“Love the owner, staff? Not so much...”
Review of La Moule

OR
Order Online
Ranked #216 of 5,039 Restaurants in Portland
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The last time I was here, I loved this place. We met the owner and he was super helpful and a wonderful guy. This time the staff was bitchy, lazy, and a 4 on a 10 scale. Cat's away, rats will play.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (81)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The mussels were better than I had in Belgium or Paris. The chef gets them in several times a week and all orders are cooked when you order, not waiting in a pot to be scooped out. So it did take a while because on Saturday night, there were lots of people. We had the Au Safran broth and the Mariniere. Both excellent. Lots of broth. Frites were good. Very large order so we just got one and shared it. Also ordered the Dragon's Lingerie Beans & Padron Peppers. Very unique but delicious. This was brought as an appetizer which was a good thing because we waited a while for the mussels. Service is friendly and competent.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed August 11, 2019

Group of 4 - 3 had mussels, and they were excellent. I like the traditional Belgian style, and these were very good. More broth than I needed, but that's ok. The frites were ok, a little on the skinny side.
The 4th of us doesn't like mussels, opted for the Spaetzle. I don't know what it was, but it didn't look like any Spaetzle I'd ever seen before. Kind of a green mushy bowl. She should have chosen something else -- there were a couple of good looking steak platters on the menu.
Service was very good. It's all in the "progressive" area of Portland, so I left my MAGA hat at home!

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed July 17, 2019

Three of us arrived promptly for the beginning of their 5:00-7:00 Happy Hour. Two of us ordered the Moules Meuniere (white wine and herbs base), but I also tasted the the Moules Putanesca (tomato base). All very good.
The Happy Hour prices are roughly half off the regular dinner menu for selected items. Wines by the glass for $6 (no discount on bottles).
They serve the Frites on top of the Moules. Ask for them separate so they don't get soggy in the broth. Also order some bread so you can sop up the tasty broth. Or you can take the broth home, as two of us did, to serve over rice at home.
Indoor tables can get noisy as they get busier, but there are also several outside tables that would be better for noise or if you need [gasp] to smoke.

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed May 24, 2019

We had a terrific meal at La Moule after it was recommended to us by a manager at one of the wineries we visited. Fun cocktails, a delicious bottle of Oregon Viognier, chicken liver mousse, beef tartare and some incredible mussels in saffron broth made for a wonderful and delicious meal. We loved everything about it and can’t wait to go back!

Date of visit: May 2019