“Excellent BBQ”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Portland, Oregon
“Excellent BBQ”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The brisket plate I had here today is as good as any brisket I've had anywhere, Texas included. Delicious marbled beef, tender with good bark and a reddish smoke ring. The cornbread was great too, and even my non-red-meat-eating partner (podnah?) loved her meal -- she got the 1/2 chicken, and I've never seen her react so positively to a BBQ place before. They accommodated our 3 year-old with no trouble, and we'll definitely be coming back. I'm already starting to get hungry again thinking about the brisket. A nearby table had a big plate of ribs and they looked fabulous, next time I might get the "Pitboss plate" which has a little bit of everything for $23.

Lake Oswego, Oregon
“Lamb Ribs...”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I've heard about Podnah's for years now, and even get their emails. I recently was entertaining a special guest from the East Coast and decided to go after looking at their online menu and saw the magic words "Lamb Ribs". Some of the most mouth-watering aromas of BBQ greets you as you walk in - great little place (can't wait to try LaTaq next door). Friendly service, knowledgeable and happy to suggest side dishes and entrees. I recommend you go on Thursday nights, as that is the only night they serve the lamb ribs. No need for sauces (3 on the table plus honey) - the flavor is outstanding! But if you love good BBQ, any night of the week is well worth going!

washington
“needs better sides”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

The bbq was good. Our server was just ok, his tip revealed the lack of service, but experience still nice. I was very pleased with meat, portions not huge but adequate. The sides are ok. No salad for side, most of the sides left untouched. Collards were pretty good. Only choice of dressings for the wedge (saw it on a table, didn't look to appealing) are blue and thousands, too much mayo.
Too bad because bbq can be both healthy and true to its southern culture. And not just throwing beef brisket on iceberg with a hard boiled egg and calling it a salad.

Oregon
“Great BBQ”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Portland has some really good BBQ restaurants and Podnah's is one of them. We went for the first time today with our son and DiL and found it wonderful. Sunday, about 1:30, and there was a 30 minute wait to be seated. When our meal was finished at 2:45 or so there was available seating so I guess if you don't want to wait you have to go at an off time for a meal!

The restaurant is a large rectangle stuffed with tables. The tables are a little close together and the person behind me bumped into my back a couple of times. Not a big deal though, especially if it got us seated a little quicker.

The staff all appeared very nice; the hostess was very friendly, our server was attentive and answered questions with ease, and all the other servers appeared to be enjoying their jobs. This was appealing.

The food is excellent, provided you like BBQ. At our table one person ordered brisket and loved it, one person ordered pulled pork and loved it, one person ordered smoked whole trout and loved it; I ordered The Pitboss which is a sampler platter with brisket, pulled pork, ribs, and a sausage, and every one was stellar. I have to admit I'm a baby back rib guy and they cook spare ribs, but the ribs were still great. In addition, the sausage is called a "hot link" and the flavor is awesome but the heat level is actually mild. We all ordered BBQ beans as one side and they were fabulous; the collard greens were awesome, and one person had coleslaw which she thought was okay. Each plate comes with excellent corn bread, and the mustard and BBQ sauce on each table are very good.

One interesting side note: the server said before taking our order "we're not out of anything yet" which I though was odd. After reading some reviews it appears they do run out of product. This actually makes sense to me. This is BBQ which means some of the items, especially pulled pork and brisket, are cooked for hours on a smoker, like 8-12 hours. A small shop like this can't possibly throw away unused product every day and stay profitable, and it would be wasteful as well. They obviously cook what they hope to sell, but likely run out at times. As far as I could tell, sampling four items, I could go in with my heart set on one but if its all gone another would still make me happy!

Check their web for menu but know the menu posted is a little out dated and the prices are actually a little higher than we experienced in person.

Podnah's will likely be busy and you'll have a wait, but the atmosphere is uplifting, the staff is pleasant, and the food is very good! Highly recommended!

Portland, Oregon
“Best BBQ ever”
Reviewed April 2, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This has become one of our go to places in Portland. The ribs are fabulous. I love their baked beans as a side. Great ranch dressing too. The whiskey sour here is top notch.

Visited March 2014

Been to Podnah's Pit BBQ? Share your experiences!