“multiple good surprises”
Review of Yakuza Lounge

Yakuza Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
Yakuza Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #657 of 4,430 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: NE Killingsworth
Transit: Trimet 72, 9, and 10
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I would go back to Yakuza just for the cold kale salad with edamame. That may sound weird but the food is memorable. The pink martini with peppercorns was superb - each of us had three. Every dish was excellent, unusual, homemade. The restaurant has a private lodging in the back, with Japanese garden and soaking tub.

1  Thank PatricksMom

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stopped in at Yakuza for cocktails before our dinner at Beast next door. The cocktails have unusual ingredients such as beet infused vodka and rhubarb simple syrup. I had the Elderflower, which was a grapefruit vodka cocktail. All of the other cocktails I saw made looked delicious, and the other patrons at the bar seemed to be enjoying them.
For more information about the other restaurants we ate at on our trip, feel free to visit my blog at http://katherinebelarmino.blogspot.com/2013/06/portlands-10-best-restaurants.html

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed this isakaya restaurant near the Alberta Arts district of Portland. I started with a beet martini (sic!!), The waitress assured me that if I didn't like it they would take it back. I found it to be perfectly balanced between savory and just enough sweetness. You couldn't taste the alcohol, but they assured us that there was 2 1/2 ounces of vodka in there.
My favorite dish was the donburi, a rice bowl that included a "crispy poached egg." My guess is that they coated a raw egg with panko and deep fried it for just the right amount of time.
Our dungeness crab sushi roll was excellent too!
I would definitely return to this restaurant. In fact , my husband is going to be away for a few days, and I might just go back by myself on Wednesday night. They said they would take good care of me, and I'm sure they would!!

Reviewed June 23, 2012

This is a trendy (and noisy) little restaurant in the Concordia neighborhood. The on-street parking was challenging due to the narrow streets in the area. We had no reservations but since the place was not yet full (before 6 pm on a Friday evening), we were seated first at the bar, then later on at a table after some patrons (with reservations) had decided to sit on the patio rather than in the dining room. We had heard their gourmet burgers ($12 a piece) were the best in town so we went ahead and ordered two of these, along with a cucumber salad and some hot tea. Service was friendly and very laid back, but somewhat uncoordinated. The salad (which was just OK) was served almost immediately, along with 2 glasses of water, but it took the kitchen 25 minutes to make the burgers (medium rare) which came out at the same time with the tea. The burgers were thick and juicy but there were no fries on the side like we expected. An interesting dining experience overall which was made affordable through a Google offer. I probably will not return however due to the location, the noise and the high prices.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We didn't have any expectations which I think always helps but all the dishes were highly flavored and delicious, not over flavored for the sake of being exotic or different. We had the kale, fennel and jicama salad and they were all delicious (small plate for $6 each), the ribs were so fall off the bones good, the kids asked for a 2nd plate of them, we shared the burger which is 1/2 of lb of goodness (one of the best burgers in town) on brioche bread but although it talks about shoe string fries, it had a few crunchy bits as a topping on the burger, not fries on the side like I expected (the usual American over feeding expectation), and a donburi which is rice topped w/ mushrooms, a soft cooked egg w/ deep fried crispy coating and a few kimchee daikon pieces which minus the mushroom and kimchee, the kids like very much. The ambience of very nice (beautiful wood, pretty mural) but the garden is the place to be if you can snag a spot. It was casual e/f for kids, esp w/ the side garage type doors pulled all the way open, the kids just walked out between courses to hang out. The service was a tad slow but I think that's the point in a place like this where they're trying to get you to buy drinks. Overall, it was a good experience but at over $60, not an everyday place.