“Turn It Down”

Transit: Trimet 72, 9, and 10
Portland, Oregon
“Turn It Down”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

This garage door opens up type of place is always busy with couples & groups drinking, chatting & enjoying designer sushi. It is fun, with some great murals on the walls & unique japanese food. We went for a birthday celebration & the food felt celebratory, as did the special sake we enjoyed, but the noise level was completely out of control. We couldn't hear each other talk & we were seated somewhat intimately around a small table. It ultimately urged us to leave rather than linger, which is maybe the point? No dessert or after dinner coffee for us, no thank you! It was a combination of loud talking & laughter bouncing off the walls & some kind of music over some speakers somewhere & overall, it was awful. Some tapestries along with their murals or rugs on walls or ceiling might help absorb some of the noise & I think it behooves them to figure something out. It ruins the wonderful food.

• Visited October 2013

Portland, Oregon
“Never Disappoints”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

There is nothing bad you can say about this place, it is a family favorite. We try and go at least once a month to Yakuza and we are never disappointed. My husband always gets the burger, one of the best that we or anyone we've taken there have ever had! I am a sucker for the Sashimi Trio and the Tuna Poke. The Kale Salad and Cucumber Salad are so light and refreshing (sometimes Jicama instead of cucumber but just as delicious!). We recently tried the Agedashi Tofu and the flavor is ridiculous. I am not a fan of tofu at all, but I will eat this all day long. We go so often that we are known by all the staff now, it feels like we are going to dinner at a distant relatives house. Whenever we have friends or family from out of town visiting, Yakuza is always a must.

palm desert ca
“My grandson likes it”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I guess it's a matter of taste. My 23 year old grandson chose it for his birthday and gobbled up the food. I had the worst hamburger of my life-- undercooked and way too spicy. They may have great drinks, but i don't indulge

Manzanita, OR
“Great place to enjoy a warm night in the city”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My daughter was in town and off she dragged me to Yakuza. I was in the mood for French food, but she was not. I was skeptical as the place was not that busy and it was a warm summer night, filled with folks walking around and looking for way to enjoy the evening. My fears were replace with great food and I am now a fan of Yakuza.

The service had something to be desired, there were six of us altogether and most of them professional servers themselves, but we managed by snagging servers that happened to be cruising by. In the defense of Yakuza, all the servers but ours seemed to be fairly adept. They have a lovely outside seating area with a gas lit fire pit that was very inviting but alas full.

Some of our favorite dishes were the cucumber avo salad, shaved kale and edamame salad, the donburi and the butter-like black cod. (Yum!) The dish that stole the show though, was the scalloped tempura. It looked like scallops with a bad hair day but were beyond delicious! One at our table got the highly applauded burger and were very happy with it. I might have to try that next time. I will be back another day, perhaps another warm summer night, abducted from french cuisine by my free spirited daughter.

1 Thank Ziabaki
Oregon
“multiple good surprises”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I would go back to Yakuza just for the cold kale salad with edamame. That may sound weird but the food is memorable. The pink martini with peppercorns was superb - each of us had three. Every dish was excellent, unusual, homemade. The restaurant has a private lodging in the back, with Japanese garden and soaking tub.

Visited July 2013