“Warning-Be Aware”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Portland
“Warning-Be Aware”
Reviewed May 6, 2009

People need to be aware that the last seating is 7:15PM on nights they are open, and the staff may also not be aware of this. On a Wends., I called and left a message to make a reservation for 7:30PM on the upcoming Fri. The recording indicated that a message asking for a reservation had to be confirmed by a return call so I left a number. Later that day, I was called back and informed that the restaurant we not be open on upcoming Fri. and the soonest that the could take us was 7:30PM the following Tues. I indicated this would be fine, but it was a strange conversation, so on Tues, I called a left a message saying that we would be there at 7:30PM that night and if this was a problem to please call back. I received no follow up call. We arrived at 7:30PM and were quite rudely informed that the last seating was at 7:15PM. I mentioned all the phone calls, that we could have easily made a 7:15 reservation if we were told that this was their last seating and the faculty member (I assume) was unmoved: he showed me that our reservation on the reservation list for that day was for 7:15PM, not 7:30PM and that no call back number was provided. No apology, just asked to leave. As for the food, I do not know and, likely will never know given this experience.

NW Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Prix fixe dining a stellar find”
Reviewed April 6, 2008

Bleu is the restaurant attached to the Western Culinary Academy in Portland, Oregon. It is an excellent value, as well as a place for really terrific food, well-crafted dishes offered on a nicely-though-out menu.

The chefs and servers are students, and any gratuity you leave is funneled back into the program in the form of scholarships. The menu is fixed price for either three or five courses, and the choices rotate based on season and skill levels.

I enjoyed my experience at Bleu. The dinner was a terrific experience, unhurried and tasty. it is a good travel tip that if the city you visit has a culinary school, check and see if they feature a restaurant. Eat with the up-and-coming chefs, and let them fine-tune their skills on you!!

1 Thank SilverSpringExPat