“Now called Luchador...still awesome! ”
Review of Trebol - CLOSED

Trebol
Cuisines: Mexican, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Humbolt
Transit: There are two bus stops within a 5 minute walking distance to Trebol that is conveniently located on Albina street.
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

You can't go wrong with Tequila Tony's amazing drinks and Luchador's small bite menu. We've been coming here for years and are never disappointed. Love it!!!

1  Thank RQ-Traveler12

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I thought I knew what Mexican food was until I went to this restaurant. WOW!! The staff extremely
friendly and the Chef delivered our meal to our table. I love tamales and search for them when visiting new restaurants. Well I do not have to search anymore, these are the best tamales I have
ever had, crazy good. In fact when I got back to WI, I ordered two dozen for a party. If you ever get out to Portland this is a must stop.

1  Thank S F
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I had dinner at Trebol on Saturday and was very disappointed. There are several restaurants in the neighborhood and even though Trebol is a bit separated from the rest, it has a very pleasing look. The decor was nice, walls painted in Frida Kahlo yellow and red with paintings of Mexican wrestlers adding to the aesthetics of the place. Trebol is a pseudo- Mexican restaurant that does not really serve what most people would recognize as Mexican food. The menu looked quite creative with new ingredients like sweet potato in the enchiladas. We started with the panuchos and it was a salad on top of a cold tortilla. I ordered the special, which was a white fish that was tasteless on a bed of sweet potatoes and several pan-fried veggies. The colors were wonderful with beets and squash adding a bright orange and red to the plate. However, once I tasted it, I was sadly disappointed the veggies had no taste just like the fish and there was some kind of spicy sauce that was very hot (it tasted like mayo and ketchup with Tabasco).
For dessert my friend ordered sopapillas, which I had never tried before. These were good, fried wheat bread sprinkled with sugar with a side of honey to dip them into. All in all I enjoyed the company and wonderful conversation with my two friends whom I had not seen in a long time; thanks to that (and the fact that my friend had a gift certificate that he kindly shared with us) I didn't pay much attention to the not-so-great overpriced dishes at Trebol. Having said that, I only tasted three items of their entire menu and it would be unfair for me to assume that everything else is not good. However, would I return and give Trebol a second chance? No way José, there are too many options in Portland to explore.

1  Thank 524luzg
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We dined at Trebol on a Thursday evening and had a fabulous time. Starting off with signature blood orange margaritas, we were well taken care off throughout our meal. The anitjitos offered range from seasonal to traditional. The house salad with jalepeno and lime vinaigrette was tasty and affordable.

For the main we had the enchiladas con huevo frito. Great choice! Simple presentation, but great care with the seasonal veggies and excellent sauce.

I definitely recommend this place.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We have been a fan of Trebol's for several years and have never had a poor meal there. I am writing this review because Trebol has started a new program of 'Date Night Dinners". For $45 per couple you will recieve a pitcher of Margaritas (excellent: not sweet), a chips/guacamole appetizer (best guac ever), soup of the day or salad (both very good), and a choice of 3 entrees (both we had were excellent).

This program is a real bargain. But the regular menu is wonderful, traditional mexican dishes (not tex-mex) that are interesting, flavorful and reasonably priced.

The server who waited on us was excellent, very friendly but not over-bearing, knowledgeable and helpful. While we were enjoying the appetizer and drinks the owner/chef (Ken) came into the restaurant and greeted us. Later he personally delivered our meals. In fairness, on a Tuesday night the restuarant was only moderately busy, so whether this level of attention would be present on a busy night would seem not as likely.

Trebol's food and drinks have consistently been great and it has become a go-to place when we can't decide on another spot.