coming in after me also had the same comments about access.

Rooms are spacious, very clean and trendy. It was like staying in a boutique hotel. Check in was fast and friendly. Bed was very comfortable. And the bathroom was spotless. The hotel was located next to the freeway. They offered a sleeping kit to help any light sleepers. We were ok as the air conditioner provided white noise.

We had dinner in Portland before arriving in the hotel. But during our drive in, we did not see alot of eateries nearby. You might need to drive back into Portland or Vancouver for places to eat.

We would definitely reconsider the next time we are in town. The price was good for what we got. Just make allowances for finding the place and having to drive for dinner.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2009

I look at reviews all of the time and I find them very useful in making my decision but I have never written one until now.

I am writing this at 4:45 am as I can't sleep and I haven't all night long. The noise in the rooms from the outside traffic is the worst by far that I have ever experienced in any hotel.

We are staying in a 3rd floor room and I haven't heard noise from other units I have just heard it from outside. At first I thought there must be a window open but this isn't the case. I should have paid attention when I noticed a sign which said "....Sound Spa machine has been provided to ensure that you receive a restful and relaxing night of sleep while at our property. Complimentary earplugs are also available upon request" but with a 2 year old busy chattering away I didn't look at the sign.

We did try the sound spa but we had to have it so loud to drown out the outside noise that we found it annoying. As for earplugs, well with a 2 year old that just isn't an option. We tried switching to a different room across the hall and at the opposite end but while it was less noisy the traffic was still very loud.

I personally would never EVER recommend this hotel to anyone because of the noise.

Good luck if you decide to stay here!
Laura

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
ElizabethMulder, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland North, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2009

As the general manager of this property, I feel that all guests have the right to share their experience at my hotel, whether good or bad. The reason I am responding to this review is because I believe it is a very unfair depiction of what actually transpired during this guest's stay.
These guests did stay at our property and were placed into a room facing the highway because it was the last room available for the type of room they had requested. As soon as they complained, they were immediately moved to a room on the other side of the property, from which we never receive any complaints of noise. For some reason, and the guest admits this, the wife of the party decided to stay in the "noisy" room, while her husband and daughter moved and slept just fine in the new room. So instead of choosing to enjoy a night of sleep, she instead chose to stay in the old room and get frustrated to the point of writing this review. The next morning our front desk staff went out of their way to find other accommodations for these guests for the remainder of their trip, since they were displeased with their experience and we did not have a room that would suit their needs. They refused any help that was offered.
As you can see by the other reviews posted for this property, our staff constantly strives to accommodate every guest to the best of our ability. If we offer a solution to a problem and the guest chooses not to accept it, that is their decision.
Thank you for your time.