“Amazing elegance and service!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Portland's White House
Ranked #2 of 35 Portland B&B and Inns
Santa Monica
“Amazing elegance and service!”
Reviewed December 27, 2006

Portland's White House is a true gem! It has an elegance and warmth unlike any other place. It's like staying at the Ritz and the owners are your friends! Lanning and Steve add such a wonderful personal touch, staying their feels like home. And the food! You can't miss the truly delicious breakfasts every morning! AND, Lanning's famous chocolate chip cookies are too die for -- no joke! I look forward to many more stays at Portland's White House and staying in every gorgeous room!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Tips/Secrets — Relax, enjoy and have a wonderful time!
1 Thank TravelerSantaMonica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
San Francisco
Reviewed December 26, 2006

This place is really a gem, almost preposterous (for Portland, anyway) in its grandeur. Upon our arrival, we were greeted simultaneously by a profusion of porcelain figurines, the weighty heft of a huge staircase and a dude wearing Pumas and a smile who very kindly fetched me matches (from a tattoo parlor, as I remember).

We stayed but one night in the Carolina room, a second floor room in what I presume to be a part of a former carriage house. Though small, we felt surrounded by elegance and downright poshness. The sheets and pillows were divine. The bathroom was stocked with tiny Molton Brown shower gels and lotions. We had at least four pillows on our fourposter, also spread with a featherbed. Their down bedding is the only kind in the world that doesn't make me sneeze or wheeze. We slept like logs, if logs got to sleep on really good mattresses.

Breakfast in the diningroom is amazing. And fattening. Waffles, whipped butter, berries, coffee. The cooks are to be commended. But there may be nothing more yummy than the chocolate hazelnut (?) cookies they left on the dresser to tide us over before dinner on the night of our arrival.

My only concern (it doesn't even qualify as a complaint) is the pre-wedding raucus that may wake other non-wedding travelers who want to sleep in. It was summer, so what can you do. Next door to us, we heard a lot of whooping and hollering by Team Bride to Be, preparing to be wed downstairs that afternoon. But that was kind of cool.

All in all, a lovely and singular experience.

• Liked — The bedding
  • Disliked — The unending parade of wedding receptions held there in summer
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bathmatqueen
Delray Beach FL
Reviewed December 4, 2006

We coldn't believe how friendly everyone was when we got to this beautiful Inn. Lanning and his staff treat you like family. Going to sleep withthe smell of melt in your mouth thousand calorie cookies is devine. I was traveling with my 4 month old son and they were SO helpful from letting me wash my bottles in their sink to playing with him. It's very refreshing to have people so Baby friendly. The rooms were big with beautiful antiques and done very well. Great bed linens on the bed as well. Some B&B can be very stuffy not this one very friendly and helpful.
Thanks to Lanning and Steve and all the others for a Fabulous stay!!

• Liked — Frriendly service
  • Disliked — rooms were to hot
  • Tips/Secrets — Nope
  • Stayed November 2006
1 Thank Tera06
Irvine, California
Reviewed November 27, 2006

My husband and I were here for my birthday. Lanning, Ben and the staff were incredible!....this was one of the best B&B's we have ever stayed in and we will definately return. We especially enjoyed the gorgeous antiques.
Thanks for making my birthday so special!
Janet and Howard Emery

• Liked — The cleanliness of the room, fresh cookies, and classical music.
  • Disliked — the bed was too soft for me, but that is picky on my part.
  • Tips/Secrets — The Carolina Room is wonderful....and check out the antiques in the living room
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Janet E
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
Reviewed November 17, 2006

We visit Portland OR several times a year from Southern California, as we have two sons who live there. A few years ago we discovered the Portland Whitehouse and we now book our room there on every visit. This elegant Inn is llike a home away from home for us. The hosts bend over backwards to accomodate our needs. We truly feel that we are staying with "family" when we are at the Whitehouse.

4 Thank OLDSAILOR
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 8, 2006

I had a wonderful experience having my wedding a Portland's White House. It was intimate , elegant and with Lanning choregraphing the entire day it was lovely and worry free. The food was fantastic. The rooms are beautifully decorated and the beds are a little piece of heaven. And to top it off the property is a photographers' dream. I highly recommend this property.

• Liked — That it made me feel like a princess for the stay!
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jewelyn
Houston, TX
Reviewed October 3, 2006

I can't recommend this place enough. The property is beautiful and immaculate, and the room was perfect. Most importantly, Lanning is a gracious and kind host. I felt comfortable the moment I walked in. I should also add that the food was delicious, well prepared, and wll presented.

• Liked — Lanning. The owner/host makes all the difference in a B&B.
  • Disliked — parking
  • Tips/Secrets — book early, and make some time to hang around and talk. Lanning is very nice.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business